Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'Cannabis destroyed my brother'

No, not my words, but rather that of Pam Blake. The 51-year old from Hayling Island near Portsmouth said her brother Brian spiralled into schizophrenia and delusional behaviour. She believes this was because of his smoking and cannabis use. Click here for story.

So, as you lot here in the drugs forums like to talk down to anyone who doesn't know absolutely everything there is to know about drugs, (and more besides) what do you make of all this?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    we make of it (by that i mean 'i') what we always have, indeed i've posted this sentiment today as it happens for the umpteenth time...

CANNABIS CAN AND HAS BEEN REPEATEDLY SHOWN TO EXACCERBATE EXISTING OR LATANT SYMPTOMS OF MENTAL ILLNESS, particularly schiezophrenia, in repeat users.

What IS your point SG? we know this...it is said and tragic and god alone knows i wouldnt not want to go through it...BUT WE KNOW THIS SG... we spend a good amount of time on this board discussing it, some of us read up on, some of us even attend public lectures on it...

Yet here you are again...trying to tell us something you think we do not know...CANNABIS CAN HARM certain people and has usage patterns as varied as the day long...
    So, as you lot here in the drugs forums like to talk down to anyone who doesn't know absolutely everything there is to know about drugs, (and more besides) what do you make of all this?

we dont talk down to you SG, you have it good in here and we dont abuse you or make fun of you or anything. But when you come in here with sensationalist bollocks trying to catch us out because you think that everyone in here thinks all drugs are great and brilliant and harm-free and that everything thats ever been said about every psychoactive substance ever is a big fat lie to spoil our fun...well...we do get sick of it...

The point of this board is FOR people to be informed, FOR people to learn and debate and discuss...you included...the problem is that you have to admit that you dont know about certain things...if you asked questions more instead of coming in with the 'AHA, AHA!' type posts then we probs wouldnt come across as condescending.

In the grand scheme of things i know fuck bloody all about a massive and contested topic called 'drugs', but at least im trying to fill that gap. Looking to catch people out will not help anyone in here or further your knowledge...theres no need. :)
  • Options
    On a related subject, i read a piece in the paper yesterday how cannabis drove Jodi Jones's boyfriend to kill her....of course they mentioned he had a pre-existing mental condition but it was actually the weed that made him do it. With ignorance like that its a suprise tokers arent shot on sight....we're all murders dont you know *sigh*

Peace
  • Options
    which paper did you read this in?
  • Options
  • Options
    if you abuse most substances they will most likely abuse you. (this is a very crude and by no means universal rule, but sems to be the case for alot of people)
  • Options
    That's just 2 examples of people out of how many cannabis smokers? I know the amount of people being entered for mental health problems in psychatric wards with cannabis problems is going up and as someone said there if the drug is abused then it can cause problems.

If people have mental health issues lying in their minds then cannabis use may only trigger it off.
  • Options
    which paper did you read this in?

Unsuprisingly it was in the Mail....im not a mail reader by any means. I actually understand the meaning of "the real world" for a start, but it was in the house.

Peace
  • Options
    So what? Alcohol ruins lives, too, are you going to start preaching that everyone becomes tee total in case they get drunk and murder someone? AlmightyBob is right, there's always a bigger picture but in cases of illegal drugs people don't see it as they would had the guy been drunk, say.
  • Options
    we dont talk down to you SG, blah blah blah...
    Yeah right, that'll be a first, Martin...
    you come in here with sensationalist bollocks...
    It's just a report I saw on the BBC website, just curious what you lot make of it, though I admit it is sensationalist.
    ...because you think that everyone in here thinks all drugs are great and brilliant and harm-free...
    Really? Where am I on record for saying that? My knowledge of drug use is admittedly patchy. Yet, when I come onto this forum to ask questions, I am mocked and lampooned, notably by yourself.
    ...and that everything thats ever been said about psychoactive substances is a big fat lie...
    I don't even know where you got that one from.

