Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do You see how Bad the situation in Iraq?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Actually NQA, if they had lost then they would have forever been recorded as terrorists not the heros we have immortalised them in our national psyche as being. My point being that one must consider what is being fought against as well as the santised focussed merely on the momentary action of any individual or group which is presented by our media to the public.

Not neccessarily. Whilst terrorist first appeared in English in 1795 and was used to describe the French Jacobins (who by that time had become the Government) it only began to be used to describe sub-state groups in the mid-nineteenth century.

For example we don't refer Wat Tyler as a terrorist nor to the Indian Mutineers as terrorists.

That's not to say that Washington et al didn't use terroristic methods eg the hanging of Tories etc

Let us also remember that those French we immortalise as "the resistance" during WWII were to the occupying powers merely "terrorists", all the more so because just as we see with the Iraqis (falsely labelled "insurgents"), so too did the French target their own countrymen who dared work with the occupying forces.

The French were labelled 'terrorists' by the Germans in WW2 and come to that they refered to the USAAF and RAF Bomber Command as terrorists at times as well. However the definition I use excludes that. Come to that the early resistance by Iraqi groups wasn't terrorism either (which isn't to say I support a ragbag of Baathist supporters and Islamic or that there methods weren't terroristic).
  • Options
    You like talking in shite riddles, don't you?

It beats talking shite like what you are saying is fact.
    So, what do you want us to do about it, was my question.

Admit that you have no "power", ask why and go from there.
    You complained that a discussion about definitions was going on, so what would you have preferred. We cannot prevent the deaths of these people, it isn't possible.

How do you make it possible then? That's where I would start from.
    If you look at what you said, that wasn't an option. You said there was only "irght" and "wrong". So which is it?

There is only "wrong". Once you realise it the whole thing becomes much easie to face up to. A random quote from Terry Pratchett. -

"There are always and forever only bad people, but some of them are on different sides."
  • Options
    So it wasn't a mistake then surely.

If, at the time, Truman considered it to be the right thing. If it achieved it's aims - helped to end the war. If we learned the effects of atomic weaponry on a general population and this has lead to the fact the these bombs haven't been used since...

Then surely it was a good thing...?

Does this mean that everytime there is "Government"(="non-terrorist"..NQA`s academic definition) murder,with "lessons learned" :nervous: then it is a "good thing"?

100,000 is a mere drop in the ocean.What lessons do you think have been learned here ? (Especially this page ).Education,education,education.

seeker
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Admit that you have no "power", ask why and go from there.

Ask why I don't have power?

Huh?

No-one has power to prevent death. Why would I boher to ask why that is...
    How do you make it possible then? That's where I would start from.

Go on then. How do you make it possible to prevent death.
    There is only "wrong".

By your definintion, in your opinion. Yes?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Does this mean that everytime there is "Government"(="non-terrorist"..NQA`s academic definition) murder,with "lessons learned" :nervous: then it is a "good thing"?

Nope, but then that's not what I was arguing. The comment was that something had been a mistake, I disagreed.

But perhaps you should look at the difference between a positive outlook and a negative one.
  • Options
    Heated debate

Please try to keep calm guys, even though I realise this is an emotive thread.