Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Filling out the UCAS application

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nope. Read it too the other day.

Thanks for the concern. Really nice of you to be so conciderate :)
  • Options
    Erm, what do Edinburg mean by calling their degree an MA? I am sure I applied for undergraduate studies and not a master.
  • Options
    Eek I got all this UCAS stuff to come next yr.

I'm not 100% sure about that MA thing at Edinburgh but I think the system works differently in Scotland. My brothers at a Scottish uni and he's an undergrad but it's called an MA, whereas in England I think it's called a BA. I think degrees are a year longer in Scotland too, might be something to do with that too. Anyway good luck with it all!
  • Options
    Checking the course content it seems as if you're very much right. 4 years, and all of the courses at the undergraduate section were marked as MA's.

Thanks J :)

Btw, where does your brother study? Does he like it?
  • Options
    Checking the course content it seems as if you're very much right. 4 years, and all of the courses at the undergraduate section were marked as MA's.

Yes. For Arts degrees, Scottish unis only offer a masters (or at least all the ones I looked into did). So you do four years instead of three, and get an MA instead of a BA. It's still equivalent to an MA from an English university, you just don't get the option to stop at BA.

As far as I am aware.
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    Yes. For Arts degrees, Scottish unis only offer a masters (or at least all the ones I looked into did). So you do four years instead of three, and get an MA instead of a BA. It's still equivalent to an MA from an English university, you just don't get the option to stop at BA.

As far as I am aware.

Whoa, that's actually pretty cool.
  • Options
    Btw, where does your brother study? Does he like it?

St. Andrews, he loves it lol. I wouldn't really wanna go there as it's a pretty small town, I want to go in a city I think. But it is nice.