Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Black History Month

Can someone explain to me the following.

Why is this not racist?

What is 'black'?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd imagine people of Afro-Caribbean origin.

I see what you mean though. I think it all boils down to minorities celebrating their heritage and culture. It wouldn't make much sense to celebrate a 'Black History Month' in Africa, just as it wouldn't make sense to mark a 'White History Month' here.
  • Options
    "8) Why do black people need a history month?
    In an ideal world, we wouldn't need the month, as education establishments will fully recognise and appreciate our contribution to History. It is important as well to have the political will in the first place which was around during its inception.

We need a history month, as our opportunity to share with the world at large our incredible contribution to this planet. We need a history month so that we all can be proud of our creativity, respect our intellectual prowess and celebrate our culture whether it be, in the way we walk, shoulders back, head up high, or whether we are purchasing books, pamphlets and magazines from our community. "

Says thier website, but surely they can be proud of their creativity all of the year?

It is the clear seperation of people by colour which I hate about this.
  • Options
    It's for everyone to learn more about different black History i imagine!

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1583038,00.html
  • Options
    or is it to go into thier history to point out, how, back then they weren't accepted? perhaps not but why else would they do that

eh?! :crazyeyes :confused:
  • Options
    Uhm....

Really don't know what to say on this one, apart from the fact that I don't see the point in distinguishing between people based on their skin colour.

But then the affluent west was built on the backs of slaves.
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. Its just lookign at a specific (and often ignored) part of British history. From the bits I've seen its seems to be concentrating less on slavery, but on the Black British subjects and tackling the view that Black people only arrived in the UK in the 1950s with the Windrush.

Whilst I think the website selling point is badly phrased and makes it seem like it is only for black people to take an interest, its no more only for one ethnic group than the recent spate of celebrations over Trafalgar were only for the Navy.
  • Options
    You are seperating people purely on the basis of their skin colour, this is wrong.

And, what the hell does the term 'black' actually mean?
  • Options
    I dunno, like maybe from Africa?

Then again some people from Asia are darker skinned.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    You are seperating people purely on the basis of their skin colour, this is wrong.

And, what the hell does the term 'black' actually mean?

Call it Afro-Carribean History Month if you want, feck call it Black and Minority Ethnic History month if we want it be fully inclusive.

However, the purpose of the month is not to seperate people off, but to show that 'blacks' have been part of British life for generations and many of them, such as Mary Seacombe have made a real contribution, which hasn't been recognised.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    However, the purpose of the month is not to seperate people off, but to show that 'blacks' have been part of British life for generations and many of them, such as Mary Seacombe have made a real contribution, which hasn't been recognised.

Isnt that contradictory? It isnt to seperate people....this is to show 'blacks'.

It is the 'blacks' bit I dont like. We are not different because of the colour of our skin!
  • Options
    The issue isn't with segregating people though, its with the way history has been taught in the past - the need for a black history month isn't because black people are different but because up until recently they have been treated differently and their history ignored. Its about making people equal but highlighting what's been forgotten - because to put it plainly a lot of history has been white history - it just hasn't been called that openly.
  • Options
    I understand the aim, I just think the title is wrong and reflects an us and them mentality which we should be moving away from. Positive discrimination is still discrimination.

And of course I am inclined to ask again, what does 'black' mean?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Isnt that contradictory? It isnt to seperate people....this is to show 'blacks'.

It is the 'blacks' bit I dont like. We are not different because of the colour of our skin!

We're not different in terms of being people but we do have a different heritage, a different history, a different experience. Black people (All shades of black as it were) suffer more prejudice in the West than white people - simple as. More prejudice than gay people, more prejudice than women. When a black person walks into the room the first thing I notice about them is that they are a different colour to me....anyone who says they don't is a liar, it's natural to notice difference, what is more important is how you react to that diference.

It doesn't project a them and us image - black history is markedly different to white history.
  • Options
    Well bong, equality isn't just about hegemony, it's also about recognising diversity and difference and still treating people equally.
  • Options
    There is only so much that can be taught in schools and so history tends to be a very English centric (not even British) and at the level of kings and popes. Now I've nothing against schools concentrating on that - its important for everyone to have an understanding of the UK and the top-level history.

However it does tend to mean that many bits of history are ignored and one part of that is the history of black people in Britain. As I said I don't think this leads to seperateness - any more than our recent concentration on Trafalgar seperated out the Royal Navy.
  • Options
    byny wrote:
    It doesn't project a them and us image - black history is markedly different to white history.

