Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Manufacturing Jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
During the last 4 years of Tory rule 200,000 manufacturing new jobs were created.

Since Labour came to power 1,000,000 manufacturing jobs have been lost - MGRover must be added to that total.

Of course we shouldn't really complain as Labour are managing the economy so successfully! :)

Comments

• Options
    Britain is moving towards more high tech jobs.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Britain is moving towards more high tech jobs.
    Oh thats all right then, perhaps Phoney Blair can tell that to the MGRover workers!!!!! They'll be sooooooooooooo happy!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Oh thats all right then, perhaps Phoney Blair can tell that to the MGRover workers!!!!! They'll be sooooooooooooo happy!

Perhaps the government should have put more money in to the company, though I would have thought thats something you wouldnt have approved of.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

if rover didnt make shit cars then they would be fine

they have not had a new model for god knows how long, just remade versions of old models
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    During the last 4 years of Tory rule 200,000 manufacturing new jobs were created.

Since Labour came to power 1,000,000 manufacturing jobs have been lost - MGRover must be added to that total.

Of course we shouldn't really complain as Labour are managing the economy so successfully! :)

That's capitalism for you.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    They'll be sooooooooooooo happy!

Just like the miners under Thatcher eh?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Perhaps the government should have put more money in to the company, though I would have thought thats something you wouldnt have approved of.

Should the government be propping up a private company?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Perhaps not, but when 6000 jobs are at stake surely it cant hurt so badly.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    if rover didnt make shit cars then they would be fine

they have not had a new model for god knows how long, just remade versions of old models

I'm not sure how shit they are / were, but for the specifications they were always way overpriced.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Let market forces decide...

Perhaps you would be so kind as to remind us of the unemployment, inflation and interest rate levels in 1996 and compare them to today then... just to underline your comment that is...
  • Options
    My dad loses the job he's had for 28 years in June when LG Philips closes it's factory in Durham to move work abroad. I don't blame the government, nor does he, market forces mean that if someone in China will work for 50p a day, why pay someone £6+ an hour to do the same thing?
  • Options
    You mention "market forces" like they're some kind of natural phenomena.
  • Options
    China is already by certain measures the second largest economy in the world and enjoys a priveledged position regards exchange rates. The dolar is currently weak and the chinese currency is tied to it making exports appear much much cheaper 25-40%.
    The goverment of the day needs to take steps in this case as the chinese currency should obviously be allowed to float. Manufacturing productivity has suffered badly under this goverment and there is far to much regulation. The government is far from blameless here.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So why is Phoney giving them £150 million then? Nothing to do with maginal seats I suppose - no of course not!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    So why is Phoney giving them £150 million then?

He isn't giving it to prop up a private company, have you actually read the news?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

It's probably more to do with the fact factories are moving abroad for cheap labour, this sacking British workers who selfishly demand minimum wage... The horror!
  • Options
    It's probably more to do with the fact factories are moving abroad for cheap labour, this sacking British workers who selfishly demand minimum wage... The horror!
    What's your solution then: force the companies to stay? scrap the minimum wage? rely on the service sector to mop up the workforce? boycott Chinese made goods?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What's your solution then: force the companies to stay? scrap the minimum wage? rely on the service sector to mop up the workforce? boycott Chinese made goods?
    I was being sarcastic :yeees:

Jobs in my area are being lost because of factories moving overseas though, leaving a lot of older people who've done nothing but <insert factory job here> for the past fifteen years with no other experience or qualifications. Plus the growth in the retail and bar industry tends to be biased towards younger people a lot of the times. It's a fact of life in towns like mine.

And minimum wage makes living possible in the UK.
  • Options
    I was being sarcastic :yeees:
    Yeah, I got that. So what's your solution to the reality of the situation we find ourselves in?
  • Options
    What really sickens me is the way Phoney & Gordon rushed to Longbridge not once but twice when the news came through!!! What a cynical bit of politicking weeping all those crocodile tears and announcing that "something must be done"!

Lets face it MG Rover made crap cars and was never a serious contender in the market place, why else did BMW sell it for £10 + £500 million of soft loan + a stock of 65,000 vehicles. They were glad to get rid of the albatross and rightly so! You'd have to be a mug to buy a Rover - drive a Beemer myself!

What Phoney should be keeping his eye on, and there has no mention of it in the Labour manifesto, is the probable closure of 6,000 rural post offices over the next 1-2 years. These post offices often form the hub of local communities and once they've gone, they've gone. We've seen the Banks close many of their small rural branches, the same is happening to the rural post offices and Labour is doing nothing about it.

Wake up Phoney before its too late!
  • Options
    Please try to stop using ! at the end of every sentence, it makes you look like some insane person ranting and raving at the television.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Please try to stop using ! at the end of every sentence, it makes you look like some insane person ranting and raving at the television.

What odds will you offer on him actually doing this?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You mention "market forces" like they're some kind of natural phenomena.

In a sense it is, I know these days it's very complicated and gots loads of bits and bots on but it is a natural progression - or degression (if thats the opposite) depending on your perspective.

And I love the ranting comment Jim ;)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Yeah, I got that. So what's your solution to the reality of the situation we find ourselves in?
    I don't think we have one to be fair because the industries in the UK are changing and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if factories are slowly becoming a trade of the past for towns like mine.

So what trends to expect?

Well for starters maybe the LEAs could pay for classes to help people that have been made redundent from factories to become computer literate.
  • Options
    In a sense it is, I know these days it's very complicated and gots loads of bits and bots on but it is a natural progression - or degression (if thats the opposite) depending on your perspective.

How so?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    How so?

You obviously don't think so, so why not explain why?
  • Options
    There is a real crisis with rural post offices that labour seem to be overlooking. 6,000 are at risk which means at least 12,000 job losses (probably much more) and the loss of an essential amenity for rural communities. Banks have already gone, now rural post offices will follow unless the government takes action.

It was only too willing to extend an £150 million aid package to off-set the effects of MG Rover, why can't it act as decisively with the rural post offices?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    You obviously don't think so, so why not explain why?

"market forces" are the result of a particular system that arose partly through historical accident and partly through design and is kept in place through force, therefore not really a result of "natural" progression y'know?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    [cough]THATCHER![/cough]

Oh, sorry, Tories making jobs, eh?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    What really sickens me is the way Phoney & Gordon rushed to Longbridge not once but twice when the news came through!!! What a cynical bit of politicking weeping all those crocodile tears and announcing that "something must be done"!

Your above quote would have read exactly the same if he hadn't gone there with "It sickens me he didn't go there" instead.

Stop being so fucking transparent.