Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

'Cannabis destroyed my brother'

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    on that basis...imagine the dreams rolly would have if he went without for a month :crazyeyes:...all those years...would probably wake up thinking he was on DMT
  • Options
    Dosen't he take breaks the odd time and not smoke for months...goes for ages smoking it constantly too..can take it or leave it. I'm away to bed..see if i'll dream..haven't really smoked today, just had a spliff at lunchtime compared to the usual stoned most of the time.
  • Options
    you know it'll dull that delightfully inquisitive intellect of yours...
  • Options
    on that basis...imagine the dreams rolly would have if he went without for a month :crazyeyes:...all those years...would probably wake up thinking he was on DMT
    :D i do actualy leave it alone for a few months ...then get wasted then smoke tiny ammounts through the week and get high at the weekends. but i do actualy leave it alone.
    but i always dream ...very rare i don't.
  • Options
    :D i do actualy leave it alone for a few months ...then get wasted then smoke tiny ammounts through the week and get high at the weekends. but i do actualy leave it alone.
    but i always dream ...very rare i don't.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    It does raise the risk quite a lot in people who are pre-dispositioned to mental illness, but it also raises the risk in people who otherwise wouldnt be susceptible, but not by as much.
    I read it in Nursing times magazine, but cant find it on the website so cant link to it sorry.
    There was a link on the BMJ website to a paper on Cannabis and psychosis, is that the one you mean?
  • Options
    Hmmm, you're into slightly dodgy ground there, people who were not susceptable, how would you know that?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    That is the study I referred to where their initial findings were that heavy smoking might permanently change the brain chemistry of young users, in a way that might make them more likely to suffer mental illness.
  • Options
    Oh definately and I have been consistantly strong in my views about young people using drugs on here.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Hmmm, you're into slightly dodgy ground there, people who were not susceptable, how would you know that?
    no genetic disposition etc.
  • Options
    no genetic disposition etc.

Whether people are genetically disposed to suffer mental illness is only just vaguely understood, and even if you are genetically diposed it doesnt mean you will suffer.

Its a complex area I'm certainly not expert in.
  • Options
    even when i'm sober every time i close my eyes i trip out...i think i want myself to trip subconsuoucly but my mind says fuck this shit...i have some really vivid dreams...sometimes good sometimesnot... i heard a professor say once that dreams are another part of reality but i'll hold him to that one yet...