Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

god

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im happyto admit wedont know it all, however, i strive to find out more and learn
    me too.
  • Options
    im happyto admit wedont know it all, however, i strive to find out more and learn
    me too.

Science does establish replicable and confirmative solution on a regular basis. However, I would never trust a scientist who claims to ‘know it all’

The meaning of life is what life means!

:naughty: :chin: :D
  • Options
    It is essentially impossible to know it all. You can only know everything through rationalist proof - totally unquestionnable. Eventually you can only believe something's the way it is through empirical testing, as it can't be proved rationally (i.e. God), which is not firm proof at all. (Descartes)
  • Options
    It is essentially impossible to know it all. You can only know everything through rationalist proof - totally unquestionnable. Eventually you can only believe something's the way it is through empirical testing, as it can't be proved rationally (i.e. God), which is not firm proof at all. (Descartes)
    :chin:

yeah right.
  • Options
    :chin:

yeah right.

Trust me, I'm a French student. Discours de la Methode.
  • Options
    Trust me, I'm a French student. Discours de la Methode.

Ah that's the one where he says light can be infintely split. It can't. What else did he get wrong i wonder?

Also the think therefore I am is missing a modal operator - namely HOW he is thinking.

Descartes sucked donkey balls.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    Descartes sucked donkey balls.

Fuckin' STRAIGHT!

He started off well, then went to tits soon after.

He was kindof pointless all togther.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    He was kindof pointless all togther.
    bit like me and you then?
  • Options
    bit like me and you then?

Yes, but more well-known.

And a bit more with the circular arguments.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yes, but more well-known.

theres no lasting point to beckham either ,,,evryone gets replaced ....updated/

known or unkown waste of time as history unfolds?
  • Options
    good thing i studied philosphy to answer this one! its the cosmological argument!!

To create the universe god sat there in nothingness and produced it because of the laws of cause and efgfect so that universe could not make itself. So god built the universe from the big bang . However he is now outside everything that has ever been created including time. For god no time is passing and therefore he can see everything happening in the universe at once including its ultimate end. He cannot interract with this universe because of the laws of time he has built which of course he must be inside of to influence. Like the rock that he could not life god can create anything and built a world that has free will but at the cost of his own intervention into it. He cannot interract with us on this plane of existance which means he cannot stop evil and suffering or change the course of the future or the past.
  • Options
    So the personal god of Christianity is a crock then?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So the personal god of Christianity is a crock then?
    Jesus was some guy wondering around being nice to people and he ends up crucified, what does that tell you?
  • Options
    For all your wank about rhetoric in the BBC thread, you don't seem to recognise a rhetorical question when you see one.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    For all your wank about rhetoric in the BBC thread, you don't seem to recognise a rhetorical question when you see one.
    You have lost the fucking plot haven’t you; you have the attitude of an ignorant little boy. Does mummy still wipe the snot from your face?

If you read the text I have made a comment that includes a question to further discuss the issue. If you really need to insult you may need to get some counselling.
  • Options
    Anyone spot the hypocrisy? :D
  • Options
    J wrote:
    1) Where's hell...

About Iraq area right now. Why?
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Hell is everywhere and anywhere and not knowing the truth about Iraq more likely.

Sgot me twisted anyhow.

True... how do we even know Iraq is like that? We could be in Hell right now. We are told the West is the best place to be... but the Soviet people were told the USSR was best... whats the difference in the end? The USSR pretended to Democracy... whats to say we are not the same?
    "It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."

How true... God may deceive us... and so do the demi-gods down here.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    About Iraq area right now. Why?

No it's not...not trying to be a guru or nothing gerbil as i'm only 18 myself but as you mature a bit more you'll realise Iraq is nothing compared to some of the shit going on these days...first piece of advice...ditch the communist idealogoy shite...only holding you back mate!
  • Options
    The west is the best place to be.

We live better than any other humans have in the history of the world thanks to modern industrial capitalism.

And thats a fact.
  • Options
    It wouldn't be like that without a bigger sense of social freedom and justice.

Free capitalism without social welfare and freedom is one of the ugliest propositions there can be.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    No it's not...not trying to be a guru or nothing gerbil as i'm only 18 myself but as you mature a bit more you'll realise Iraq is nothing compared to some of the shit going on these days...first piece of advice...ditch the communist idealogoy shite...only holding you back mate!

