Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Binge drinking in the UK..

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Spliffie wrote:
    help those with mental health problems.

Perhaps the BBC should report on the shite quality 'hash' (cut with glue, tranquilisers, boot polish and horse shit) millions of people are being forced to smoke because of prohibition.

Forced?

Don't you mean choose?

i think you do..............
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Price increases probably wouldnt make a huge impact, unless it was quite steep increases.

Personally I'd just like to see all 'happy hours' and other promo's banned.

And more than anything we need to enforce the laws we have.

It is illegal for a publican to serve someone who is visibly intoxicated, if that was enforced more we wouldnt have the problems.

The line of argument about happy hours etc is complete bollocks in my opinion, as much of the justification for both sides in this debate.

I am probahbly a person who could be described as a binge-drinbker, I have never got pissed at a happy hour, or rusheed to drink-up for 11, or been to an ally uo can drink night, what these people are talking about is specific only to certain people and areas etc

May i suggest a major cause of binge-drinking is that in the Uk we work more hours than anywhere else on the continent plus have the largest student populations.........
  • Options
    I remember whenever i was over in a pub in London drinking and it was coming near 11pm, the bar men came over and told us to leave as the pub was now closing, i couldn't believe it, it was only 11o'clock, over here we'r used to leaving a pub at 1.30-2 and to be thrown out at 11 was a bit of a shock.

Round here clubs will close at 2am, i wish there was a local place round here that would stay open till 6 or 7am, i know there are events about that do this but it'd be great if most, if not all, stayed open this late.

See that's what we want there mroll, lots of ganga going around the pubs, there is some level of toking in pubs and clubs but not everyone is blantly smoking a joint, there might be the odd person in the corner having a smoke off a spliff but i'm sure it was nothing like back in those days.

I'm sure he meant choosen to smoke shitty soapbar hash, actually to be honest i don't mind it, it does the job and dosen't cost as much as pollen or some other stronger type of weed or hash.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Forced?

Don't you mean choose?

i think you do..............

I think I don't :wave: .

Forced through lack of choice...if people are going to smoke weed, they're often forced to buy soapbar... because of prohibition.

You got any real arguments, or just nit-picking? :p
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I think I don't :wave: .

Forced through lack of choice...if people are going to smoke weed, they're often forced to buy soapbar... because of prohibition.

You got any real arguments, or just nit-picking? :p
    his argument is valid, as you are not forced to smoke weed
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    The line of argument about happy hours etc is complete bollocks in my opinion, as much of the justification for both sides in this debate.

I am probahbly a person who could be described as a binge-drinbker, I have never got pissed at a happy hour, or rusheed to drink-up for 11, or been to an ally uo can drink night, what these people are talking about is specific only to certain people and areas etc

May i suggest a major cause of binge-drinking is that in the Uk we work more hours than anywhere else on the continent plus have the largest student populations.........

less than half of the population go to university ever
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    his argument is valid, as you are not forced to smoke weed

But if you are going to smoke weed, you may be forced to smoke something heavily polluted.

Anyway it's irrelevent to anything being discussed.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    I remember whenever i was over in a pub in London drinking and it was coming near 11pm, the bar men came over and told us to leave as the pub was now closing, i couldn't believe it, it was only 11o'clock, over here we'r used to leaving a pub at 1.30-2 and to be thrown out at 11 was a bit of a shock.

Round here clubs will close at 2am, i wish there was a local place round here that would stay open till 6 or 7am, i know there are events about that do this but it'd be great if most, if not all, stayed open this late.

See that's what we want there mroll, lots of ganga going around the pubs, there is some level of toking in pubs and clubs but not everyone is blantly smoking a joint, there might be the odd person in the corner having a smoke off a spliff but i'm sure it was nothing like back in those days.

I'm sure he meant choosen to smoke shitty soapbar hash, actually to be honest i don't mind it, it does the job and dosen't cost as much as pollen or some other stronger type of weed or hash.

The high you get off average soapbar doesn't compare to real weed though...you can sit and smoke 20 joints and soapbar and not feel tripped out at all...smoke 1 joint of grass and you'll be flying.

Then combine that with the contents, glue, boot polish...

Scandalous really that people are forced to smoke this shit if they choose to smoke dope.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    The high you get off average soapbar doesn't compare to real weed though...you can sit and smoke 20 joints and soapbar and not feel tripped out at all...smoke 1 joint of grass and you'll be flying.

QUOTE]

I know, i can get weed round here, i just don't buy it all the time, soap is cheaper and better for your average night out, i like pollen though, it's around regularly enough now, if i lived over in london where i was before i'd be smoke weed all the time, £20 an 1/8th for the stuff i smoked over there and it was completly different than soapbar, i know that but you know soapbar is just about alot more than weed over here.
  • Options
    been in manchester for the day ...some very very nice grass there.
    i think it's avering 90 quid an ounce.
    seems to be plenty about.
  • Options
    been in manchester for the day ...some very very nice grass there.
    i think it's avering 90 quid an ounce.
    seems to be plenty about.

thats good for grass, they'll charge you way more for that over here cos it's not about as much, saying that, soapbar is pretty cheap, £200-250 for a bar but it's not worth its weight in gold at the same time
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    How would it make them think twice? people aren't thinking straight whenever they'r drunk and being in a policecell for a few nights isn't going to stop someone going out and getting drunk again and whenever they'r drunk again they'r hardly going to think " oh wait, i was in a police cell last weekend for a few nights, i can't hit that w a nker over there for feeling my girlfriend up", it dosen't work like that whowhere.

People are still going to go out, get clean full, start fights, wreck the place and then go home again.

All this talking of binge drinking and all that really does my loaf in, it's a pointless argument that gets nowhere every single time it's discussed.

Sure i read in the paper the other day that 80% of pubs are not going to apply for the 24 hour licence. Shame really.

It isn't about making them think twice once they've got drunk, it's about making them think twice BEFORE they get drunk.
    The possibility of a couple of nights in a cell and a fine at the end of it will hopefully reduce the huge amounts of violent disorder in a city during the evening.
    Why is all this talk of binge drinking a pointless argument? If preventing people from getting blind drunk will reduce the numbers of rapes, assaults, criminal damages e.t.c. then I'm all for it