Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tony Blair defeated in Commons for the first time over 90-day detention

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Reviewed by a High Court judge every seven days?

And people think that would make a difference? :lol:

In criminal cases, if the CPS say jump, the judges always ask "how high?" It has always been like that, and always will be.

Internment is a great recruiting tool for terrorists. They go and support the family, hang around with the family, encourage the family to hate the people who treated their own so badly. The family will want revenge, and they will be persuaded that revenge is a dish best served with 300lbs of explosives on a tube train.
  • Options
    During this whole debate the only example they could use was the 'ricin plot' as an example of where the terrorist got away with it.

Except of course they hadnt managed to make ricin, and even if they had they were going to smear it on car doors and about the place randomly, a tactic which may have made a few people vaguely ill.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4422716.stm

This is what is of greater concern - the police shouldn't be making political statements, they should be just enacting the will of Parliament - whatever it is.

The police fulfil a political role, whatever you like to think.
  • Options
    Anyone see the S*n today?

They have disgraced themselves more than usual, labelled those who voted against the bill 'traitors'.......

I haven't seen any opinion polls on this I would have assumed that it would be unpopular but they implied on Newsnight that people were generally in favour which I find hard to beleive.......
  • Options
    If only we could intern Rebekah Fucking Wade for 90 days... :mad:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If only we could intern Rebekah Fucking Wade for 90 days... :mad:
    Well it was suspected of a dangerous criminal offence too...

I'd make it 90 years. Along with its twat of a husband.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I haven't seen any opinion polls on this I would have assumed that it would be unpopular but they implied on Newsnight that people were generally in favour which I find hard to beleive.......

It depends how you ask the question, a lot of the polls were things like;

Do you want the Police to stop terrorists?

- Yes
    - No I love bombings
  • Options
    I was somewhat bemused by Tony Blair stating that MPs ought to have listened to the views/will of the general public in that the public supported his '90 day' terror bill .... yet he himself completely IGNORED the views of the public when he decided to invade Iraq! :confused: :banghead: :chin:
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It depends how you ask the question, a lot of the polls were things like;

Do you want the Police to stop terrorists?

- Yes
    - No I love bombings

who posted that yes, prime minister thing about polling?

it's true here
  • Options
    Good news, but meaningless.

The Labour backbenchers will soon lose their spines again and we'll have some other mishmash of hurriedly drafted legislation forced on us.
  • Options
    Latest...

The cheek of the man defies belief. After losing a vote yesterday, and what little authority he had left, Tony Blair, of all people, has said there was a "worrying gap between parts of Parliament and the reality of the terrorist threat and public opinion". In other words, accusing MPs of being out of touch.Well, that's what he says.

That's a bit rich coming from Blair, isn't it? When he talked about "public opinion", was he referring to the public at large or just the rubbish that The Scum newspaper published this morning? I detect the hand of Rupert Murdoch here. :(
  • Options
    and just to clarify if it was a lack of authority it would mean the same mps would vote for someone with more authority or the power to execute them..... this isn't the case, this is the opposition and disgruntled government mps amending whilst keeping the government bill which is the whole point of parliament i believe i.e. to scrutinise government bills and clean them up
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Some people are suggesting that the 90 day demand was simply a trick to raise the number of days someone could get detained. At the end of the day the limit has been raised to 28 days, which is still rather unpleasant.

That's kinda what I was thinking - it's like selling you car.

you want £1,000 for it - so ask the buyer for £1,200 and they make a counter offer which is lower.

I think the real question show have been, are our British Intelligence and Police so bad at their jobs that they actually need 90 days to sort themselves out - imagine if someone got detained for 3 months and really was a terrorist - the people he has to work with would have a good 3 months to plan some new kind of attack ..

Instead of asking for more time the government should be investing in resources to help the police do their job better and faster. Espacially to help avoid killing more innocent people like they did with that guy on the underground
  • Options
    if they want new legislation, put in legislation to improve their 'operational effiency' ie getting better intelligence and using it better - the government seems to have forgotten MI5s and MI6s major cock ups
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    I was somewhat bemused by Tony Blair stating that MPs ought to have listened to the views/will of the general public in that the public supported his '90 day' terror bill .... yet he himself completely IGNORED the views of the public when he decided to invade Iraq! :confused: :banghead: :chin:

Teaghan, that is a jolly good point ... !
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Teaghan, that is a jolly good point ... !
    If you're going to be self-indulgent enough to quote yourself, you might at least spell your own name correctly. ;)

It is a jolly good point btw
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    If you're going to be self-indulgent enough to quote yourself, you might at least spell your own name correctly. ;)

It is a jolly good point btw

Doh!!!!!

Hehehehe ... that's cos my e-mail is spelt 'teaghan' cos 'teagan' was unavailable ... and I got confused ... :blush:

Anyway, I'm really chuffed that you bothered reading my post to even notice the mistake!!!! YAY! :heart:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The cheek of the man defies belief. After losing a vote yesterday, and what little authority he had left, Tony Blair, of all people, has said there was a "worrying gap between parts of Parliament and the reality of the terrorist threat and public opinion". In other words, accusing MPs of being out of touch.Well, that's what he says.

He didn't care much for public opinion back in 2003 when he illegally bombed Iraq against the wishes of just about everyone did he? :mad:
  • Options
    Thank god that was voted down. The only people who want this law passed are those that read the Sun and the mail.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    The police fulfil a political role, whatever you like to think.

Did I say they didn't? However, there political role is at a higher level than acting as cheerleaders for the Labour Party.
  • Options
    True.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    He didn't care much for public opinion back in 2003 when he illegally bombed Iraq against the wishes of just about everyone did he? :mad:

Oh no,that really was in our interest. I mean, think if Saddam has used his WMD's on the UK! If he launched them at us!

Oh wait. Even if he didn't destory them, an al-Husayn missile cannot reach the UK.

Let's face it - Labour cares little about the public. Tony didn't lose much, although the lack of support should be a message too him - its now 28 days, that is still a minor victory, and a definatle loss on our part.