Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Organ Donation.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Zalbor wrote:
    I second that. Not attacking you (Rachie) or anything, just that after such a statement one expects an explanation.

As for myself, I certainly would. Though I haven't signed up yet...

Is it really true that even if you sign up your relatives can stop it? Cause my mum wouldn't like it. Some (unprovable, as far as I can tell) crap about the soul not being able to move on if the body isn't in one piece...

Your family can still object to it, yes. That is why it is important to tell them of your wishes to be a donor.

To join the register, https://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/servlet/mydetailsservlet
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Your family can still object to it, yes. That is why it is important to tell them of your wishes to be a donor.

To join the register, https://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/servlet/mydetailsservlet
    Not in the UK, remember? :)
  • Options
    Be truthful, I'm interested.
  • Options
    im a registerd organ doner so wen i die they can use my bits. depending on weather i stay healthy anyway
  • Options
    PM me if you like.
  • Options
    doners should opt out not in. is a brilliant idea they sould keep askin every few yrs or so to c if people have changed their minds too.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    I can't type it the same way I would articulate it - thus it doesn't sound right, and I'm sure many would take it the wrong way.. It's not that I don't want to, I just don't want to cause any offence or be lynched for that matter

Theres no need to worry about it, you have the choice and its nobody else's business what the reasons are. :)
  • Options
    question for the people who don't want to be donors:

do you think your opinion would change if you were ever in a position where you, or a loved one, needed a transplant?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    do you think your opinion would change if you were ever in a position where you, or a loved one, needed a transplant?

Honestly, no.

Might sound highly selfish, and maybe it is, but it really isn't something that i could bear the thought of happening to me. I might be dead, but at the same time i want everything i've lived with all my life to die with me. I can't really put it into words too well, but its just a thing i have.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    Might sound highly selfish, and maybe it is, but it really isn't something that i could bear the thought of happening to me. I might be dead, but at the same time i want everything i've lived with all my life to die with me. I can't really put it into words too well, but its just a thing i have.
    This is why I think it should be an opt in system - you cannot possibly obtain true consent for such an invasive process through somebody's apathy or ignorance in not opting out.

In a society where such a great fuss was created over the Alder Hey organ retention scandal, I do not think we could justify an opt out system.
  • Options
    i'm not being annoying or judgemental or anything, i'm just curious, as i can't really get my head around it.

it's like the one chance everyone gets to do something truly amazing for potentially loads of other people. and the best part is that you don't have to even do anything. apart from die, which you'll have done anyway. you won't even know.

i guess the way i look at it is: what if it were my husband/mother/baby girl who could have been saved by an organ that someone chose not to give. what if it were me? what if i died and my organs could save someone else's wife/dad/son, and i chose not to be a donor, and all those people died.
  • Options
    I agree i've no idea why you wouldnt' want to help someone - one of my best friends said that people could have anything except for her eyes and this seems to be a pretty common theame. I guess whilst your corneas could give someone sight it wouldn't save thier lives - but for all other organs you can donate its a matter of life or death for the person who receives the organ.

Honestly I was litterally bouncing around the office the day Jake texted me to say he was going to be OK, I can't imagine how chuffed his close friends were and if someone hadn't donated thier organs I would have been crying rather than smiling.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have a problem with my organs being used. :)

Am I right though, with things like kidney donation the person doesn't have to be dead to donate? Would people be happy going through surgery while they're still around to give someone else a kidney?

I only have one kidney so I can't do that, but if I could I think I'd go through with an operation if I knew I could save someone elese life. I mean I've been through operations before, they're no fun but not really too bad and if I knew I was saving someones life by doing it I wouldn't mind.
  • Options
    i av thought about donating my organs before, no way i might need them for after life lol
  • Options
    I'm definitely up for donating my organs when I die it's not like I'm going to need them.
  • Options
    I remember reading about a young girl who was terminally ill she wanted to donate her organs when she died but she said she wanted to keep her eyes so she could see in heaven that made me cry.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    If it was me, I'd still say no - if I'm meant to die then so be it - I don't really want to but thats how fate has worked out - I decided having an endoscopy would be too envasive so you can imagine how I feel about surgery to replace my organs with someone elses

i know i dont know you, but as ive been in that situation you've mentioned its horrible i know, but if your only chance for survival is for a transplant for whatever organ then surely you'd go for it wouldnt you?

i didnt like the idea of having someone elses organs inside me but it was my only chance for survival so i had to take it, i certainly wasnt going to refuse the operation and die.

if you were in the same situation i was in then i'm sure you'd accept the operation so that you can still be alive....

as i said before i know i dont know you, but it seems silly that you would refuse your only chance of continuing with your life.

;<
  • Options
    would they be able to use jake's transplanted liver again then? so that one liver would have saved two lives? or would it be too tired?

Hi,

Im completely new to this..my first post! Afraid they most probably wont be able to use Jake's liver again...transplanted organs only have a limited life. After you have received a transplant there is always the remote possibly that the transplanted organ may need replacing again in the future...therefore the chance of it still being viable for a third user are slim to none.

I, personally, would love to be an organ donor and am on the register etc...however the chances of you being suitable are so slim. Firstly your organs have to be suitable, then if they are, you must be kept artificially alive until they can operate, or be operated on immediately to remove those organs, before the tissues begin to die...and who hand on heart could say that in the first throes of shock and grief, they would be able to competently agree to the donation of their loved ones organs?

Sorry to be so depressing!...i think organ donation should be staight forward, about individual choice...unfortunately the problems with consent etc make it a little more complex.

:confused:
  • Options
    To be honest, once I'm dead, people can help themselves to any bits they like. They won't be doing me any good ;)
  • Options
    just remember, if it wasnt for organ donation then i wouldnt be here now :(
  • Options
    i think the weekends have put my organs into such a shape they'd be useless for anyone to take but i don't see why you shouldn't donate, lives are saved, look at Jake, we wouldn't have him here if it weren't for some decent person donating...