Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do You see how Bad the situation in Iraq?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have seen these pictures in a site and liked to show them to YOU !!

* Feel free to link to the site, though with a warning that the images in the link may be distressing. Though looking over the images I'd have to wonder if you've the permission of the people involved to publish the images.

Anyway the images are really old, have been posted before, are fucking badly put together (welcome to the world of 12 year olds with photoshop), and don't tell us anything we didn't know *

Comments

• Options
    I have seen these pictures in a site and liked to show them to YOU !!

* if you saw these pictures in a site, link to them with a warning that they may be distressing. Though as has been said, they've been posted before and it really isn't a surprise that people get hurt in war *
  • Options
    A) We've seen these before.

B) Do you think it's really appropriate to post those pictures on a website aimed at young teenagers.

C) If you want to contribute, why not join a debate, or start a debate. Spamming is a waste of my bandwith.
  • Options
    Moron.

Its called War.

People get maimed.

People Die.

Fuck off.

Edit: No thanks required.
  • Options
    Moron. Its called War. People get maimed. People Die. Fuck off.
    :mad: You really are one cold-hearted bastard, aren't you? Those soldiers out there are putting THEIR arses on the line, sent into a war on the basis of a pack of lies. So, as you seem so indifferent to the plight of war, I take it you'll be signing up for duty in Iraq? No, thought not. Heartless cunt.
  • Options
    Moron.

Its called War.

People get maimed.

People Die.

Fuck off.

Despite how much of a fucking cunt The Matadore is (see Rubberskin thread in Anything Goes) I don't really want to have to see pictures of people with their faces blown off. :(
  • Options
    Moron.

Its called War.

People get maimed.

People Die.

Fuck off.

:mad: fucking prick just because you're some middle class fucking dick...get a life...i know the pictures are distasteful but you really go beyond me... i'd love to see you in iraq fighting for what you "believe" in... you'd fucking shit the load in two seconds you wannabe...why don't you enroll tonight and go over there and fight if you're so cool...although i hate the regime of america i have a lot of respect for the soldiers...they're putting their necks on the line for some wanker administration... a lot more than you'll ever do sunshine...i'm fucking glad i never got wound up in that neo-con shite...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    although i hate the regime of america i have a lot of respect for the soldiers...they're putting their necks on the line for some wanker administration

WHY would someone "put their neck on the line" for some "wanker administration" ? Why do you have a lot of respect for someone who does?

stargalaxy wrote:
    Those soldiers out there are putting THEIR arses on the line, sent into a war on the basis of a pack of lies.
    emphasis mine

They didn`t go voluntarily? Were they just "following orders" ?

seeker
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    WHY would someone "put their neck on the line" for some "wanker administration" ? Why do you have a lot of respect for someone who does?

emphasis mine

They didn`t go voluntarily? Were they just "following orders" ?

seeker

you're far too simplistic (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming that you aren't speaking poorly of those soldiers). They aren't putting their next on the line FOR a "wanker administration" they are doing it BECAUSE of one. There is a difference, and the fact that they are dieing for a cause (real or imagined) is something to respect.

What’s with the whole “emphasis mine” thing?
  • Options
    you're far too simplistic

Isn`t life simple,once you cut the crap?

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming that you aren't speaking poorly of those soldiers).

Which soldiers?The ones in the pictures?Would it be alright to "speak poorly" of the "Iraqi" soldiers?What about "German" soldiers 1939-1945? "Japanese" soldiers?
    They aren't putting their next on the line FOR a "wanker administration" they are doing it BECAUSE of one. There is a difference, and the fact that they are dieing for a cause (real or imagined) is something to respect.

Could you explain what that difference is?Do you respect EVERYone who dies for a cause?

What’s with the whole “emphasis mine” thing?
    I have added it to show that the original quote didn`t have the emphasis in it.

seeker
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Isn`t life simple,once you cut the crap?

Which soldiers?The ones in the pictures?Would it be alright to "speak poorly" of the "Iraqi" soldiers?What about "German" soldiers 1939-1945? "Japanese" soldiers?

