Looking for support for self harm? This community is a safe space to talk with others who have similar experiences, whilst you may also want to check out our content which has lots of information on things you can do to help your recovery.
Head over to this thread to submit a song for our February 'Love' playlist that we'll be putting on Spotify!

Filling out the UCAS application

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nope. Read it too the other day.

Thanks for the concern. Really nice of you to be so conciderate :)
    Erm, what do Edinburg mean by calling their degree an MA? I am sure I applied for undergraduate studies and not a master.
    Eek I got all this UCAS stuff to come next yr.

I'm not 100% sure about that MA thing at Edinburgh but I think the system works differently in Scotland. My brothers at a Scottish uni and he's an undergrad but it's called an MA, whereas in England I think it's called a BA. I think degrees are a year longer in Scotland too, might be something to do with that too. Anyway good luck with it all!
    Checking the course content it seems as if you're very much right. 4 years, and all of the courses at the undergraduate section were marked as MA's.

Thanks J :)

Btw, where does your brother study? Does he like it?
    Checking the course content it seems as if you're very much right. 4 years, and all of the courses at the undergraduate section were marked as MA's.

Yes. For Arts degrees, Scottish unis only offer a masters (or at least all the ones I looked into did). So you do four years instead of three, and get an MA instead of a BA. It's still equivalent to an MA from an English university, you just don't get the option to stop at BA.

As far as I am aware.
    Lil Laura wrote:
    Yes. For Arts degrees, Scottish unis only offer a masters (or at least all the ones I looked into did). So you do four years instead of three, and get an MA instead of a BA. It's still equivalent to an MA from an English university, you just don't get the option to stop at BA.

As far as I am aware.

Whoa, that's actually pretty cool.
    Btw, where does your brother study? Does he like it?

St. Andrews, he loves it lol. I wouldn't really wanna go there as it's a pretty small town, I want to go in a city I think. But it is nice.