Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wedding? Oh my, offensive!

We've all heard about these stories of things being done to try and prevent offence from being caused. Here's the latest one.

:lol: to that one.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ah i hate things like this :(

like renaming blackboard chalkboard, and banning baa baa black sheep. :<
  • Options
    Oh my god... :lol: who's to say a gay 'ceremony' wouldn't look like a wedding picture anyway? Each to their own, each to their own.
  • Options
    Another non-story from the resident Mail reader :rolleyes:
  • Options
    *burp*

Sod this, I'm off to the pub.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    *burp*

Sod this, I'm off to the pub.

Come up here and we'll go to the Big Lamp.
  • Options
    :eek2: wtf, why is everything so offensive these days??
    like kids can't sing baa baa black sheep, or say blackboard
    i remember the hoo haa about stopping them play kiss chase
    and we can't say 'brainstorm' we have to say 'mind map' because its offensive to people with mental problems.....wtf??
  • Options
    We said spider diagram anyways ;p.
  • Options
    my pet hate is using 'differently abled' instead of 'disabled'. patronising to the max.

spiderman is differently abled. desperate bloody dan is differently abled. calling people with disabilities that just implies that being disabled is something to be ashamed of, and it bugs me.
  • Options
    Am i the only one who didn't know there were 'Gay Olympics' [Not actually called that, but practically the same as apparently]? Is it just me or are there probably gay people in the normal olympics anyway?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    my pet hate is using 'differently abled' instead of 'disabled'. patronising to the max.

spiderman is differently abled. desperate bloody dan is differently abled. calling people with disabilities that just implies that being disabled is something to be ashamed of, and it bugs me.
    I'd not heard of that. You're right, that's really patronising, but maybe that's my view as someone who's never been labelled disabled.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    kaffrin wrote:

Totally agree. It annoyes me even more when instead of "people with special needs" they say "with special abilities". I mean, what the hell? Does someone who lose his legs learn to fly or something? Or is knowing how to use a wheelchair a "special ability"?

No offense to any disabled people out there, I don't want you to misunderstand me. I just want things to be called with their names. "Calling the figs figs and the tub a tub", as we say.
  • Options
    my school is right next to a school for kids and teens with quite severe mental disabilities, and we share the 6th form base with them on thursdays so we can learn to 'interact' and whatever, but i think its quite pointless because they're totally oblivious to us anyway
    however, if im being polite and on the subject i say 'special needs' when im talking about mental disabilities - probably because my brother has a mild form of autism (so mild you cant tell by looking/talking to him) so i don't see him as being 'disabled' when it's only more or less the same thing as dyslexia considering how mild it is.
  • Options
    I find someone saying special needs to be alot worse than mentally disabled, i'd hate to be labelled as special needs.
    well i refer to mild stuff like dyslexia and mild cases of autism as 'special needs', if you met my brother you wouldn't call him 'mentally disabled' because he isn't
    however i would call severe cases mentally disabled, i know i'll probably get flamed for this but after living with a brother with aspergers syndrome and standing up to him from bullies who called him thick and disabled, i'm quite defensive about it
    however i do think saying 'differently abled' is patronising
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    but thats crap.
    in law, a person is diabled if they have a long-term substantial impairment. therefore they are DISabled.
  • Options
    I find someone saying special needs to be alot worse than mentally disabled, i'd hate to be labelled as special needs.
    'Mentally disabled' and 'special needs' are two different things. I thought everybody knew that...

'Special needs' refers to the education system, people who for academic, behavioural or other health reasons need that little bit extra help in their studies. Normally this focusses on hidden disabilities and learning difficulties on the autistic spectrum.

'Mentally disabled' refers to somebody with a mental illness (it's not exactly a technical term)... Learning difficulties are NOT mental illnesses.

I'd be insulted if somebody called me 'mentally disabled' or 'disabled' because although I have what is classified as a 'hidden disability' I am in no way mentally ill.

There's nothing wrong with 'special needs', although 'learner support' is perhaps a better way of putting things. At the end of the day there are differences between people and we seem to want to avoid them, rather than celebrate them.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    standing up to him from bullies who called him thick and disabled, i'm quite defensive about it

'thick' is an insult. 'disabled' isn't.

imo the more we pussyfoot round the word, the more people feel like it's someting horrid and shameful that we can't say out loud, rather than just a way of describing something about them.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Come up here and we'll go to the Big Lamp.

Tonight I had the pleasure of Baroque in Leeds. Not bad.

Now I'm back in Bratfud for a fucking curry.
  • Options
    "special needs" for me would be the one of the worst terms to be catagorised, labelled...whatever.
    Why?

Are you actually dyslexic, dyspraxic ect?

There's nothing derogatory at all about it. It's better than being called 'remedial'.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

I hate the term too, but the rationale behind not using the word "disabled" is that the people are not the antithesis of abled simply because they are in a wheelchair. Disabled implies that they cannot do anything.

As always, the suggested alternatives are even worse, but the term itself isn't actually very nice.

As for all this "it's PC gone maaaaaaad!" bollocks, most of it isn't true anyway.
  • Options
    Would make me feel like i'm a burden, not fit do things normal people do and I wouldn't wanna be outlined as "special". "needs" is a horrible word to use as well.

