Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

dutch thinking of banning the burka

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
whats happening there :S

Comments

• Options
    Link?
  • Options
    proper link ;)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1823334,00.html

only a small % of muslims in holland wear burkas thus making it a token measure also
  • Options
    Wonderful, the Dutch have decided that they can tell people what they can and can't wear. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Wonderful, the Dutch have decided that they can tell people what they can and can't wear. :rolleyes:

Taking a leaf out of the French manual on how to appease large minority groups.
  • Options
    Woman can where the wretched burka if they want. I have no problem with that. However, the idea of a government appeasing a majority for once sounds positively delightful.
  • Options
    The dutch are concerned that their traditional liberal ideals and ways of doing things are being irroded by immigration. Because of this you are seeing traditionally open door policies being changed and I presume this is another strand of that.

They are being hard to make sure they can keep on being liberal, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    Woman can where the wretched burka if they want. I have no problem with that. However, the idea of a government appeasing a majority for once sounds positively delightful.
    That the majority of women choose not to wear a burqa does not mean they are against other women wearing it and support a ban on wearing it does it?
  • Options
    I read this story with some interest. It's amusing, to say the least, to see that the Dutch are considering doing this. I wonder if British politicians and our right-on, politically correct establishment, would ever do this. Not in a million years, I would suspect.
  • Options
    If they do do it, its a wrong move IMO.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I read this story with some interest. It's amusing, to say the least, to see that the Dutch are considering doing this. I wonder if British politicians and our right-on, politically correct establishment, would ever do this. Not in a million years, I would suspect.
    hoodies?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    If they do do it, its a wrong move IMO.
    Not too sure... I mean, if a woman travelled to a muslim-based country she'd be forced to wear one. Why shouldn't the opposite happen?
    You could say that the sight of a woman with a burqa is as insulting to a person of our culture as the woman's face is to muslims.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Not too sure... I mean, if a woman travelled to a muslim-based country she'd be forced to wear one.

Well this isn't strictly true is it?
    Zalbor wrote:
    Why shouldn't the opposite happen?

If your friend jumped off a cliff, would you do the same?
    Zalbor wrote:
    You could say that the sight of a woman with a burqa is as insulting to a person of our culture as the woman's face is to muslims.

You could say that. If you were an idiot. I don't know anyone insulted by it.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Well this isn't strictly true is it?

If your friend jumped off a cliff, would you do the same?

You could say that. If you were an idiot. I don't know anyone insulted by it.
    Boy, someone has to teach you the difference between considering/testing an opinion and having made up your mind about it.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Boy, someone has to teach you the difference between considering/testing an opinion and having made up your mind about it.

Sorry, what? You stated a load of stuff as fact that wasn't. So maybe you need to learn "the difference between considering/testing an opinion and having made up your mind about it."?
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Not too sure [...] Why shouldn't the opposite happen?
    Nothing stated as fact here.
    Zalbor wrote:
    I mean, if a woman travelled to a muslim-based country she'd be forced to wear one.
    This is the only part I stated as fact and that was because as far as I know that's what happens. I'm talking about deeply muslim countries of course.

It's not "a load of stuff" is it?
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Nothing stated as fact here.

OK, i missed the "not too sure" bit. However, doing something repressive just because another country does is a bit...well...childish don't you think?

But this "You could say that the sight of a woman with a burqa is as insulting to a person of our culture as the woman's face is to muslims.", is stated as fact - a way of seeing the world. I agreed that actually you could see it like that. If you were an idiot.

Zalbor wrote:
    This is the only part I stated as fact and that was because as far as I know that's what happens. I'm talking about deeply muslim countries of course.

What is a "deeply Muslim country"?
    Zalbor wrote:
    It's not "a load of stuff" is it?

OK. Its a bit of stuff. Better?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    OK, i missed the "not too sure" bit. However, doing something repressive just because another country does is a bit...well...childish don't you think?
    Yup.
    But this "You could say that the sight of a woman with a burqa is as insulting to a person of our culture as the woman's face is to muslims.", is stated as fact - a way of seeing the world.
    I guess I used a wrong phrase. Would it have been better with "Someone could say"?
    What is a "deeply Muslim country"?
    Turkey isn't, I think most of them take Islam only a little more seriously than the average person who calls him/herself a Christian takes Christianity. But other countries (can't think of one specifically) are as I described.
    OK. Its a bit of stuff. Better?
    Yup. You didn't need to quote this too by the way, you addressed that point above when you said you missed the "not too sure" part.
  • Options
    Taking a leaf out of the French manual on how to appease large minority groups.
    gah the french, I am so sick of that country.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Not too sure... I mean, if a woman travelled to a muslim-based country she'd be forced to wear one. Why shouldn't the opposite happen?

because that is lowering ourselves to the level of the oppressers.
  • Options
    gah the french, I am so sick of that country.
    that country which played such a pivotal role in your freedom?
  • Options
    As far as I know, from the women I've met you have travelled in Islamic countries, in cetain religious areas they are required to cover their hair - but certainly never forced to wear a burqa which is a sign of religion more than standard garb for any woman regardless of faith.
  • Options
    because that is lowering ourselves to the level of the oppressers.
    Splendid reply. :)
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    As far as I know, from the women I've met you have travelled in Islamic countries, in cetain religious areas they are required to cover their hair - but certainly never forced to wear a burqa which is a sign of religion more than standard garb for any woman regardless of faith.
    You're right, now that I think about it I've only heard about the hair. But it's the same principle, isn't it?
  • Options
    This isn't a reason not to hate the French (not saying that he should). By the same logic, I should hate the Germans and the Italians.
  • Options

Oh shit did I forget to say thanks :p ? Do we really have to go over that old hat again? I don't have a problem with the French because of the lead up to Iraq (I think I've made that pretty clear over the time that I have been on thesite), and I most certainly don't call French-fries "Freedom-fries". I'm tired of the the stories of racism I keep hearing coming out of that country, like that housing complex...
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Splendid reply. :)
    thanks, it's been a good day :)
  • Options
    Oh shit did I forget to say thanks :p ? Do we really have to go over that old hat again? I don't have a problem with the French because of the lead up to Iraq (I think I've made that pretty clear over the time that I have been on thesite), and I most certainly don't call French-fries "Freedom-fries". I'm tired of the the stories of racism I keep hearing coming out of that country, like that housing complex...
    personali i hate france as a place ...and the people are ...so self centred.
  • Options
    personali i hate france as a place ...and the people are ...so self centred.

Which is probably why us folks from the states don't get along so well with em. Similar charges repel after all. ;)
  • Options
    Which is probably why us folks from the states don't get along so well with em. Similar charges repel after all. ;)
    and they eat fucking slugs!
  • Options
    :lol: