Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Black History Month

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This type of behaviour by our government will only serve to racially divide our society at an unequal level wherby white people will feel excluded from their own country.
  • Options
    The term ‘Black History’ isn’t particularly helpful. African/Caribbean History Month would make more sense. ‘Black History’ month appears to be exclusively African and Caribbean History, there is ‘Black’ history that isn’t African or Caribbean – Aboriginal for example.

Traditionally some historiographer’s have disregarded or perceived as inferior history that is not European. Although I don’t think many people think that now, most History taught in schools is European or American. Although when studying the latter GCSE we looked at African-Americans and the KKK. I think there’s definitely a case though for more Asian and African history to be taught in schools but ‘Black History’ month seems one of the most ineffective ways of going about it.
  • Options
    Googler wrote:
    This type of behaviour by our government will only serve to racially divide our society at an unequal level wherby white people will feel excluded from their own country.

How so?
  • Options
    Googler wrote:

The country doesn't also belong to non-whites?
  • Options
    J wrote:
    It's coloured people in a predominantly white country "showing off" :p
    It's just a minority showing what the greats of thier family have done. It's the family name.
    I hate all this education for political correctness when all you need is love - something that comes naturaly to naturaly raised people.

So I assume your textbooks, television specials, and all other portrayals of the country's history is just inundated with the contributions of people of color to the point that white people are nearly invisible.

What show offs. :rolleyes:

Instead of thinking about black history as a part of "their" history, it needs to occur to everyone that "their" history is a part of yours, albiet an often forgotten one.

The more I hear given as reasons why highlighting the contributions of minorities is supposedly negative, the more clearly I see that perhaps it's needed.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    "In an ideal world, .

Cos it aint an ideal world
  • Options
    J wrote:
    It's coloured people in a predominantly white country "showing off" :p
    It's just a minority showing what the greats of thier family have done. It's the family name.
    I hate all this education for political correctness when all you need is love - something that comes naturaly to naturaly raised people.

What on earth are you on about?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Can someone explain to me the following.

Why is this not racist?

What is 'black'?

Damn negros with their "rights"!!!!!! :lol:
  • Options
    hello monocrat you sad sack
  • Options
    Mono-who?!
  • Options
    Didn't take him long to come back.
  • Options
    Back? Nah.

These blacks should stay in Africa, instead of proclaiming about "history". Whites and orientals have contributed more to human existence than any black civilisation!
  • Options
    piss off monocrat
  • Options
    Negroes are the worst of the human races!!! I won't cease until ALL HUMANITY recognises it! :yippe: :yes:
  • Options
    don't you have anything better to do than get banned from bulletin boards?
  • Options
    Course I do. I also get kicks from pissing people off.
  • Options
    you must be one lonely & sad individual
  • Options
    ledzipp wrote:
    Negroes are the worst of the human races!!! I won't cease until ALL HUMANITY recognises it! :yippe: :yes:
    Why do you keep on posting on message boards?

Why do you have a woman's name as your Email address by the way? Have you crept on the PC whilst Mummy is in the kitchen and logged in to her Email account?

Yah whatever...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    don't you have anything better to do than get banned from bulletin boards?
    Don't you have something better to do than talk to him/her? The only reason (s)he keeps coming back is because people give him/her attention.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Don't you have something better to do than talk to him/her? The only reason (s)he keeps coming back is because people give him/her attention.

Well why not ignore my post then?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Well why not ignore my post then?

That would make no difference whatsoever.
  • Options
    As would ignoring him
  • Options
    Well at least we'll be able to see if NTL take their anti-racism policy seriously
  • Options
    Good on you for reporting him Jim but given the 'service' NTL usually provides I wouldn't expect much to happen...