The reason I posted this was merely to see what you make of the media putting out all the hysteria and the sensationalism on an important topic.
  • Options
    this

is a contradictory statement to this;
    The reason I posted this was merely to see what you make of the media putting out all the hysteria and the sensationalism on an important topic.

im not talking down to you SG, the context in which you framed your original post was to put to drugs board posters a situation in which cannabis use could cause harm, and add a little footnote about how haughty we are about what we do and do not know relative to people maybe have better things to do with their time that read about drugs all day.

That is why you got that reply...but you already know this, you're just covering your ass because you know you've been had.

There is nothing wrong with your post at all, just the way you put it across got you a similar reaction.

oh and still when have we ever talked down to you?
  • Options
    im not talking down to you SG, the context in which you framed your original post was to put to drugs board posters a situation in which cannabis use could cause harm, and add a little footnote about how haughty we are about what we do and do not know relative to people maybe have better things to do with their time that read about drugs all day.
    Utter nonsense. If you are implying that I have nothing to do with my days, I have plenty. It's simply that I choose not to discuss this on the boards, preferring instead to put it on LiveJournal. I don't accept my post was badly phrased at all. All I ask is simply what people think. Is her account credible, for example?
  • Options
    im sorry if this wasnt clear but i was reffering to myself and other posters, WE have nothing better to do than read about drugs all day.
    All I ask is simply what people think

if that is all you ask, then only ask that.

i didnt say it was badly worded, what i am saying is it was constructed in a confronational manner which provoked a reaction
  • Options
    Stargalaxy, some people can use drugs fine, some can't, some people can drink, some can't, let's just leave it at that.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    Stargalaxy, some people can use drugs fine, some can't, some people can drink, some can't, let's just leave it at that.
    At no point did I mention alcohol. I accept some people have a higher tolerance level when it comes to drug usage. Though tolerance and understanding does not seem to extend to the Drugs boards.

As for my original post that started this thread, maybe it was somewhat aggressive. But what exactly do you expect when it was posted so late at night? Isn't a man ever allowed to be tired?
  • Options
    and its man ever allowed to respond in kind ?

on with the debate...
  • Options
    i don't think any of us are realy in a position to back up or refute what this woman believs happened.
    in all my years of smoking i have never seen anyone suffer any long term problems apart from ...the people who you would suspect may do with or without drink and drugs.
    some people are fucked in this life ...destined not to cope.
    was it the weed? i doubt it but of course it could well be the substance that tipped the balance.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    At no point did I mention alcohol. I accept some people have a higher tolerance level when it comes to drug usage. Though tolerance and understanding does not seem to extend to the Drugs boards.

As for my original post that started this thread, maybe it was somewhat aggressive. But what exactly do you expect when it was posted so late at night? Isn't a man ever allowed to be tired?

I know you didn't mention alcohol but I am, alcohol is in my opinion a much more harmful drug than cannabis, look at the amount of people that die each year from alcohol, the families that are destroyed, i've seen people die from drink slowly, i know i'll see more.
    Cannabis dosen't destroy people the way drink does, if a person drinks long enough they can't get off drink, if they don't drink they'll die, if you smoke cannabis for years and you suddenly stop you might find it hard to get to sleep at night and have very realistic vivid dreams, tolerance and understanding is everything in alcohol and drug abuse.

Have you ever been stoned?
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    I know you didn't mention alcohol but I am, alcohol is in my opinion a much more harmful drug than cannabis, look at the amount of people that die each year from alcohol, the families that are destroyed, i've seen people die from drink slowly, i know i'll see more.
    I agree with this. I'm not quite sure where I stand with the cannabis issue. I think there might be medical benefits in some cases, but what I would also say is that more research needs doing on this drug.
  • Options
    If alcohol was only made now i'm sure it would be illegal, under Class A. Cannabis is a relatively harmless drug but can have some problems for some people.