Could you explain what that difference is?Do you respect EVERYone who dies for a cause?

I have added it to show that the original quote didn`t have the emphasis in it.

seeker

your attempts at analytically tearing down my arguments are embarrassing and you simplistic views are even worse.

1: you can't take a complicated issue and boil it down to "their government is wrong so their lives are unimportant" bull that is nothing short of dehumanization.

2:By try to make soldiers villains you accomplish nothing. They are people after all, and despite their political views a certain level of respect must be shown to people who are willing to sacrifice.
  • Options
    you can't take a complicated issue and boil it down to "their government is wrong so their lives are unimportant" bull that is nothing short of dehumanization.

I didn`t realise I had said that :chin: ,.I`d say lives are TOO important to be sacrificed to propaganda.But as you brought up dehumanization.Isn`t that what "war" does?Take a simple conflict between 2 guys that gets heated and they come to blows.Emotive,and often derogatory,remarks are made by onlookers.

Package the conflict up as a "cause",perhaps add the mental concept of "nations" and it is fast becoming "noble and heroic"(Words like "our boys" are used).Dehumanization??How about shaving heads,throw in a uniform and don`t forget the all important flag.(An anthem never goes amiss).

By try to make soldiers villains you accomplish nothing. They are people after all, and despite their political views a certain level of respect must be shown to people who are willing to sacrifice.

They ARE people.But you may think that as simplistic?

You never answered the question I posed. Do you respect ALL people who die/sacrifice for a cause?

seeker
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    I didn`t realise I had said that :chin: ,.I`d say lives are TOO important to be sacrificed to propaganda.But as you brought up dehumanization.Isn`t that what "war" does?Take a simple conflict between 2 guys that gets heated and they come to blows.Emotive,and often derogatory,remarks are made by onlookers.

Package the conflict up as a "cause",perhaps add the mental concept of "nations" and it is fast becoming "noble and heroic"(Words like "our boys" are used).Dehumanization??How about shaving heads,throw in a uniform and don`t forget the all important flag.(An anthem never goes amiss).

They ARE people.But you may think that as simplistic?

You never answered the question I posed. Do you respect ALL people who die/sacrifice for a cause?

seeker
    what are you trying to get at?....i hope its not what i think?
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    what are you trying to get at?....i hope its not what i think?

What`s on your mind,Deano Mac ?

seeker
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    What`s on your mind,Deano Mac ?

seeker
    "do you respect all people who die/sacrifice for a cause?"..what do you mean by this? are you suggesting that terrorists have a noble cause?
  • Options
    Define "terrorist" Deano. To those whose doors our soldiers kick-in in the middle of the night in Iraq to drag their sons out or shoot them dead on the spot or those who have watched entire families annihilated by barrages of over 3000 missiles launched on Baghdad and other civilian populated areas, WE are the terrorists.

So don't go buying into media fed labels too readily merely for the sake of misplaced nationalistic sentiments.

After all, those the Pentagon and corporate media regularly call "terrorists" are "resistance" or "freedom" fighters to the men, women and children for whom they fight.
  • Options
    Define "terrorist" Deano. To those whose doors our soldiers kick-in in the middle of the night in Iraq to drag their sons out or shoot them dead on the spot or those who have watched entire families annihilated by barrages of over 3000 missiles launched on Baghdad and other civilian populated areas, WE are the terrorists.

So don't go buying into media fed labels too readily merely for the sake of misplaced nationalistic sentiments.

