Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can guys and girls ever be just close friends?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have previously posted in this topic..but my views have kind of changed based on my personal situation.

I have a crush on my best guy friend, but am pretty sure he just views me as a mate. I went to the movies with him earlier, and my 14 year old sister has been teasing me ever since. She actually said that a guy and a girl can't just be friends. ARGH that annoys me..therefore I completely disagree with what I have previously posted, and I DO THINK ITS POSSIBLE. Although, in my case, I do feel more towards my friend than he does for me..but whatever.
  • Options
    werll it is just gets weird. what if he/she says no. does the friendship remain the same?
  • Options
    werll it is just gets weird. what if he/she says no. does the friendship remain the same?

Personally i think that a friendship would not be the smae if this happened because then he/she would kinow the other was intrested in them as more than friends so may feel less comfortable talking openly with them. They can remain good friends but often on a lower level than they were previously at if you understand what I mean.
  • Options
    i've always found that its hard to be close friends with a guy- as much as u love him theres always a kind of flirtatious thing going on and a lot of times you cant tell him EVERYTHING you would a girlfriend. gay guys are my favorite people in the world- they talk to you honestly, you always know theres nothign going on and therefore you feel comfortable saying anything....i keep saying "you" but i mean "me"...anyways....i find it hard :crazyeyes
  • Options
    They can remain good friends but often on a lower level than they were previously at if you understand what I mean.

I had the opposite. I told a female friend I liked her and she said she didn't want to start anything, but we became much closer afterwards. Maybe because she always suspected something and once it was in the open, we didn't have to worry about it anymore.
  • Options
    Actually I have a further question kind of linked to this. I have a very good female friend who I'm totally in love with but she's always said we shouldn't start anything.

I was talking to a mutual friend the other day and asked if she'd ever mentioned it and she said that yes she had. She [the girl I like] had said that she knew she ought to feel the same way I do, had tried to do so and didn't know why she couldn't...

...any thoughts?
  • Options
    I agree with VV tbh. I think men and women CAN be friends, but in my experience, its usually a case of unrequited love/lust for one of them and they settle for friendship as the next best thing. Of course there are exceptions to this.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I think when you are 15 you are more likely to fancy your friends.

I have several close female friends and don't fancy them, and they don't fancy me. It becomes a lot easier when people are settled.

Yeah exactly, but swop females with males obviously.

In our group at school there was about 8 lads and i can safely say that i didn't fancy any of them, not because they were ugly or anything, but juts because they were my friends and i couldn't see them any other way?
  • Options
    im the same with kermit as for living arrangements at uni, live in a house with three females

its cool
  • Options
    My best friend is a girl I've grown up with. There is nothing sexual in our relationship as she is more like a sister than anything. I'll admit to being over-protective of her though, but that is just natural. We have a unique bond so to speak.

I have another close friend who is female who I do fancy but I openly admit it and we laugh about it. She's like a childhood sweetheart. I can't remember not ever fancying her since I was about 14 (19 now).

I've tried staying friends with exes. It doesn't work. No matter how close you were as boyfriend/girlfriend this never translates to a close friendship. There will always be feelings that can't be avoided.

IMO Everyone should have a close friend of the opposite sex though. :yes: