Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Organ Donation.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a random thread really, I've just been pondering over the issue. Personally, I think I would like to donate my organs in order to help save another life.

Who's thought about it? Who would? Who wouldn't?

Why would you/wouldn't you?

Hannah xx

Comments

• Options
    Have an organ donor card, have done since I was 12. not like I'm going to need them after.
  • Options
    yeah, i would, if they're in any fit state by then.

i won't need them where i'm going. waste not want not and all that.
  • Options
    Yep, would definitely want to donate. Pretty sure my parents would agree to it even I didn't carry a card though.
  • Options
    I don't have a card, but i ticked that bit on my drivers liscence application thing. I wouldn't mind, they would be no use to me and if they can help save someone elses life all the better.
  • Options
    ive had a donor card since i was about 11 and really stressed the issue with my parents. have also instructed them to properly make sure im dead first in case the docs make a mistake....also want a foghorn in my coffin with me, in case i wake up. have a big fear of waking up in a shut coffin and no-one realising im still alive. i know its nuts!
  • Options
    dont have a card, but ive told my parents i'd want to - just in case. where do you get the cards from?
  • Options
    Even if you have a card or have ticked a box, I'm pretty sure that the final decision still rests with your next of kin... so make sure you've made your feelings known, because some people do go against the wishes of the person who has died because at the time they're grief stricken.
  • Options
    ive had a donor card since i was about 11 and really stressed the issue with my parents. have also instructed them to properly make sure im dead first in case the docs make a mistake....also want a foghorn in my coffin with me, in case i wake up. have a big fear of waking up in a shut coffin and no-one realising im still alive. i know its nuts!

at least if you donate your organs you don't have to worry about waking up in your coffin.

see? another bonus. everyone's a winner.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    at least if you donate your organs you don't have to worry about waking up in your coffin.

see? another bonus. everyone's a winner.
    :lol:
  • Options
    as some of you may or may not know, i had a liver transplant in Feb this year and if it wasnt down to organ donation then i'd be dead.

I have a organ donor card, and i'm proud to have one, if it wasnt for all these people with organ donor cards then a lot of people wouldnt be here now.
  • Options
    I like the idea, but on my driving licence application the idea was too alien, so I left it out. Maybe when I'm older if I come round to the idea.
  • Options
    I don't think anybody would want my organs, i think all of them are pretty fucked.

The whole idea seriously freaks me out, i don't like the idea of being cut up when i'm dead. Didn't tick it when i applied for my provisional, and wouldn't consider donating at any time i don't think. Selfish, i know, but i really hate the idea.
  • Options
    I don't see why anyone else should be prevented from my organs when I die, as people have said not like I will need them.

Who wants my perfect arse then?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Who wants my perfect arse then?

Obviously not the ladies :p
  • Options
    the men do
  • Options
    I'm already a donor. Should I die, someone can have any part of me they see fit. I like the idea that in death I can save someone elses life.

I also think being a donor should be opt out, not opt in.
  • Options
    What would you care if you are cut up when dead.. you are dead!!! Some of you will have a post-mortem... whats the difference?

Would you rather save someone's life or let your organs rot away or go up in flames..??

Some people amaze me... some say have any part of my body... except my corneas!

Everyone is of course entitled to do whatever they like but really think about it and make sure you let your family know your wishes... one day you could save a few peoples lives... think about that. :)
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Even if you have a card or have ticked a box, I'm pretty sure that the final decision still rests with your next of kin... so make sure you've made your feelings known, because some people do go against the wishes of the person who has died because at the time they're grief stricken.
    Yeah that's true. That's why it's important to discuss these things with your loved ones before you die.
  • Options
    I also think being a donor should be opt out, not opt in.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I think it should remain opt in.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    What would you care if you are cut up when dead.. you are dead!!! Some of you will have a post-mortem... whats the difference?

Would you rather save someone's life or let your organs rot away or go up in flames..??

Some people amaze me... some say have any part of my body... except my corneas!

Everyone is of course entitled to do whatever they like but really think about it and make sure you let your family know your wishes... one day you could save a few peoples lives... think about that. :)

Does it ever strike you that others have differing beliefs?

Maybe some people think that their every part of their body is personal to them?

Some people might want open coffin funerals?

Some people might just not like the idea?

Stop attempting to take the moral high ground - they're only your morals, not everyones. Remember that.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Ditto.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

I agree completely. You can't cut someone up who's died and say "Well, they didn't say I couldn't...."
  • Options
    would they be able to use jake's transplanted liver again then? so that one liver would have saved two lives? or would it be too tired?
  • Options
    would they be able to use jake's transplanted liver again then? so that one liver would have saved two lives? or would it be too tired?

you know, ive never thought of that, i dont really see the problem with it, because the liver i have now works just as well as any other liver.
  • Options
    I think it'd be too tired.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I think it'd be too tired.

howso? i know it came from someone who was roughly my age
  • Options
    after you I mean
  • Options
    Do you mind me asking why?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Do you mind me asking why?
    I second that. Not attacking you (Rachie) or anything, just that after such a statement one expects an explanation.

As for myself, I certainly would. Though I haven't signed up yet...

Is it really true that even if you sign up your relatives can stop it? Cause my mum wouldn't like it. Some (unprovable, as far as I can tell) crap about the soul not being able to move on if the body isn't in one piece...