Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wedding? Oh my, offensive!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Which bits?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Which bits?

At my daughter's nursery school they aren't permitted to recite "Baa Baa black sheep". The reason being was it was considered offensive to use the term 'black' in that instance. Now IMO that's not really a bad thing if someone had actually complained about it but no-one has (any such complaints are always anonymously read out at PTA meetings).

The junior school I intend for her to go to when she's at the relevant age has outlawed the use of blackboards for the same reason.
  • Options
    At my daughter's nursery school they aren't permitted to recite "Baa Baa black sheep". The reason being was it was considered offensive to use the term 'black' in that instance. Now IMO that's not really a bad thing if someone had actually complained about it but no-one has (any such complaints are always anonymously read out at PTA meetings).

Individual schools may impose silly rules like that, but its few and far between. My partner was working in a school in inner city London last year where most of the pupils were black and they sung baa baa black sheep and had no problem with it. There is certainly no blanket ban on these things by the mythical "PC brigade".
    The junior school I intend for her to go to when she's at the relevant age has outlawed the use of blackboards for the same reason.

Most schools don't actually use blackboards and haven't for years - they use wipe clean boards and marker pens. Nowt to do with race and everything to do with cost and cleaning.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Individual schools may impose silly rules like that, but its few and far between. My partner was working in a school in inner city London last year where most of the pupils were black and they sung baa baa black sheep and had no problem with it. There is certainly no blanket ban on these things by the mythical "PC brigade".

I can only cite examples I've seen - my point is that it seems like certain people enjoy deciding on other peoples' behalf what they find offensive without asking them in the first place.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Most schools don't actually use blackboards and haven't for years - they use wipe clean boards and marker pens. Nowt to do with race and everything to do with cost and cleaning.

This was on the grounds that the term was offensive and 'outdated' - this was also discussed in a PTA meeting.
  • Options
    I can only cite examples I've seen - my point is that it seems like certain people enjoy deciding on other peoples' behalf what they find offensive without asking them in the first place.

I can only cite examples where this isn't the case.
    This was on the grounds that the term was offensive and 'outdated' - this was also discussed in a PTA meeting.

I doubt it somehow.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

also now, apparently you can't refer to them as white boards.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I doubt it somehow.

I assure you it's the truth and you have no reason to doubt me.
  • Options

Most PTA's are full of poseurs and self-righteous twits who love the illusion of a bit of authority - i.e. a marginal section of losers massaging their egos by sitting round a table discussing "matters of importance".

They're irrelevent.
  • Options
    True but said 'losers' often have an effective say in which direction a school is to go.
  • Options
    True but said 'losers' often have an effective say in which direction a school is to go.

You think? Different education systems maybe. Scottish PTA's don't have much power except in "tailoring" some aspects of the school as far as i know.
  • Options
    In that case I'm not sure how it works for you guys but around here, PTA meetings often dictate a school's future.
  • Options
    O_o wrote:

Rubbish
  • Options

Of course it was.

Nothing to do with the cost of cleaning and maintenance at all.

Also, who mentioned it? The school, the governors, or the resident Mail reader on the PTA?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I really find it shocking though. Add this to the number of other people within religious organisations that have been discovered... should there not be more checks to find out this first, like in alot of other jobs? We don't want an Ian Huntley situation on our hands here.

To work with children you need to pass the police checks in this country. Some professionals are exempt, such as doctors and dentists AFAIK.

Proportionally, there aren't that many priests who sexually abuse children. No more than in any other walk of life. It's not right, but that's life.

We could talk about doctors who indecently assault their young patients if you want.

Or the systemic abuse in children's homes, religious ones and otherwise.
    I feel the higher up guys don't know, and aren't really involved. But they could do something to prevent it happening, at least.

The senior clergy did know, but covered it up. That was the scandal.

But then again, the GMC and the Social Services covered systemic abuse up too.
    Yeah, but the kind of things he has probably done and his stance on many things makes me beleive alot probably never left him.

Like what?

His condemnation of promiscuity, contraception and abortion isn't anything new. Women being prevented from entering the clergy isn't anything new.
    There were far better choices, if Catholicism wants to progress as a more acceptable religion, instead of holding back.

A rather odious use of the word "acceptable" there.

Religion isn't about marketability. It's about doing what you think right. As I've said before, if everyone did as the Church doctrine says then sexually transmitted diseases, especially HIV, would disappear within 50 years. People won't, but that doesn't make the aspiration immoral.
    I wonder if they will ever give the vote to the actuall Church-goers?

That shows no understanding of how the catholic church works.
  • Options
    O_o wrote:

The key word there being 'apparently', white boards are called white boards by all those who use and sell them. Strange really given they are white and made of board.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    We don't want an Ian Huntley situation on our hands here.

What?

He was subjected to a CRB check...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Of course it was.

Nothing to do with the cost of cleaning and maintenance at all.

Also, who mentioned it? The school, the governors, or the resident Mail reader on the PTA?

The PTA secretary, why?
  • Options
    Hmmmmmm
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    What?

He was subjected to a CRB check...

Precisley. It's about time the system changed so the information was freely availible.

I am aware of how the Catholic Church works. I just think that people who attend church should have a say in how it is run, as opposed to the current system. It is their religion more than anyone elses.

Yes, AIDS would disapeer. But their are other ways of doing that too. And lets not get into the debate of "If it is/not a Moral Motivation, adn the outcome is still good, is it Moral?" argument. Segregation would also remove a large amount of the AIDS problem, like in Cuba. The AIDS problem in Cuba is now so low as to not matter at all. If everyone did as the Church Doctrine said, we would like in huts, fear God, have more children than we can support, and we still would not be true Christians, and destined, if the Bible is true, to burn in hell. Raw deal or what? ;p

I don't think the Pope or such knew of the child abuse. I meant the high, high up guys.

PTA? One of the more important influences on a school. It has a fair deal of power really. Yes, thier was a "Black Board/White Board" argument. All stupid if you ask me. Like the "Ba ba black sheep" thing... I mean, we can't even observe colours? WTF? Yellow next I guess... don't want to offend Asians! And brown... then infact, we will just stop using colour at all! And then speaking.

It's about time people started living in the real world.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Precisley. It's about time the system changed so the information was freely availible.

I am aware of how the Catholic Church works. I just think that people who attend church should have a say in how it is run, as opposed to the current system. It is their religion more than anyone elses.

It's about time people started living in the real world.

Yes and workers in any company or proffession should have a say on how it's run, doesn't work like that mate. The Catholic Church is a hierarchical organisation, technically you could fight your way to the top but it's unlikely, either like it or lump it tbh. Also if Catholics are unhappy at the way the Church is run, then leave the Church.

I agree with the second statement though.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Also if Catholics are unhappy at the way the Church is run, then leave the Church.

Which is exactly what us Protestants did in the 1500s and it was the best move we ever made :D
  • Options
    The PTA secretary, why?

Says it all, really.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Which is exactly what us Protestants did in the 1500s and it was the best move we ever made :D
    :lol:
    Aah... indeed.