Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Manufacturing Jobs

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Renzo wrote:
    Britain is moving towards more high tech jobs.

My friend who does heating and gas just got back from Australia, he said everyone there has moved into doing office work so they're crying out for people like electrician, gas fitters, etc - he says you can make about $600 a day there - which over there would go very far.

He's planning on moving there within the next 12 months
  • Options
    Frankly I don't think BMW tried hard enough with Rover. Yes, they made the 75 which is a damn good car, but Rover are still making the 45, based on the old Honda Civic. This model should have been replaced years ago. If BMW still owned Rover today, they could use the platform from the 1 series, which would help cut costs.

Mercedes-Benz and Audi share their bits with Chrysler and the Volkswagen group respectively so I don't see why BMW shouldn't have taken to platform sharing with Rover. Obviously they didn't care enough about Rover and MG, they just wanted Land Rover and Mini.
  • Options
    Your above quote would have read exactly the same if he hadn't gone there with "It sickens me he didn't go there" instead.

Stop being so fucking transparent.
    They rushed to a private company going under just to look good as there were a number of marginal seats nearby - its as simple & cynical as that.

I don't see them rushing to the rural post offices whose future is aleady in serious jeopardy, whose job loses will be even greater than MGRover, and whose loss will devastate rural communities, particularly hitting hard the old and poor.
  • Options
    They rushed to a private company going under just to look good as there were a number of marginal seats nearby - its as simple & cynical as that.

Theres not a politician alive who wouldn't have run up there. It's why they are all shite. oIf you think Howard would have ignored the problem you are a fool.
    I don't see them rushing to the rural post offices whose future is aleady in serious jeopardy, whose job loses will be even greater than MGRover, and whose loss will devastate rural communities, particularly hitting hard the old and poor.

Market forces, old bean, can't argue with those now can you?
  • Options
    Rural post offices are a social/community amenities, they form the heart of many rural communities, and their loss would be a devastating blow to the elderly and poor.

The Banks have pulled out, bus services have been cut, and now the post offices are threatened.

http://www.malcolmbruce.libdems.org.uk/news/40.html
  • Options
    But they aren't profitable RK. On your own ideology from other threads you should think they should be closed.

Remember - money is everything, people are nothing.