Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Binge drinking in the UK..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well on the UK mainland anyway ..you guys are lucky to have these privledges,
In N.Ireland we dont ever see any "2 for the price of 1" or "drink all you can for 15 quid" (dont have pound sign) 2.30 for a pint on average around here anywhere

Comments

• Options
    So you telling me drinks are really expensive in N,Ireland, OH NO!
    What about in southern Ireland? Im going to dundalk in March for the first time ( my dads family live there ) are drinks going to be really expensive?
    As I could be known as a bit of a binge drinker my self!!! :love:
  • Options
    £1.40 to £2.00 a pint ...real ale.
    do you still ahve the binge drinking puking fighting broken Aand E NIGHTS?
  • Options
    £1.40 to £2.00 a pint ...real ale.
    do you still ahve the binge drinking puking fighting broken Aand E NIGHTS?
    I've worked behind a few busy bars.... Binge drinking is huge in my town, people puking, pissing everywhere... women with bleeding noses after their fella has hit them, people falling over. Class.
  • Options
    legalise drugs.
  • Options
    legalise drugs.
    So everyone's too stoned to fight?
  • Options
    way to go but lets be realy honest here ...being stoned as people call it ...usualy results in laughter and joy ...even love.
    deep thought and conversations of meaningless depth ...it is far more intelectual than alcohol in its effect.
    it's not thast people are to stoned to want to fight ...more they find no reason to do so.
    hey ...they even know their names and addresses!
  • Options
    Well on the UK mainland anyway ..you guys are lucky to have these privledges,
    In N.Ireland we dont ever see any "2 for the price of 1" or "drink all you can for 15 quid" (dont have pound sign) 2.30 for a pint on average around here anywhere

fuck off conal, a bottle of buckoie is £5, thats all ya need, i know wat u mean though, fuck i'm pissed
  • Options
    drinking and smoking is bad for your health LOLSZ.
  • Options
    Dan Brown wrote:
    drinking and smoking are bad for your health LOLSZ.

Surely you meant?

At any rate, drinking in moderation has been shown to improve your general health.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    At any rate, drinking in moderation has been shown to improve your general health.

How many people really drink in moderation then? I think you'll find that alcohol's negative effects on society far out weigh it's positive effects.
    There are over 30,000 alcohol related deaths evey year, but that's ok because it's easilly taxable and most people drink it - and most don't consider it a dangerous drug. Certainly not as bad as those illegal drugs.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Just a thought that may not be valid, but they've found that there's binge drinking among people in NYC too. Here's the thought: is it cause people in cities have little time to party so when they do, being aggressive - go-getters- they party too much? Or is it cause they need to party cause of the pressure of the kinds of jobs people work in cities?
  • Options
    Binge drinking has been a problem since time immemorial. It's just that more people can afford to do it more often nowadays.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    How many people really drink in moderation then? I think you'll find that alcohol's negative effects on society far out weigh it's positive effects.
    There are over 30,000 alcohol related deaths evey year, but that's ok because it's easilly taxable and most people drink it - and most don't consider it a dangerous drug. Certainly not as bad as those illegal drugs.
    True, but the positive effects can't be ruled out. We can't ban smoking because people enjoy it, even though there are no positive effects. Therefore we clearly can't ban drinking, because people enjoy it, and there are some positive effects.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    True, but the positive effects can't be ruled out. We can't ban smoking because people enjoy it, even though there are no positive effects.

I was talking about illegal drugs not smoking.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Therefore we clearly can't ban drinking, because people enjoy it, and there are some positive effects.

The same could easilly be said about many drugs, namely cannabis.
    Some positive effects when drunk in moderation - but most people don't drink in moderation.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Sorry, didn't spot your illegal drugs comment. However
  • Options
  • Options
    You don't need to be a quantum physicist to realise pyschedelic drugs aren't going to help those with mental health problems.