But you're doing exactly what you're condemning other people for.

You're not dyslexic or dyspraxic, MoonRat is.
  • Options
    well its just funny when my brother used to get upset about how he was and bullies etc, he'd hit his head and call himself 'disabled'
    because that's what kids said to him
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I hate the term too, but the rationale behind not using the word "disabled" is that the people are not the antithesis of abled simply because they are in a wheelchair. Disabled implies that they cannot do anything.

i still think that's better. despite the literal meaning of the word, i don't think people assume that a disabled person is totally incapable. i know i don't. it just makes me think that they have a specific disability. whether that's someone like my best mate who is unable to spell, or someone like me who is sometimes unable to use her hands properly, or someone like my grandad who couldn't walk or grip.

people have abilities and they have disabilities. and we shouldn't make them feel ashamed of either.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    J wrote:
    At least gay people aren't being married in the church. Having said that I hear there are paedophile priests and all sorts there? Kind of makes you wonder just what is true.
    Nine bob note. Bent as a.

There are a large number of paedo priests. I wasl istening to a report on World Service about a load they found in the US, Catholic Church had taken them out of their churches, sent them to therapy and then given them a new church. 9 of em I think...

Guess what? Nearly all did it again... I mean, send your kids ot church and hte choir so they can get abused. Great idea...

Makes you wonder... Catholic Church has repeatedly done bad things, and constantly goes against the Bible. Yet no-one does anything... hell, we have a Nazi pope... The Nazi's who murdered whole congregations for being religious... what the hell is going on?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    There are a large number of paedo priests.

You really are a fool.

Nine paedophile priests is "a large number" is it? Have you any idea how many Cathiolic parishes there are in the UK, let alone in the US?

Lets put it this way: there are about 25 catholic parishes in Bradford alone. So even in Bradford alone nine priests being paedophiles isn't a "large number", and certainly not any more than in any other walk of life.

yeah, the Church has covered up systemic abuse. But that doesn't mean they were all at it.

I'm sick and tired of moronic statements like this. Sadly, I've come to expect them from you and other posters as soon as the Church is mentioned. Get your head out of your arse and start thinking about what you're saying.

I don't like the current Pope, but be fair: joining the Hitler Youth was the only way you survived in 1930s Germany.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You really are a fool.

Nine paedophile priests is "a large number" is it? Have you any idea how many Cathiolic parishes there are in the UK, let alone in the US?

Lets put it this way: there are about 25 catholic parishes in Bradford alone. So even in Bradford alone nine priests being paedophiles isn't a "large number", and certainly not any more than in any other walk of life.

yeah, the Church has covered up systemic abuse. But that doesn't mean they were all at it.

I'm sick and tired of moronic statements like this. Sadly, I've come to expect them from you and other posters as soon as the Church is mentioned. Get your head out of your arse and start thinking about what you're saying.

I don't like the current Pope, but be fair: joining the Hitler Youth was the only way you survived in 1930s Germany.

well said.

Being a Catholic myself I've recieved my fair share of abuse about the whole Catholic priest paedo thingy, it's way over-blown. We've had quite a number of priests in our parish through the times and all of them were good men.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    We've had quite a number of priests in our parish through the times and all of them were good men.

All the priests through my old parish were good men who'd do anything for anyone. Except the last one, who has good intentions, but was put in by the cunt that is the Bishop of Leeds simply to close the parish down.

the Irish manYoo fan who always kept a well-stocked bar in the church hall was my fave. Especially as he did 25-minute mass on matchdays :thumb:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:
    You really are a fool.

I really find it shocking though. Add this to the number of other people within religious organisations that have been discovered... should there not be more checks to find out this first, like in alot of other jobs? We don't want an Ian Huntley situation on our hands here.

I feel the higher up guys don't know, and aren't really involved. But they could do something to prevent it happening, at least.

Yeah, but the kind of things he has probably done and his stance on many things makes me beleive alot probably never left him. There were far better choices, if Catholicism wants to progress as a more acceptable religion, instead of holding back. It then wonders why it has less followers these days... I wonder if they will ever give the vote to the actuall Church-goers?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    :eek2: wtf, why is everything so offensive these days??
    like kids can't sing baa baa black sheep, or say blackboard
    i remember the hoo haa about stopping them play kiss chase
    and we can't say 'brainstorm' we have to say 'mind map' because its offensive to people with mental problems.....wtf??

Except none of that is actually true is it?
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    If I were to end it all now, the utter non insulting over political correct crap thats being battered about recently would probably be at the top of the list

You can't do this, you can't say this, heck I'm scared to look at people just in case I'm seen to be racist or ignorant to other peoples culture

It's kinda like being at work constantly - people are seem to be allowed to be rude, swear at me, and make as many derogatory comments as they like but you can't say anything back to them because that would be unacceptable - hang on while I lie on the floor and you can wipe your feet on me while you're there

If this is doing anything its just increasing segregation between different 'types', I can't even bring myself to use the term culture anymore

How do you cope with your life? :eek:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Except none of that is actually true is it?

Some of it is?