Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

London put into context

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Actually, we, that is the EU and G8, controll the market, so you can. Actually.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    not sayin, just saying u cant blame us for them starving.

So you are saying they would be better off we we still ruled over Africa and exploited the continent?
  • Options
    yes, how does that quote prove otherwise in any way? and ''Jim V'' if you are saying i am beign racist, could you please ever so kindly show how i have been racist, as i do not believe for one second that i have.

I wasn't making any reference to your posts, though not quite certain why my name deserves quotation marks.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    not sayin, just saying u cant blame us for them starving.

Hmmm, now lets see your evidence for Africans starving BEFORE colonialism and neo-colonialism ....................

you erm, won't find it here

or here

or here
  • Options
    Lets all get pissed instead! :chin:
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    No i said that we should fix problems in our own country before doing so in others.

Can you explain what problems you are talking about? Exactly.
  • Options
    I don't know where you hail from, but in the surrey area, there is a slight fear of going out on most unaggressive youths who don't go out looking for a fight. And this is due to the fact that there are many people around, that do exactly that, go around, looking for someone to pick on, ''jack up'' if you will (meaning to steal from in normal English). And it really is a disturbing tiem to be a teenager in the UK. many people class this as just 'chavs' doing this, when in reality, there are plenty of normal, nice 'chavs' that don't go around starting fights with everyone they see, but the sad fact is, there are plenty more than that who do, which creates a bad stereotype towards them. Everytime a normal youth walks down the road and sees someone with an upturned baseball cap, anything made of burberry, tracksuits, bright sky blue clothing, they tend to get this slight sense of fear in the pit of their stomach, at the fear that they are about to get started on, based on what the other people are wearing. Dont you try and sugarcoat England as some kind of heaven on earth, because i assure you, it is far from it.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes it is everyone's responsibility.

WHY is it everyone`s responsibility ?

seeker
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's very easy to forget about all the millions of Africans slowly starving to death or living in abject poverty, tbh.
    They're more important than some old bloke's pension.

Objectively they are more important though.

Can someone be more important "objectively" ? (Important to whom ?)

seeker
  • Options
    Its much easier to distance oneself if it happens far far away. I feel upset when read about bad things happening in other countries, but its not as scarey for me personally as something like the London Bombings. I know its out of proportion, but its not about colour of skin, its about proximity and threat to me and my family.
  • Options
    Its much easier to distance oneself if it happens far far away. I feel upset when read about bad things happening in other countries, but its not as scarey for me personally as something like the London Bombings. I know its out of proportion, but its not about colour of skin, its about proximity and threat to me and my family.

Well, yeah. Most folks morality is based on geography etc. You behave differently in a hospital than you would in a pub for ex. The "govt" are having this knee-jerk reaction because they feel threatened and want to be safe. As usual they sell it as being in everybody elses interests rather than just their own.

As every single human is entirley self interested and bothered only about their own feelings we should always be mindful of that fact.
  • Options
    CathaEdulis: that was fascinating.

You going to give us a point too, or are you just a moron?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

honestly I've never really understood posts like this (or conversations that head this direction). We all know that there is a great deal of violence in other parts of the world, violence far greater than events in our homes countries. And in all cases, at home and abroad, the loss of life is a sad thing. And it's obvious that no one wants to belittle the death in any of the cases. So why try to compare? Is it to point out the unfair media coverage?
  • Options
    I'm not trying to compare, I'm trying to do the exact opposite.

More people will have died in one afternoon in Africa than died in the bombings. And that is every single day. And that is just as preventable as a terrorist attack.
  • Options
    but I still don't get the point. Could you explain (sorry little tired here)
  • Options
    mayor_yana wrote:
    Aha! told you, your not the only one who can play the moral high ground.

Idiot.
  • Options
    starving africans are at the bottom of my list of priorities, its hardly our fault that africa isnt doing so well, we're not waging war on them cos we know we can win, maybe we shud be pleased about the things we're not doing to them, instead of thinking of mroe and more things we could do for them.

A lot of Africa's problems are as a result of British colonialism, so it is our fault in a way.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    Those colonies wanted ther independance....There was no starvation while they wer under british rule

Oh dear :banghead:
  • Options
    I don't know where you hail from, but in the surrey area, there is a slight fear of going out on most unaggressive youths who don't go out looking for a fight. And this is due to the fact that there are many people around, that do exactly that, go around, looking for someone to pick on, ''jack up'' if you will (meaning to steal from in normal English). And it really is a disturbing tiem to be a teenager in the UK. many people class this as just 'chavs' doing this, when in reality, there are plenty of normal, nice 'chavs' that don't go around starting fights with everyone they see, but the sad fact is, there are plenty more than that who do, which creates a bad stereotype towards them. Everytime a normal youth walks down the road and sees someone with an upturned baseball cap, anything made of burberry, tracksuits, bright sky blue clothing, they tend to get this slight sense of fear in the pit of their stomach, at the fear that they are about to get started on, based on what the other people are wearing. Dont you try and sugarcoat England as some kind of heaven on earth, because i assure you, it is far from it.

