Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

dutch thinking of banning the burka

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Zalbor wrote:
    You're right, now that I think about it I've only heard about the hair. But it's the same principle, isn't it?

Not really. Its more a case of "when in Rome"
  • Options
    What I'd like to know is not whether it's right, but what practical reason there could be to banning it. Terrorists could hide behind burkas?? That's utter shite. Normally you don't know who the terrorist is before they attack, or if you do they get picked up from their house. And anyway, if I was a terrorist from a muslim background in a country fearing attacks rom fundeamentalist muslims, I'm hardly going to dress up like a stereotypical muslim on my way to attack something. But that's not relevent anyway.

I think, if there are practical reasons, it's not the end of the world to stop them wearing it. BUT there are no real reasons for banning it, except for politics and such. Like has already been noted, this will effect the minority of muslim women - there will be no real impact either way.
  • Options
    The motivation is not practical

It is an effort by the govt to have some control over cultural factors........
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    Not really. Its more a case of "when in Rome"
    So it's not because they think women's hair can be scandalous?
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    So it's not because they think women's hair can be scandalous?

Where on Earth did you hear that?!

The burka is supposed to be for only when you go out of your village, it is to protect you from unwanted male attention when you are away from the men you know. Unfortunately it has become the norm to wear all the time you are out of the house in some parts of the world.
  • Options
    I was talking about the hair. If that's not the reason, then why do they cover it?
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    I was talking about the hair. If that's not the reason, then why do they cover it?

Did you read bongbuddha's post?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You could say that. If you were an idiot. I don't know anyone insulted by it.

Bit harsh innit? I should imagine there are plenty of arch-feminists about who are insulted by the idea that a woman should need to hide her face under the tenets of yet another patriarchal religious/cultural dogma.
  • Options
    Bit harsh innit? I should imagine there are plenty of arch-feminists about who are insulted by the idea that a woman should need to hide her face under the tenets of yet another patriarchal religious/cultural dogma.

There may well be, but that's a very different claim from "You could say that the sight of a woman with a burqa is as insulting to a person of our culture as the woman's face is to muslims."
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Did you read bongbuddha's post?
    Yes, I did. For one it was talking about the burqa, not the hair thing, and for another "unwanted male attention" is still something that has to do with religious background/present.
  • Options
    You've lost me.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Yes, I did. For one it was talking about the burqa, not the hair thing, and for another "unwanted male attention" is still something that has to do with religious background/present.

By the 'hair thing' do you mean the head scarf? It is the same principle, it has to do with modesty, except now it has been made into a political statement a lot of the time which is twisting its original meaning.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You've lost me.
    I said they make women who go there wear a head scarf because they'd consider their hair scandalous. Someone said that this isn't the reason, I asked "What is it then?" and then Bongbuddah (no offense, I'm just saying what happened) replied with some stuff about the burqa that actually agreed with what I'd said at the beginning.
  • Options
    Who are "they"?
  • Options
    "The evil muslim terrorists who live in their countries far in the east and plan our downfall."

Is that what you expected me to say? Sorry to disappoint you.
    Read back on the thread, it's only 2 pages back at the most.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    "The evil muslim terrorists who live in their countries far in the east and plan our downfall."

Is that what you expected me to say? Sorry to disappoint you.

Are you feeling OK?
    Zalbor wrote:
    Read back on the thread, it's only 2 pages back at the most.

I am trying to get you to be clear about what you mean. Which Muslim countries are you talking about? Who or what "make women who go there wear a head scarf because they'd consider their hair scandalous."? The police? Social pressure? What? Why don't women generally go topless on British beaches but do on the continent?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I am trying to get you to be clear about what you mean. Which Muslim countries are you talking about? Who or what "make women who go there wear a head scarf because they'd consider their hair scandalous."? The police? Social pressure? What?
    I can't tell you names, but I know many do.
    Why don't women generally go topless on British beaches but do on the continent?
    That's a very interesting question, it makes no sense to me either. Why don't you ask them?
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    I can't tell you names, but I know many do.

Sorry, you've lost me again. Many who do what?
    Zalbor wrote:
    That's a very interesting question, it makes no sense to me either. Why don't you ask them?

Forget it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Sorry, you've lost me again. Many who do what?
    The blanks can be filled with "islamic countries" and "ask all women, even foreign ones, to cover their hair while there."
    You know, that trick is pretty clever. You ask many questions you know (or can easily figure) the answer to, one after the other to lure the discussion away from where it was.
  • Options
    Christ, this is like a discussion with a 5 year old. Which Islamic countries and how do they enforce it? Vague generalisations aren't very helpful.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Christ, this is like a discussion with a 5 year old. Which Islamic countries and how do they enforce it? Vague generalisations aren't very helpful.
    Didn't I already say I don't know which? I'm terrible in geography, and anything that has to do with it. All I know is that I've heard it happen. If that's not enough for you then stop asking the same things.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Didn't I already say I don't know which? I'm terrible in geography, and anything that has to do with it. All I know is that I've heard it happen. If that's not enough for you then stop asking the same things.

You've "heard it happen". Well that's decided it eh?
  • Options
    Have you heard of people who sky-dive naked? Do you know any of their names?
  • Options
    You've lost me again.
  • Options
    That's because you can't compare things, apparently.
  • Options
    Eh? Here's a comparison for you - what you just tried to do is like comparing apples and aardvarks, i.e. not comparable.
  • Options
    For fear of revolt...we'll all be wearing leaves for our privates...I always knew the evangelists would get their way ;)