I dunno.. I think the worst place to be is any place like that. A war between a large organised army, and insurgents... you don't know if you'll die at any time. Constant fear of death. Lack of Jobs because half the country is blown up. LAck of running water and electricity now. Police force untrustworthy. Hospitals either blown up or have few supplies. Other services coming under attack.

What sort of a life is that? I support the troops out there, although not the initial going to war, but come on.. what sort of a mess is that now?

With Capitalism, it cannot exist on it's own as Alladin said. To keep the workers happy you need support, otherwise we'd be in Victorian England with expendable people system. So what if they die? They'll breed a few more children.

Do you know, that, under those times, children who used to fall down between the metal sides of a ship were just left in there? They found the skeletons in a wreckage... Mad.

I am not a complete communist as such. I find all ideologies flawed, in need of modification. I just find the ideas the most acceptable, I think that society should unite. We should be equal, removing jelousy and greed as much as possible from the equation would help. And I always think that world divisions should be healed... we are one world now. Ever increasingly so. Think of hte benefits if we all just got along...

Surley as well that was what Jesus preached?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I am not a complete communist as such. I find all ideologies flawed, in need of modification. I just find the ideas the most acceptable, I think that society should unite.

We should be equal, removing jelousy and greed as much as possible from the equation would help. And I always think that world divisions Could be healed... we are one world now. Ever increasingly so. Think of hte benefits if we all just got along...

Fuckin Eh Bro! :thumb:
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I dunno.. I think the worst place to be is any place like that. A war between a large organised army, and insurgents... you don't know if you'll die at any time. Constant fear of death. Lack of Jobs because half the country is blown up. LAck of running water and electricity now. Police force untrustworthy. Hospitals either blown up or have few supplies. Other services coming under attack.

What sort of a life is that? I support the troops out there, although not the initial going to war, but come on.. what sort of a mess is that now?

Yes but there are worse places with worse things going on...Congo being one, 3 million dead in it's civil war alone.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yes but there are worse places with worse things going on...Congo being one, 3 million dead in it's civil war alone.

How is Somalia doing these days? It's pretty much a hell-hole... why did we start a war in Iraq when we could have tried to stop some out there? I don't know... logic doesn't come into leadership these days.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    How is Somalia doing these days? It's pretty much a hell-hole... why did we start a war in Iraq when we could have tried to stop some out there? I don't know... logic doesn't come into leadership these days.

Well if you still believe the war in Iraq was some noble crusade for the benefit of mankind then you need a wake up...most of Africa is a mess, but is there any real benefit for helping out there, and I'm not just talking about oil, other things too, nope...Africa will never get the help it needs...ever.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Well if you still believe the war in Iraq was some noble crusade for the benefit of mankind then you need a wake up...most of Africa is a mess, but is there any real benefit for helping out there, and I'm not just talking about oil, other things too, nope...Africa will never get the help it needs...ever.

Saw in a film once - "No-one cares about Africa" very true. Iraq proved to me the us cared about none of these things:
    1) WMD's - North Korea would have been done in then.
    2) Liberation - Far worse places to live than Iraq under Saddam. At least they had running water and electricity.
    3) Oil, even. Africa has more Oil. And now China is looking to use Africa's Oil.

There IS benefit in Helping Africa, unless you happen to be a large company exploiting cheap labour. I mean, it would benefit us to help out there. If we can bring other nations up to a better standard of living, we will improve the world as a whole. The most backward nations pollute the most - Industry in Africa is terrible and contributes a large part of Global Warming. If we ACTUALLY DID set up a decent system of Government after our invasions (Unlike the Iraq Fiasco) they people WOULD thank us.
  • Options
    Much of the rationale for the Anglo American invasion in the Middle East has to do with the strategically advantageous locations for fulltime military complex’s.

This helps secure the transport of oil deposits from this part of the world and also implants a huge military contingent ready to ‘tackle’ Iran. If successful, there is then a controlling military influence pawing at China and the Russian Federation.
  • Options
    If successful, there is then a controlling military influence pawing at China and the Russian Federation.

More to the point, Ukraine joining NATO is a way to attempt to get at Russia...

I am betting Russia is pissed off at this. I would be, it'd be like Canada joining the Warsaw Pact back in the day. :lol:
  • Options
    I never realised that Ukraine was invited into NATO, however I don’t dispute this as American interests apparently funded the ‘orange revolution’, and I think Yuschenko is married to an American.

I think most people are aware that the only reason the NATO agreement is still around is because of the part it plays as the American policeman in the eastern hemisphere. It was originally a means to countenance the Warsaw pact, but this died with the USSR in the early nineties.