Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tony Blair defeated in Commons for the first time over 90-day detention

Yes!!!

Congratulations to all MPs concerned, especially those who defied their whips.

Could this be the beginning of the end for Blair? (yes please yes please!)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Amazing news, and it wasnt even close.
  • Options
    Poor Gordon... ordered to get back in the plane even as he got off it in Israel, for this... :lol:
  • Options
    I would feel more inclined to celebrate had the majority been larger. Nearly half of the fools who govern us voted for the new bill (most of those votes came from the Labour Party). They will treat this as a minor setback and copy the strategy the EU used with the constitution: ignore any defeat and proceed as intended.
  • Options
    The House of Commons voted by 322 to 291 against the proposal as about 40 Labour MPs refused to support him, raising new questions about his authority.
    Financial markets reacted swiftly, the pound dropping a 1/4 cent against the dollar straight after the vote.
    can someone please explain to me how this works??
    why would the pound drop agains the dollar because of this?
  • Options
    I'd imagine is because this is a serious blow for Blair, whose leadership is already being questioned, and could lead into the PM resigning. Which could translate as uncertainty in the markets, the FTSE dropping, and the Pound being worth less as a result.

So investors are already deserting ship like rats.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hahahaaa.... You lose Blair. You lose.

Well, thank god for that. Although perhaps now he will make some Emergency. And then give himself powers for such terrible emergencies?

I wouldn't put it past him, im sure he can secretley arange a terrorist attack.
  • Options
    Great news

Brown should not have come out in support of Blair, he must realise the end is nigh and associating himself with Blairs shit won't do him any good..........
  • Options
    Fantastic news. Stick it to the man.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Great news

Brown should not have come out in support of Blair, he must realise the end is nigh and associating himself with Blairs shit won't do him any good..........

Never harmed anyone else. Even the worst Labour guys are doing well, despite the scandals...

Brown will, I hope, get hte leadership... it'll be interesting to see what he does.
    Although Prescott would be cooler.
  • Options
    *is dancing a little jig*
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Poor Gordon... ordered to get back in the plane even as he got off it in Israel, for this... :lol:
    Hilarious indeed. :D

*two fingers for Tony*
  • Options
    A mistake. Like Blair has said I hope MPs don’t later regret it. As Labour MP Shahid Malik said "It's not the government who has lost; it's the British people."

The Tories have been quite disgraceful, most of their MPs who voted against this did not do so because they disagreed with it but simply to try and score political points against Blair and the government. Obviously, that’s what politics is all about but I’d hope on an issue of national security the Tories would have enough integrity not to attempt to capitalise politically at the expense of the country’s safety. Of course Labour would act no differently if in Opposition…and politicians wonder why they’re unpopular.
  • Options
    A mistake. Like Blair has said I hope MPs don’t later regret it. As Labour MP Shahid Malik said "It's not the government who has lost; it's the British people."
    How would you feel to be locked up without charge or trial for 90 days, under suspicion of terrorist offences?
  • Options

We lost by beig free from (worse) imprisonment without reason for three months?

I doubt it.
  • Options
    Locking innocent people up for 3 months would be a good way to make people embittered, angry, resentful and open to ideas of terrorism I'd have thought.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    How would you feel to be locked up without charge or trial for 90 days, under suspicion of terrorist offences?

People would not be randomly imprisoned without trial or charge for as long as 90 days. This would have been used in rare, extreme cases where somebody is a real danger. I felt there were sufficient safeguards one being:
    Mr Clarke stressed that anyone detained beyond the current 14 day maximum would have their case reviewed by a High Court judge every seven days.

It makes me uncomfortable, I don’t like the idea but I think we need to take further measures to protect ourselves from terrorism. The police and security services believed there was genuine justification for it. Some people have still not yet realised that we are faced with something quite different to the IRA.

I don’t want to live like the Israelis where because of the terrorist threat armed guards, x-ray/baggage checkers/etc are routine going to a shopping mall, a club, buses, trains etc. But if we don’t beat terrorist networks now it wouldn’t surprise me if gradually we start living like that over here. A small sacrifice of civil liberties now with this defeated measure could prevent having to make bigger sacrifices in how we all live our daily lives in the future. And that’s ignoring the simple fact of the govt’s measure and the need to prevent another terrorist attack.
  • Options
    If someone was in real danger, there would surely be enough evidence to charge them with a criminal offence?

