Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Jackson 'could perform at Live8"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

Hooo boy

:eek2:

Comments

• Options
    well he has lived 8 of his 9 lives, maybe this is the last throw of the Jackson dice!
  • Options
    I hope he does.
  • Options
    I hope he does.

got a ticket then?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    got a ticket then?

Nope, didn't apply.
  • Options
    Whatever else that guy did, Thriller is an awesome record.
  • Options
    I thought Jacko had lost a load of weight during the trial and could barely stand properly for long? Hardly a good state to be in for doing a gig for millions of people worldwide.
  • Options
    i hope his nose falls off.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    If he was never guilty then there's no problem is there? There's no point us becoming paranoid as to his guilt, if the authorities in the US are doing thier job as correctly then I'm sure he is innocent, although I certainly think the guy is confused.

I am over whelmed with the confidence that "Jacko" is every bit as "innocent" as OJ Simpson.

If he shows? Keep him on your island, OK?
  • Options
    i hope his nose falls off.

what you mean that flimsy piece of plastic between his eyes?
  • Options
    J wrote:
    If he was never guilty then there's no problem is there? .
    Theres a difference between not being found guilty in a court of law and not having done what you were accused of.
    There are a hell of a lot of rapists and abusers that go free every day of the week. It doesnt mean theyre innocent. It means they got away with it.
  • Options
    It means they got away with it.

:confused:

so you're saying all people accused of rape done what they're being accused of but only got away with it when found innocent... :yeees:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

so you're saying all people accused of rape done what they're being accused of but only got away with it when found innocent... :yeees:

Before she replies, can I say I don't think that's what she said at all.

The burden of proof required is sometimes too high in such cases when it becomes one person's word against another. That is how it should be of course, however it does mean that guilty people walk free.

Still, I'd rather that than innocent people convicted...
  • Options
    Before she replies, can I say I don't think that's what she said at all.

The burden of proof required is sometimes too high in such cases when it becomes one person's word against another. That is how it should be of course, however it does mean that guilty people walk free.

Still, I'd rather that than innocent people convicted...

yea i thought she said all people accused of it, sorry rainbow...
  • Options
    Theres a difference between not being found guilty in a court of law and not having done what you were accused of.
    There are a hell of a lot of rapists and abusers that go free every day of the week. It doesnt mean theyre innocent. It means they got away with it.

you cant say "he done it though" and stop him living his life though.......

ever thought some people are falsely accused too? i know lots of rape caes for example have low conviction rates, but thats due to the need for no doubt that they done it which means its hard to get a conviction combined in with the actual amount of false accusations which as far as im aware there are equally lots of

lowering the burden of evidence is not hte answer, i would not feel ocmofrtalbe that even 1 actually innocent person got locked away fro something they didnt do, and equally that the rapist is still probably at large too
  • Options
    Well, regardless of whether or not Michael Jackson sexually abused that kid, a 40something man with a prediliction for sleeping in the same bed as prepubescent boys, who has just been through a high profile drawn out court case is just going to end up being a further distraction from the issue of dire poverty in Africa ..............

But then the event is actually a reunion for has-been popstars, rather than a political statement - so it would be quite fitting really.

Africa needs Geldof like a fish needs a bicycle .........
  • Options

..and it needs people who can offer it's plight no publicity even less.
  • Options
    ..and it needs people who can offer it's plight no publicity even less.

And I'm still waiting for you to tell me what that publicity achieves.......

other than diluting the already diluted MPH campaign that is.
  • Options
    And I'm still waiting for you to tell me what that publicity achieves...

It's pisses you off, that's enough for me :p

Seriously, it makes people take notice. Sure that absolute solution will not come out of a concert, but it gets an issue onto a public agenda so that the issues which you are so concerned about can be aired.

Without something like this, the mainstream press just couldn't give it shit. It's not newsworthy.

As I have said before, this is an opportunity to be grasped, not dismissed or bad mouthed. All that does it detract from the message you really would like to see getting out.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    All it does is allow Joe Bloggs to think their getting involved and making a contribution when in reality this Live 8 business won't achieve fuck all except to feed Geldoffs over inlfated ego.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

.....................and he`s just trying to throw his arms around the world. (with thanks to Bono :D )

seeker
  • Options
    It's pisses you off, that's enough for me :p

Seriously, it makes people take notice. Sure that absolute solution will not come out of a concert, but it gets an issue onto a public agenda so that the issues which you are so concerned about can be aired.

Without something like this, the mainstream press just couldn't give it shit. It's not newsworthy.