I think you'll find it has ever been thus and its not a race issue. White lads do it, asian lads do it, black lads do it. It was similar when I was a teenager in the 80's, except then we called chavs "townies".
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    WHY is it everyone`s responsibility ?

seeker
    They say that somebody can fall down on the streets of London and die because everybody has the attitude that it's not their responsibility, or that somebody else will help... And then the person dies.

I don't honestly know how anybody can deny responsibility for what's going on. If you call yourself a patriot then you're a part of this, if you buy a lot of products and use certain banks you're a part of this...

We were the ones who hurt Africa in the first place... We took them as slaves and beat and tortured them, we went out and then took over their country, our pollution is making farming harder and floods that cause the spread of water born diseases, they are in dept and our big companies are forcing Africa to become dependent on them by offering loans on the condition that Africa open trade barriers.

Yes the bombing was horrible, but that's gone and is in the past, but Africa isn't. We can't bring the dead people of London back to life, but we can all stand together to make right what the bigger Western countries have done to that continent.

I cannot imagine if it were my child starving and malnurished... And being in the position where I couldn't even give her a safe drink of water.
  • Options
    They say that somebody can fall down on the streets of London and die because everybody has the attitude that it's not their responsibility, or that somebody else will help... And then the person dies.

I don't honestly know how anybody can deny responsibility for what's going on. If you call yourself a patriot then you're a part of this, if you buy a lot of products and use certain banks you're a part of this...

We were the ones who hurt Africa in the first place... We took them as slaves and beat and tortured them, we went out and then took over their country, our pollution is making farming harder and floods that cause the spread of water born diseases, they are in dept and our big companies are forcing Africa to become dependent on them by offering loans on the condition that Africa open trade barriers.

Yes the bombing was horrible, but that's gone and is in the past, but Africa isn't. We can't bring the dead people of London back to life, but we can all stand together to make right what the bigger Western countries have done to that continent.

I cannot imagine if it were my child starving and malnurished... And being in the position where I couldn't even give her a safe drink of water.

have to agree with you for once, we can do something positive and good about africa :) and we've jsut got to live on with the bombings....
  • Options
    A lot of Africa's problems are as a result of British colonialism, so it is our fault in a way

Far better off with us though.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Quite.

I'm sure the black Africans would much prefer it was the British herding them into squalid concentration camps :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:

That could sort of be argued for South Africa where the gap between rich and poor has widened and the lot of the poor has got worse since Apartide finished. But, well I dont think many South African blacks would want that back, the beatings, dissapearances etc. werent really worth it.

As for the lot of other African nations, I suggest you look at the Common Agricultural Policy and its similar law in the US and then suggest we are good for Africa.
  • Options

I get called lots of things,but "patriot" isn`t one of them.......yet.And I don`t call myself one either.I may if I knew what the hell a "patriot" was :chin:

Liability denied.I don`t know who the "we" refers to,but I swear that I`ve never done any of those things that you accused "we" of doing.

seeker
  • Options
    A lot of Africa's problems are as a result of British colonialism, so it is our fault in a way.

You can't blame me for something people did in the past in my country now can you.
  • Options
    You can't blame me for something people did in the past in my country now can you.

Did I blame you personally? No.
  • Options

Can we blame you for what the British state and British corporations are doing now?
    starving africans are at the bottom of my list of priorities, its hardly our fault that africa isnt doing so well, we're not waging war on them cos we know we can win, maybe we shud be pleased about the things we're not doing to them, instead of thinking of mroe and more things we could do for them.

Whose fault is it?

:confused:
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    I get called lots of things,but "patriot" isn`t one of them.......yet.And I don`t call myself one either.I may if I knew what the hell a "patriot" was :chin:

Liability denied.I don`t know who the "we" refers to,but I swear that I`ve never done any of those things that you accused "we" of doing.

seeker
    "We" as in our countries in the West. "We" as in the people who help to fund these companies, "We" as the consumer, as the people who vote these governments in... "We" as people who should be working to make politicians do what they're paid for, "we" as the people who can.
  • Options
    Can we blame you for what the British state and British corporations are doing now?

Can we blame you?