Can be mentally addictive, but that's not hard to beat if you want to. It's your mind against the body and the mind is stronger.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I agree with this. I'm not quite sure where I stand with the cannabis issue. I think there might be medical benefits in some cases, but what I would also say is that more research needs doing on this drug.
    SG ...cannabis has had so much research it's unbelievable.
    one of thre most in depth ones was in victorian times ...the research still stands to this day.
    british soldiers were using the stuff on a huge level ...some were going crazy ...realy fucking crazy as were many of the locals ...it was deffo the cannabis ...until that was this great research was done ...it turned out to be syphilis!
    then the wooton report of the late sixties ...set up by the government again ...lady wooton came back with the advice that it should be fully legalised ...the government imediatley put the penalties up!
    they didn't want their own comittee coming up with such ideas.
    all the research thats ever been done has always come to the conclusion that if you are mentaly troubled or emotionaly unstable ...using the stuff isn't a good idea.
    there is nothing new iun any of these more recent findings.
  • Options
    Can be mentally addictive, but that's not hard to beat if you want to. It's your mind against the body and the mind is stronger

i'd be careful with that one mate, Crack is not physically addictive and you wouldnt make the same arguement there.

Each individual's usage patterns will differ and what is easy for one may not be for another for an almost infinately diverse set of reasons.
  • Options
    Yea i know martin but cannabis addicition wouldn't be alongside the same as crack.

I know toking can be mentally addicting, if you get into a habit of smoking the same times each day you want to get stoned, have a smoke and if it's there it's gonna be smoked. Some smoke their gear too quick though, mate had a 1/2oz yesterday, none anymore.
  • Options
    Yes, cannabis is dangerous, not only is smoking not good for you, which is obvious but its really bound not to be great for those with pre-existing mental health concerns.

But, you have to look at the risk objectively, for those who are at risk it raises the risk by 4 times (I believe thats the figure the government was saying), but 4 times what?

4 times a 1 in a million chance isnt all that much of a risk for example.

Heavy cannabis use is linked to mental health concerns, but then heavy use of ANY intoxicant from chocolate to crack cocaine is linked to problems.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yes, cannabis is dangerous, not only is smoking not good for you, which is obvious but its really bound not to be great for those with pre-existing mental health concerns.

But, you have to look at the risk objectively, for those who are at risk it raises the risk by 4 times (I believe thats the figure the government was saying), but 4 times what?

4 times a 1 in a million chance isnt all that much of a risk for example.

Heavy cannabis use is linked to mental health concerns, but then heavy use of ANY intoxicant from chocolate to crack cocaine is linked to problems.
    It does raise the risk quite a lot in people who are pre-dispositioned to mental illness, but it also raises the risk in people who otherwise wouldnt be susceptible, but not by as much.
    I read it in Nursing times magazine, but cant find it on the website so cant link to it sorry.
  • Options
    Yea i know martin but cannabis addicition wouldn't be alongside the same as crack.

no its an extreme example i grant you.

Addiction Psychiatry is a highly contested area, particularly as it such an individualistic area involving ridiculous amounts of socio-economic, biological, chemical and psychiatric variables. I had the opportunity to chat (albeit briefly, could have chatted to that geezer for hours) to a consultant in addiction psychiatry who works with all manner of addiction models in Brum.

The impression i was given was particularly with cannabis addiction that addiction models are socially reinforced over time. its has in many cases habitual practices (getting gear regularly, regular usage patterns) over time reinforced by for example irritability and boredom in some cases, inability to sleep in others upon withdrawl.

Its a highly individualistic model that in alot of cases might not even be able to be labelled 'addiction'.
  • Options
    I've found whenever i don't smoke some days i get very vivid dreams that night, don't find it more difficult to get to sleep at night though, it's just your stoned and sleeping is so easy and content to do.

What is it though with vivid dreams? i've heard of alot people getting this whenever they don't have a smoke if they are regular users.
  • Options
    its well documented but not fully understood i dont think.
  • Options
    Maybe it's the cannabis clouds your mind whenever you go to sleep...can't think of anything due to the amount of cannabis present in your system? I've always found that though whenever i don't have a smoke the dreams are really real, so real it can be scary, dreams that make no sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    i think all we can reasonably infer is that it may be part of an adaptation period the brain has when it has been so long with a psychoactive substance during the Sleep and dreaming process.
  • Options
    Yea that sounds more promising.