After all, those the Pentagon and corporate media regularly call "terrorists" are "resistance" or "freedom" fighters to the men, women and children for whom they fight.
    i take your point about our soldiers,and i never wanted this war myself.by "terrorists" i mean people who deliberately set out to kill inoccent people for their own political aim.you could argue that we are doing the same,but i dont believe that is our governments intention in a war situation.
    i seperate terrorists from soldiers because i don't think they are the same thing.
    911 shocked me so much and the ken bigley situation sickend me,to think people can do such things to another beggers belief!
    i may sound like i am buying into media fed labels,but i can assure you i'm not.the iraq people have a genuine argument with the west,and i hate the fact this war reflects badly on us all.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i seperate terrorists from soldiers because i don't think they are the same thing.

terrorists for many are the soldiers of the people...we only call them terrorists because they're not our soldiers and they're fighting against our western ideals...i'm sure in Iraq they call the U.S army terrorists or some word along that same description...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    terrorists for many are the soldiers of the people...we only call them terrorists because they're not our soldiers and they're fighting against our western ideals...i'm sure in Iraq they call the U.S army terrorists or some word along that same description...
    well possibly,but the two need to be defined.
    proffessional soldiers are trained to fight other soldiers in a war situation.they are not trained to target civilians,they are trained to protect them(in theory).
    we all seem to have an opinion about whats happening over there,but i don't believe you can have a real perspective unless you are there...you must get bitter as a soldier watching your mates get killed,they need our respect even though i don,t agree with them being there.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    we all seem to have an opinion about whats happening over there,but i don't believe you can have a real perspective unless you are there....

well thats true to a degree but when you see clips on the tv of american missiles pounding bagdhad and other areas and see the remnants of suicide car bombs you know the country is a mess...
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    are you suggesting that terrorists have a noble cause?

In their eyes they do.

Have you ever considered that it's just a matter or perspectives. Personally, anyne who believes in a cause enough to die for it has to be respected and perhaps even feared.

How far would you go?

~~~~
    Which brings me to Mat's point. It is war, people do die and we should face up to that. We may not like it, the scenes may be horrific but it is the reality.

And just because that happens doesn't make it any less necessary at times.
  • Options
    In their eyes they do.

Have you ever considered that it's just a matter or perspectives. Personally, anyne who believes in a cause enough to die for it has to be respected and perhaps even feared.

How far would you go?

~~~~
    Which brings me to Mat's point. It is war, people do die and we should face up to that. We may not like it, the scenes may be horrific but it is the reality.

And just because that happens doesn't make it any less necessary at times.
    i do accept that they have their own way to fight a war,and from their perspective it is noble.to be honest,if england was under attack i suspect that the majority of people would fight to the death to preserve their freedom,this must be how they see it.
    the problem i have, is attacking civilians is the most under hand way of getting your point across,they should attack the army that is attacking them!
    in my opinion it is not the way to fight a war and is evil...they are "terrorists" not noble protagonists,they deserve no respect for these despicable acts of murder on innocent people.we can see their side as common people,why can't they see ours? do they not realise that "terrorism" undermines their cause and gains no respect from anyone! fear alone will not change anything,and will only turn the western worlds "common" people against them.
  • Options
    Terrorism is all a matter of geographical perspective . . . if you grow up in one country its one thing and in another its different.
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    well possibly,but the two need to be defined.
    proffessional soldiers are trained to fight other soldiers in a war situation.they are not trained to target civilians,they are trained to protect them(in theory).

So then a terrorist is someone who deliberatley targets civillians?

Ok then well what about Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WW2? Or the British bombing campaigns on the German civillians? The pilots who carried out those attacks are they terrorists or just doing their duty to the cause? Are they soley respondible for all the deaths they caused or are the ones that ordered it?
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    we all seem to have an opinion about whats happening over there,but i don't believe you can have a real perspective unless you are there...you must get bitter as a soldier watching your mates get killed,they need our respect even though i don,t agree with them being there.

Yeah i totally agree - these guys must have seen terrible things . . . but remember we're the agressors.

And to be honest calling it a war is a bit of a stretch - kind of on the level of a 200lb fella beating up a 120lb lad and calling it a fight .

But regardless of that a cause is a cause - its only seems to become terrorism when their cause results in them killing us
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    we can see their side as common people,why can't they see ours?

. . . please . . .

What is it? Approaching 100,000 civilian casualties in Iraq? Remember the whole torture issue?