As I have said before, this is an opportunity to be grasped, not dismissed or bad mouthed. All that does it detract from the message you really would like to see getting out.

Aah, but it absolutely does detract from the message

His message is that whitey can save Africa by doing charity to the Africans - thats why he doesn't even have an African partner after 20+ years.

His message is also that more neo-colonialism is the way to go - and that soooo clearly is bollocks.

And the majority of the punters will leave the concert and forget about Africa, because they will have no idea why Africa is so poor, and Geldof will tell them he has cracked the problem with 'his' conditional debt write-offs.
  • Options
    Again you haven't read what I have said, because you are preoccupied with complaining. Be positive.

I didn't say that he had the answers, I said that this concert gives publicity to an issue. If you want the correct message to be publicised then make it happen on the back of this concert.

Tell me, if it wasn't for this event, do you think poverty would even be in the papers?
  • Options
    neo-colonialism

can people stop using neo infront of all political things
  • Options
    can people stop using neo infront of all political things

What would you like to call it instead?
    A policy whereby a major power uses economic and political means to perpetuate or extend its influence over underdeveloped nations or areas: “Strong elements of neocolonialism persist in the economic relations of the rich and poor countries” (Scientific American).

source

• Options
    Tell me, if it wasn't for this event, do you think poverty would even be in the papers?

Yes ......... the whole point of the concert is to dilute it - but after Blair said he "can't imagine" why people were protesting against the G8 it was going to be getting coverage - about the issues - rather than bloocks about popstars and ebay.

Who missed the fucking point? It isn't positive .......
    Midge Ure, the co-organiser of Live 8, was asked if he was worried about the events being hijacked by anarchists. His response was that Live 8 was, in fact, hijacking the anarchists' event.

source
  • Options
    Good source, it contains this passage:

"While the coming together of hundreds of thousands of people for the Make Poverty History and Live 8 events certainly should be understood as a genuine expression of human solidarity, if we are serious about wanting to change the way in which the world works it is essential that we do not make poverty of history in attempting to do so.

In other words, we need to ask ourselves: who have, historically, been the agents of change? And, importantly, who has the ability to change the way in which the world works today? The answer, of course, is not Bob and Bono. But neither is it Blair and Brown. It's ordinary, everyday people. It's us. It's you.

Those who have the power to not only make poverty history but to make history itself are the same as they always have been: ordinary people who do extraordinary things."

Which is what I am saying.

The event ensures that there will be huge media attention on what is happening, at the concerts and the summit. So that is where the real issues should be exposed. And in a way which is not violent.

As I said before, without the media even having a small amount of sympathy for the cause, anytime any protestors have voiced an opinion it has only been seen in the context of violent protest as part of an anti-capitalist agenda. Thus it has been easy to dismiss and to portray as the views of a minority of trouble makers.

When everyday people get involved, that cannot happen. Live 8 allows that to happen.
  • Options
    Good source, it contains this passage:

"While the coming together of hundreds of thousands of people for the Make Poverty History and Live 8 events certainly should be understood as a genuine expression of human solidarity, if we are serious about wanting to change the way in which the world works it is essential that we do not make poverty of history in attempting to do so.

In other words, we need to ask ourselves: who have, historically, been the agents of change? And, importantly, who has the ability to change the way in which the world works today? The answer, of course, is not Bob and Bono. But neither is it Blair and Brown. It's ordinary, everyday people. It's us. It's you.

Those who have the power to not only make poverty history but to make history itself are the same as they always have been: ordinary people who do extraordinary things."

Which is what I am saying.

The event ensures that there will be huge media attention on what is happening, at the concerts and the summit. So that is where the real issues should be exposed. And in a way which is not violent.

As I said before, without the media even having a small amount of sympathy for the cause, anytime any protestors have voiced an opinion it has only been seen in the context of violent protest as part of an anti-capitalist agenda. Thus it has been easy to dismiss and to portray as the views of a minority of trouble makers.

When everyday people get involved, that cannot happen. Live 8 allows that to happen.

You don't half talk bollocks.............

Exactly how many of the Seattle crew do you think were there because of Slob Welloff?

Slob Welloff is there because of the Seattle crew - and he's diluting the message and turning the masses back onto dead raped dogs and the whackoness of Jacko.
  • Options
    Do you honestly believe that the actions of the "Seattle Crew" furthered the cause?
  • Options
    Do you honestly believe that the actions of the "Seattle Crew" furthered the cause?

yup - a lot more than slob welloff .......
  • Options
    It happened when exactly? Six years ago...

How far have we got now?