Funny you should mention the IRA, internment was a great recruiting tool for them.
  • Options
    Any serious loss of our civil liberty makes a mockery of the entire "war on terror". What would be left to fight for?
  • Options
    Any serious loss of our civil liberty makes a mockery of the entire "war on terror". What would be left to fight for?

:yes:
  • Options
    One bit that confused me in the Blair interview was when he said that the 90 days was already a compromise - anyone know what the original measures were that this was a compromise of? No juducial review? Internment?
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4422716.stm

This is what is of greater concern - the police shouldn't be making political statements, they should be just enacting the will of Parliament - whatever it is.
  • Options
    Good.

I'm still of the opinion that terrorism is not particularly a huge threat.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    One bit that confused me in the Blair interview was when he said that the 90 days was already a compromise - anyone know what the original measures were that this was a compromise of? No juducial review? Internment?
    I think the sunset clause was part of it. As was the weekly High Court judgement.
  • Options
    middle_finger.jpg

'nuff said

-goes off to open a bottle of champagne.-
  • Options
    great news, good to see some people still believe in innocent til proven guilty.......charge them or let them go, i still say 28 days is taking the piss.
  • Options
    Mr Clarke stressed that anyone detained beyond the current 14 day maximum would have their case reviewed by a High Court judge every seven days.

Interesting really considering that the police have not yet needed more that these 14 days. The only people who have been detained under that rule have all been charged at the end of this period.

Also interesting was Blair's attempt to justiofy his position during PMQ. He was using the London attacks - ignoring the fact that none of those responsible would have been detained under this legislation - and said that during the follow up ionvestigation the Leeds "bomb making" house took two weeks to make safe.

Now, if that house was so dangerous, contained so many explosives, wouldn't that actually be enough to generate a charge?
    I don’t like the idea but I think we need to take further measures to protect ourselves from terrorism.

I'm please that, for once, the Commons has seen fit to protect us all from our security services.

The war on terrorism is supposed to be a fight to retain our freedoms. It's isn't the terrorists who are trying to restrict them, it's our own services.
    The police and security services believed there was genuine justification for it.

Interesting I have yet to see any justification for the 90 days figure. It seems as aritary as the 28 days which the Tories wanted...
    But if we don’t beat terrorist networks now it wouldn’t surprise me if gradually we start living like that over here.

Intelligence will beat terrorism, not the removal of our rights and freedoms.
    A small sacrifice of civil liberties

A small sacrifice here and a small one there and soon you won't have any left to worry about.

ID Cards, CCTV, Trial without jury, detention without trial, no right to protest... how many more are left?
  • Options
    Some people are suggesting that the 90 day demand was simply a trick to raise the number of days someone could get detained. At the end of the day the limit has been raised to 28 days, which is still rather unpleasant.

Still, nice to see Tony being defeated (despite his intense lobbying and dramatic intervention in the Commons) as well as the odious S*n, who's been blackmailiing everyone against the proposal.

So, for once, and even though they probably did it only for political gain, hooray for the two Davids, and everyone else concerned from all parties who voted it down!
  • Options
    was watching thise on tv actually - im glad they lost the vote, hearing what the MP were coming out with were shocking

the back bench tories were bloody good imo though - i actually rate them, one was an ex serving army soldier in NI and basically spouted loads of reasons why when they had interment in NI, the investigations stopped and they turned heavy handed because they could - which he found attrocious

the "processing evidence" reason was absolute bollocks because thats what investigating before you arrest is supposed to do, and theres computer encryption that would take 2years of brute of force to hack so thats a pointless reason also
  • Options
    Excellent news. 90 days is a disgrace. They say it's to make 100% sure the detainee is either guilty or innocent. 90 days to prove that, ridiculous.

Disillusioned, we'll never be like Israel, Israel have a specific "enemy" and an enemy that lives next door to it to. Any future attack here would be a random attack on the west or whatever...not a constant barrage of suicide bombers.

And Blagstas right, look what Internment did for us.
  • Options
    best way of extending internment period = propose a stupid limit, and claim youll compromise on 28 days

oh wait i suggested that last week