Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Your first job

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
What was your first job?
I'm asking this question partly out of curiousity and partly because I'm applying for one. (Probably left it very late being 20 now, I don't know, is that late?)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Sales Agent for a rental vehicle company. Started in August 2002 and now I'm Part-Time sales manager.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    boots the chemist. i was just about to turn 16. when they had the old uniforms, if you can remember that far back.

i did 3 evenings and a saturday on £2.90 an hour and thought it was the best thing ever. heh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    boots the chemist. i was just about to turn 16. when they had the old uniforms, if you can remember that far back.

i did 3 evenings and a saturday on £2.90 an hour and thought it was the best thing ever. heh.

Haha, I worked for Lloyds Chemist and my uniform was sooo unattractive. Nice white overcoat and a blue tabard (reminds me of the Big Breakfast sketch - woman in a tabard!!). The white overcoat was done up with poppers which would pop open as and when they felt like it. I think I earned £1.53 an hour and I was really chuffed with that, as Stokes across the road only paid £1.27.
  • Options
    I was a lowly till monkey in a shop near me just after I turned 16 and earned £3.20 per hour. I remember I got my first pay packet and promptly went into down where I blew it all on CDs, good times! Loved getting up early every saturday and sunday morning, putting the papers out, selling fags to 10 year olds... etc etc

Had a few other jobs since then, worked my way up the part time employment ladder!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Had a few other jobs since then, worked my way up the part time employment ladder!
    You sound pretty happy with the way it's turned out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    You sound pretty happy with the way it's turned out.

Goddamn right I am man. My first job was basically one that required no previous experience and paid crap, but taught me enough stuff about retail to get a better paying job in a supermarket. This, in turn, gave me more experience to get a job in another better paid job that was also more enjoyable in a mobile phone shop and so on and so on.

Twenty isn't that late to get a job, I know people who won't have a job of any kind until they get a proper job after university. What job did you apply for?
  • Options
    Twenty isn't that late to get a job, I know people who won't have a job of any kind until they get a proper job after university. What job did you apply for?
    I think I need to clarify this. I'm going to give out a few CVs later tomorrow. Chances are I will apply for jobs in retail, as that's pretty much the only sort of work available in this area. Except hard physical work, and jobs at the council. I can't be picky, I know that though. :(
  • Options
    Nice one, good luck with it all, but don't get disappointed if some places don't get back to you. Sometimes it can take a while before you find somewhere looking for people or else it can be just plain bad luck. But best of british!
  • Options
    Nice one, good luck with it all, but don't get disappointed if some places don't get back to you. Sometimes it can take a while before you find somewhere looking for people or else it can be just plain bad luck.
    It's hard to tell in my area. There aren't many jobs, which means there's a lot of competition. Which could pose problems.
  • Options
    try jobcenterplus.gov.uk,its amazing! in answer to the question,my first job was in a shoe shop,but it paid crap,so i'm now working in a bar. bit of advice: local bars/hotels/restraunts are always looking for staff n the pay's reasonable enough,plus tips.
  • Options
    My first job was delivering free newspapers, I was sacked after it was discovered I was just throwing away 100's of them and not bothering to deliver.

Then I got a job in a shop, and that ended badly too.
  • Options
    I worked in a Joke Shop on Blackpool Promenade, then I worked in the Sex Shop next door for the same boss.

All this at the tender age of 14!
  • Options
    Originally posted by *chris'_bitch*
    try jobcenterplus.gov.uk,its amazing!
    I use this website regularly, I find it to be quite good at assistance.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    My first job was in my local chippy, aged 14. When I left, aged 17 I was the supervisor :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    My first job was in my local chippy, aged 14. When I left, aged 17 I was the supervisor :)
    In the context of a chip shop, what does the title of "supervisor" mean you do?
  • Options
    you;ve got a bit more power than the others, and are first point of call for problems. you check that everything's running smoothly, order things etc...

my first job was as a housekeeper in a hotel. then a tescos till tart, and from there i went into office work.

You're going to make yourself known to the local temp agency, yes?
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    You're going to make yourself known to the local temp agency, yes?
    The local temping agency is based in the Bangor area, it'll cost me a fortune to get there, and I could never afford the costs of having to go work there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    :lol::lol::lol:
    :eek2: Did I say something amusing?
  • Options
    Yep.
    :eek2: And which of my comments did you find to be amusing?
  • Options
    Just every excuse you've come out with.
    These are not excuses, these are just issues I have to deal with before I could take the relevant courses of action.
  • Options
    how far away do you live from Bangor - in miles?
    Let me check... I'll tell you in a moment...
    EDITED: Having checked a map, it comes out as roughly 25 miles.
  • Options
    I got my first job when I was 17, in 2003. I was a part time cashier at One-Stop convenience store and earnt £3.60 ph. It was shit. The customer is never right! Then I did various cleaning work, then I was an office administrator until they made me redundant. Now I've left college and I'm a food production operative, on £5 per hour. It's not a brilliant job and I could be doing something a lot better, but it's easy work and for now it will have to do as we just need money.
  • Options
    My first job was a xmas temp with Whsmiths. Working in the stockroom. Doing stuff on the shop floor. Earning £4.00 an hour.
    The customer is never right!

Something i leanr on a course with the link, the customer is not always right but the customer is the customer. Make of that what you will
  • Options
    Originally posted by Richeh
    My first job was a xmas temp with Whsmiths. Working in the stockroom. Doing stuff on the shop floor. Earning £4.00 an hour.

Something i leanr on a course with the link, the customer is not always right but the customer is the customer. Make of that what you will

That is true, but after a 5 hour shift on a busy till you start to think differently...
  • Options
    stacking shelves at £3.25 an hour, i just fucked about upstairs in the stock room and broke things, hated it.
  • Options
    Office junior.
  • Options
    My 1st job is the one that i have now, I got it when i started my a-levels so i would have been 16 and a half.
    Which was/is working for Tesco, when i first started it was £3.85 an hour which i was quite pleased whith, it was like woo-hoo earning money!
    Which went up the longer i stayed there, and after i turned 18 to £5.58 an hour which isn't too amazing seeing as they are not giving me any of the over time i want, well need so i have been looking for a new job :)
  • Options
    My first job was at 15 working in a coffee shop, where I worked for 11 months, starting wage £3.50, ending up and £4.50. I left there to work for Welcome Break at £5.40 per hour, stayed for 8 months, then got a job with The Perfume Shop, where I have been for 1 year and 8 months now, earning £5.23 per hour. All part time while I was at school/sixth form/university.
  • Options
    Summer shop at a school uniform shop. Totally mad, because everyone was coming in to get their new uniforms; we'd have queues out of the door and down the street. The fact that I can't tell the difference between black and navy blue clothing did me absolutely no favours :lol:
  • Options
    My 1st job was teaching english as a foreign language.
    I did that while at the university. Now, I'm working as a product manager at a tour operator.