Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"Jackson 'could perform at Live8"

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It happened when exactly? Six years ago...

How far have we got now?

What exactly do you mean by "we"?

I don't feel any kind of link to shallow, dishonest tosspots.....
  • Options
    What exactly do you mean by "we"?

I don't feel any kind of link to shallow, dishonest tosspots.....

Which is why you will never get anywhere. Without the support of people who don't wholeheartedly agree with you, you'r whole cause is fucked.

But then, you can't be a rebel if there is nothig to rebel against, can you? I get the impression tha it's as much in your interest for the status quo to be maintained as it is the G8. When your whole raison d'etre is dissent you really fuck your own life if people start agreeing with you.

How can you be a "class warrior" if those lines become blurred of non-existent.

BTW "We" referred to us as a nation. Nice to see you are still playing the "Asshole" card.
  • Options
    Which is why you will never get anywhere. Without the support of people who don't wholeheartedly agree with you, you'r whole cause is fucked.

But then, you can't be a rebel if there is nothig to rebel against, can you? I get the impression tha it's as much in your interest for the status quo to be maintained as it is the G8. When your whole raison d'etre is dissent you really fuck your own life if people start agreeing with you.

How can you be a "class warrior" if those lines become blurred of non-existent.

BTW "We" referred to us as a nation. Nice to see you are still playing the "Asshole" card.

What a load of poppycock.

The "problem of Africa" is reduced to my "need for dissent" - Slob Welloff and Bonehead really are saving the poor

Am I a "class warrior"?

You keep telling me that Bonehead and Welloff are "opening up the debate" - and as far as I can see the debate is about GLOBAL APARTHEID, which imho goes somewhat further than just an issue of class................

Monbiot, who I have some fundamental concerns about, is spot on when it comes to the role of these two multi-millionaires in the debate on Africa's immiseration:
    I have yet to read a statement by either rock star which suggests a critique of power. They appear to believe that a consensus can be achieved between the powerful and the powerless, that they can assemble a great global chorus of rich and poor to sing from the same sheet. They do not seem to understand that, while the G8 maintains its grip on the instruments of global governance, a shared anthem of peace and love is about as meaningful as the old Coca-Cola ad.

The answer to the problem of power is to build political movements which deny the legitimacy of the powerful and seek to prise control from their hands: to do, in other words, what people are doing in Bolivia right now. But Bono and Geldof are doing the opposite: they are lending legitimacy to power. From the point of view of men like Bush and Blair, the deal is straightforward: we let these hairy people share a platform with us, we make a few cost-free gestures, and in return we receive their praise and capture their fans. The sanctity of our collaborators rubs off on us. If the trick works, the movements ranged against us will disperse, imagining that the world’s problems have been solved. We will be publicly rehabilitated, after our little adventure in Iraq and our indiscretions at Bagram and Guantanamo Bay. The countries we wish to keep exploiting will see us as their friends rather than their enemies.

Its your recurring dishonesty and nastiness that consistently affirms your asshole status for me ...........
  • Options
    Political extremists remain extremists because they sneer at the majority, when they should actually be engaging with them. Yet the extremists like to remain in a bubble, away from the compromises and deals that have to be made to actually do anything. Criticising celebrities is easy (some of it is fair) but at least present a coherent constructive agenda or you end up sounding as vacuous and vague as the people you criticise. If you want to smash capitalism, say so! But what the fuck are you gonna replace it with, communism?

If anyone thinks that a load of jugglers, anarchists, students, trustafarians and WOMBLES will do anything apart from having a laugh protesting, get real. It is another stop on their self-righteous backpacking protesting tour of the world, hopelessly alienated from reality and from anyone outside their cosy bubble. Good chance to meet up with some old faces from genoa, though. And to feel good about themselves.
  • Options
    I really don't understand all the hatred from the "class warriors" about Geldof and Bono. I really don't. At least someone is doing something, and discussions with those who DO hold the power are far more productive than smashing up McDonald's and rioting with Italian policemen.

Obviously Africa will be saved by all the anti-capitalists smashing some windows and getting tear gas fired at them.

As for Jackson, I think Jackson is more deserving of publicity than convicted drug dealers such as Johnny Vaughan, but nobody seems to notice this when they wank over that smug bastard.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Obviously Africa will be saved by all the anti-capitalists smashing some windows and getting tear gas fired at them.

Aah well, as I've never been tear gassed or broken a MaccyD window, I clearly am not a class warrior ............

Anybody who thinks Monbiot is a class warrior doesn't have a clue whats going on. And the article explains the dangers of legitimacy quite succinctly.

:eek:
  • Options
    The "problem of Africa" is reduced to my "need for dissent" - Slob Welloff and Bonehead really are saving the poor

It is? Maybe in your head.

I was referring to what I believed to be your stance on Africa. Not the actual problems.

Still when have you ever considered what was actually written when you could just make massive assumption instead - thus diverting from the actual debate.

Again, please explina how getting an issue onto the agenda of those in poweris a bad thing.

BTW The Rock stars haven't critiqued power? Guess that bubble of yours didn't include Bono's comments to the Labour conference, or Geldof's complaints after the debt's relief package announcement last week (for example)...
    Am I a "class warrior"?

It's the impression you give. Based on some of the comments you have made in the past.

I could be wrong, but then I always accept that as a possibility.
    Its your recurring dishonesty and nastiness that consistently affirms your asshole status for me ...........

Funnily enough, I take it as a compliment if you think I'm an asshole.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I think Jackson is more deserving of publicity than convicted drug dealers such as Johnny Vaughan

What do you mean by this ? :confused:
    Again, please explina how getting an issue onto the agenda of those in poweris a bad thing.

Because you take the position of subservience from the off.

seeker
  • Options

Cannot blame one for doing that which they do best, can you?