Perhaps the BBC should report on the shite quality 'hash' (cut with glue, tranquilisers, boot polish and horse shit) millions of people are being forced to smoke because of prohibition.

That story is irrelevent anyway, people smoke weed whether its illegal or not. Look at Holland - the Dutch smoke less dope than the UK or the USA per % of population.

No point in another drugs debate anyway...it's a one-way street.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

and alcohol is fine and dandy yea? all drugs, even most prescribed drugs have negative side effects, those lines of arguments are futile in all honesty.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    from your however link ...in case anyone is misled ...

Most medical experts agree that smoking cannabis in itself does not cause mental illness, but that people who are predisposed to psychosis are much more likely to develop symptoms if they use the drug regularly.

"We have known for years that using cannabis makes the symptoms of schizophrenia far worse in people who already have the illness."
  • Options
    Dan Brown wrote:
    drinking and smoking is bad for your health LOLSZ.
    but life is what kills you in the end ...
  • Options
    I know, really wish there were them offers on drinks here all the time.

Fiend, you really don't have a clue, alcohol is one of the worst drugs of all but it's not a 'drug', it's only drink and it's legal and everyone loves it. Ah fuck off all you little anti dope smoking people...come on you can't see how the sides of alcohol are bad? worse than illegal drugs?yes they are...oh people steal for their illegal drug habits..is that going to be your main line of argument? people steal for alcohol too you know.

Maybe i'm talking a load of codshit there but my heads a bit mashed, haven't sleep properly since thursday night, i'm off to my bed.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    Maybe i'm talking a load of codshit there but my heads a bit mashed, haven't sleep properly since thursday night, i'm off to my bed.

what do ya want a blue peter badge or something, i know what ya mean though
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    what do ya want a blue peter badge or something, i know what ya mean though

No not one, I WANT THEM ALL!
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    No not one, I WANT THEM ALL!

aye go ta bed r fella will ya!
  • Options
    Price increases probably wouldnt make a huge impact, unless it was quite steep increases.

Personally I'd just like to see all 'happy hours' and other promo's banned.

And more than anything we need to enforce the laws we have.

It is illegal for a publican to serve someone who is visibly intoxicated, if that was enforced more we wouldnt have the problems.
  • Options
    I hate binge drinking, people pissing in the streets, causing criminal damage, picking fights with each other.
    I think they should spend 3 nights in the cells as opposed to 1, with a fine at the end of it. It'll make em think twice.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote:
    I think they should spend 3 nights in the cells as opposed to 1, with a fine at the end of it. It'll make em think twice.

And who would pay for these cells, and where would they be?

The prisons are already working at about 10% over capacity.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote:
    I hate binge drinking, people pissing in the streets, causing criminal damage, picking fights with each other.

How would it make them think twice? people aren't thinking straight whenever they'r drunk and being in a policecell for a few nights isn't going to stop someone going out and getting drunk again and whenever they'r drunk again they'r hardly going to think " oh wait, i was in a police cell last weekend for a few nights, i can't hit that w a nker over there for feeling my girlfriend up", it dosen't work like that whowhere.

People are still going to go out, get clean full, start fights, wreck the place and then go home again.

All this talking of binge drinking and all that really does my loaf in, it's a pointless argument that gets nowhere every single time it's discussed.

Sure i read in the paper the other day that 80% of pubs are not going to apply for the 24 hour licence. Shame really.
  • Options
    Well I'd be bloody surprised if ANY pub in the UK applied for and gained a 24 hour licence, there just isnt the demand.

I suspect quite a few pubs will close at midnight rather than 11 and some clubs will close later.

Though most of the clubs in the south dont close till 6 or 7am now.
  • Options
    my teenage drinking was mostly done in illegal west indian clubs and bars ...no liecenses to worry about. they would open as the pubs closed ...lot of ganja available ...there simply wasn't this level of violence and destruction.
    people woiuld be wandering from illegal bar to illegal bar till around 6am.
    but the attitude of most people those days was live and let live ...love joy peace.