Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Your first job

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    M&S (food) started few months ago. Still there. Part time as I'm sixth form. Get £4.60/hour, get a bit more when I turn 18 /have been there longer (and will probably stick around there as it's pretty good). Oh and 1.5 when I work Sundays which is nice.

Waitrose seems best supermarket to work at though, my mate gets a bonus thing every year there as it's a partnership & double pay on Sundays.
  • Options
    I was 16 when I got me first job as a part-time Christmas temp, at Claires Accessories. Getting 3.75 an hour.
  • Options
    I got my first proper job working behind the sweets/newspaper/stationary/cigarette counter in a Royal Mail Post Office. I think I got £3 and hour but only did 4 hours a week or something equally pathetic! Left there, then got a job at Tesco (only part time mind, I'm not a full time skivvy).

Before all of this of course, I had numerous paper-rounds.
  • Options
    My first job was helping with mucking out stalls, feeding horses, being a tourist guide at a horse rental, attempting to fix problems in horses as well as helping kids and adults who were taking riding lessons. I didn't however get paid money until I started instructing. The instructing is the most exhausting thing I've ever done, I don't think I'm likely to ever do it again, at least not with kids.

I still reckon being a tourist guide is the best job I've had so far. I didn't really have to talk to them, but I did because I loved hearing what they had to say and got a chance to improve my English while at it. I could also use the time to work better on the horses I rode because I was in charge and could do pretty much whatever I wanted to. :D
  • Options
    relentless wrote:
    I worked in a Joke Shop on Blackpool Promenade, then I worked in the Sex Shop next door for the same boss.

All this at the tender age of 14!

sounds about right round here lol!

my first proper job was at blackpool tower.

But i had saturday jobs in a kids clothes shop and a 4 week summer job in an office before that,