I'd say they are very much interlinked actually.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Well bong, equality isn't just about hegemony, it's also about recognising diversity and difference and still treating people equally.

So we should recognise people are different because of their skin colour?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

We should recognise that people have different cultures and histories, yes. Most people's experience of "black history" at school is the slave trade. Maybe there is space for pointing out other things?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'd say they are very much interlinked actually.

yeas some of it is - if you are only prepared to go back as far as slavery! Black history isn't all about slaves and tribes...there's more to it than that!

perhaps you could take part in this black history month and find out more! :)
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

no

People have a difference of skin colour, and may have a difference in culture but that difference in culture is not always to do with their skin colour.

A black woman who was born to somali refugees may have a completely different culture to a black woman born to british somalis. Their experience will contribute to their 'differnce' not their colour.

Every person id different, and it's a huge mistake to assume that someones skin colour determines their culture, experience or difference!
  • Options
    would you for example ay all white people are the same, or all white people are diffeent to all black people!?
  • Options
    byny wrote:
    Every person id different, and it's a huge mistake to assume that someones skin colour determines their culture, experience or difference!

Which is exactly why I dont like the term 'black history'.

Like I said, I see the point of the exercise, and of course minorities have had, and do have a bad time of it. But I'd much rather we were moving towards a future where colour wasnt an issue, this to me only seems to perpetuate the myth that we are different.
  • Options
    byny wrote:
    would you for example ay all white people are the same, or all white people are diffeent to all black people!?

All people are different. The terms are totally meaningless because no one shares common characteristics with anyone else purely because of their colour.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Which is exactly why I dont like the term 'black history'.

Like I said, I see the point of the exercise, and of course minorities have had, and do have a bad time of it. But I'd much rather we were moving towards a future where colour wasnt an issue, this to me only seems to perpetuate the myth that we are different.

the only time it won't be an issue is when everyone is white or everyone is black! It will always be an issue - specially if people keep objecting to a pretty standard use of the word 'black'..

What are your objections to 'womens history month' ?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Most people's experience of "black history" at school is the slave trade. Maybe there is space for pointing out other things?

Indeed there is and I would argue that the example that you gave there was as much one of "White" history as "black".

And there's the rub. There is no such thing as Black or White history, just history. It has all affected us in some way of another. To label it is to devalue it. Basically the suggestion is that Black history is not relevant to whites and that is wrong.
  • Options
    But the issue isn't about the nature of history it's about the definition of a subject - I can't see how the label devalues it in the eyes of white people, enless there is a sense that something called 'black' is automatically closed to them - which would seem to be the opposite of the idea of a black history month.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    But the issue isn't about the nature of history it's about the definition of a subject - I can't see how the label devalues it in the eyes of white people, enless there is a sense that something called 'black' is automatically closed to them - which would seem to be the opposite of the idea of a black history month.

Why does "Black History" need a month of it's own then, unless it's because "white" history is autmoatically closed to blacks.

I think what I am trying to say is that why should there be a focus on any "group" in isolation? Surely history is history and what we should be asking is why it isn't part of the mainstream education anyway. It's not like classes are referred to as "White History" is it?

Unless the suggestion is that as part of the overal education, months should be dedicated to a specific viewpoint or section of history. I would argue that this already happens...
  • Options
    As I understand it the point of Black History Month is also to move the idea that the only contribution that blacks have made is being passive contributors to the slave trade. Instead its about the more positive impact of Blacks on UK history.

Now if the only historical celebration the UK ever made was about ethnic minorities I could understand it. But it has to be seen as part of a long line of celebrations of other historical celebrations, such as Trafalgar, D-Day, Holocaust memorials etc, etc.

Personally I think anything which raises historical awareness is a good thing. and something which shows whites and blacks the positive impact blacks have made on the UK is even more to be supported.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    We should recognise that some people have been treated differently by (pre-dominantly 'white') historians because of their colour. Do you think that the people (not necessarily 'black') who are highlighting the history of black people are actually being inaccurate in their account?

And what is 'white', if it comes to that? I think a loose definition of 'black' would be anyone who would have been subject to racist legislation in America only slightly more than half a century ago. And there are those still living who remember being treated so. Slavery was only part of it.
  • Options
    I think what I am trying to say is that why should there be a focus on any "group" in isolation? Surely history is history and what we should be asking is why it isn't part of the mainstream education anyway. It's not like classes are referred to as "White History" is it?

Exactly, if this month is to make up for failings elsewhere to teach and present the impact 'blacks' have had then fix the failings dont fench off 'black' history to just one month.