War time protagonists do not respect civllian life . . . if you believe we're any better in that respect you have a very romanticised view of the west.
  • Options
    Most academic literature on terrorism makes a distincition between terrorists and terroristic. Terroristic can be practiced by both Governments and non-Governments. Terrorism can only be done by non-Governmental groups.

I can't quite remember where the definition is from but a good one of terrorism is 'The use of violence, or threat of violence, to bring about or stop a political change by a sub-state group in a state where there are political avenues that could bring about that change peacefully'

It could be argued that pre-elections the Iraqi resistance were freedom fighters. Its a bit harder to claim that now, when there is a democratic government in place and when the majority of Iraqis were able to vote for it (whether or not they did so).
  • Options
    What is it? Approaching 100,000 civilian casualties in Iraq?

A better estimate is more like 20,000, a fair proportion of which have been killed by the Iraqis themselves http://www.iraqbodycount.net/

The 100,000 estimate is seriosly flawed.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    A better estimate is more like 20,000, a fair proportion of which have been killed by the Iraqis themselves http://www.iraqbodycount.net/

The 100,000 estimate is seriosly flawed.

The 100,000 estimate is no doubt an over estimate but the www.iraqbodycount.net estimate is just as flawed. Hang on a sec let me find the article . . . can't remember where i read it . . .
  • Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/lastword/story/0,,1374187,00.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7967-2004Oct28.html

Yeah its an inaccurate way to measure the deaths but Iraqybodycount.net isn't any better.

Even if we take the middle ground between the two estimates, your looking at 60,000 civilian deaths.

Even if you just take iraqbodycount.net's 20,000 estimate your still looking at a hell of a lot more casualties than in the 7/11 attacks.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Most academic literature on terrorism makes a distincition between terrorists and terroristic. Terroristic can be practiced by both Governments and non-Governments. Terrorism can only be done by non-Governmental groups.

I think the destinction there is pretty thin - two organisations can perform the same act but if one is a national government its 'terroristic' and the other is terrorism?

The labels are irrelevant to be honest, and I wonder how many of these academics are from outside western europe and the US? These distinctions are only made so that Western government can continue this myth that our actions result from a considered moral stance - that we are somehow morally superior. Its also helpful because America is only to aware that no other government can touch it - which means any attacks on American soil are terrorism and their retaliation is noble and just.

Its just lovely to have the moral upper hand.
    NQA wrote:
    I can't quite remember where the definition is from but a good one of terrorism is 'The use of violence, or threat of violence, to bring about or stop a political change by a sub-state group in a state where there are political avenues that could bring about that change peacefully'

It could be argued that pre-elections the Iraqi resistance were freedom fighters. Its a bit harder to claim that now, when there is a democratic government in place and when the majority of Iraqis were able to vote for it (whether or not they did so).

Yes, who wouldn't want a foreign imposed democratic regime. Its the american dream.

Look the simple fact is you can't invade (sorry, 'liberate') a country, kill a whole shit load of their people and expect them to be happy about it - setting up a government doesn't then mean anyone still resisting your occupation is a terrorist.
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Terrorism is all a matter of geographical perspective . . . if you grow up in one country its one thing and in another its different.

So then a terrorist is someone who deliberatley targets civillians?

Ok then well what about Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WW2? Or the British bombing campaigns on the German civillians? The pilots who carried out those attacks are they terrorists or just doing their duty to the cause? Are they soley respondible for all the deaths they caused or are the ones that ordered it?

Yeah i totally agree - these guys must have seen terrible things . . . but remember we're the agressors.

And to be honest calling it a war is a bit of a stretch - kind of on the level of a 200lb fella beating up a 120lb lad and calling it a fight .

But regardless of that a cause is a cause - its only seems to become terrorism when their cause results in them killing us
    world war 2 has nothing to do with what i am saying!...terrorists do target civillians! fact! hiroshima was a mistake we have learnt from,looking at our military past does nothing for this argument.
  • Options
    so am i to assume that terrorism is justifiable because of the wests shady past?