Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

farmer in scotland gets around scottish fox hunting laws

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The Countryside Agency, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs and all relevant conservation government bodies.

Perhaps some people have other perceptions but to me the countryside means this
    or this

but certainly not this

Who cares what the countryside means to you. You don't live in it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by minimi38
    Who cares what the countryside means to you. You don't live in it.
    i think the cities should be banned ...roads banned ...factories banned ...the death and fucking misery and pain they cause is incalcuble ...then we could have a world like in the pictures aladdin posted.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    this makes no sense at all!
    you seem to think the countryside is some tourist retreat full stop.
    Do I really?

A rosier picture than your hellish and rather distorted views on city life, I hope you'll agree ;)
  • Options
    Do I really?

A rosier picture than your hellish and rather distorted views on city life, I hope you'll agree ;)
    give it up man!
    the death and disease and suffering that your city life inflicts with it's over reliance on natural and human resources should be banned like yesterday!
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Who do you think looks after the Lakes Aladdin? If the fells weren't farmed they'd become barren - the sheep that graze them are part of the natural balance, and there would be no sheep without the farmers. Wasdale is not too far from where I was born and bred, and they do not ride to hunt there - they go by foot.
    I'm not saying that country folk play no role at all, because of course they do.

But I am contesting the argument that simply because they live there, they simply must know best in every ocassion and that opinions of others are worthless.

There are plenty of countryside people who are anti-hunting. How could this be? City infiltrators? 'Fake' countryside folk?

The fact is that many if not most of the claims made by the pro-hunt lobby can be doubted or plain refuted, from the alleged "quick and painless" death foxes suffer to the actual damage foxes cause and how much of a "vermin" they really are.

To dismiss other people's allegations on the basis that they're not from there and thus they couldn't possibly be right is not a terribly mature and justified position. Especially when those who are pro-hunting passionately enjoy their pastime and have strong interests in it.
  • Options
  • Options
    And the whole - 'the countryside belongs to the whole of the UK thing' - could you expand a little more on it please?
    over the last 15 years i have aquired small pieces of land ...for buttons and even for free ...scrubland and swamp ...in other words useless land but ...i have worked it ...added to it ...drained it irrigated it etc ...it is now productive land.
    and it's my fucking land!
    i have a ten acre collection that is still absolutely worthless and guess what ...the council are trying to aquire it from me for landfill ...it has cost me around three grand and i'm looking at picking up a quarter of a million quid for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    next spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    haha top investment.

however people like aladin would rather that quarter mil go to the government? its everyones land eh aladin?
  • Options
    passionately enjoy their pastime
    and here is the truth of the matter ...it has nowt to do with the fox ...just that you cannot comprehend blood sports.
    so what if they enjoy it?
    if you hear of a slaughterman enjoying his work ...are you going to demand it be banned?
  • Options
    haha top investment.

i have all and only road access to all their other land! i have built walls and surfaced an access road ...out of quarry waste that cost me nowt ...so it's looking like i'm quids in.
    there are chickens on the land at the moment and some cheap sheds ...the chickens have to be considered under law but ...they will just go to a pet food manufacturer ...oh how evil i am aye!
  • Options
    it has cost me around three grand and i'm looking at picking up a quarter of a million quid for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    next spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did i ever tell you i love you....... now gimme your money.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    did i ever tell you i love you....... now gimme your money.
    and i love you too but ...everyone who loves me knows i'm a tight bastard!
  • Options
    ...they will just go to a pet food manufacturer ...

Damn you and your evil country ways my image of the countryside is of chickens clucking happily not being grinded up into dog food icon13.gif
  • Options
    Damn you and your evil country ways my image of the countryside is of chickens clucking happily not being grinded up into dog food icon13.gif
    well how the hell do you think supermarkets have row after row of food for fido and pussykins?
  • Options
    and i love you too but ...everyone who loves me knows i'm a tight bastard!

damn, what you gonna do with £250,000, that's gonna set up for life, smoke smoke smoke :D
  • Options
    well how the hell do you think supermarkets have row after row of food for fido and pussykins?
    i was blissfuly ignorant until now :crying:
  • Options
    damn, what you gonna do with £250,000, that's gonna set up for life, smoke smoke smoke :D
    six cans of carlsberg special and a few cherry bees fort missus and then ...i'll be buying some more land!
  • Options
    I never argued such a point.

I don't see how you can justify your anti hunting stance on the fact that some of the people that hunt do it for fun.
    I don't. I justify it on the basis that it is a barbaric practice that causes unnaceptable suffering.

The hunting for fun bit refers to the huntsmen's completely biased and partial position. Had hunting been a rewardless, boring, even frustrating practice I would be more prepared to trust their words on the subject. The fact that they immensely enjoy hunting (and are prepared to go to such disgusting lenghts, such as dropping dead horses on the street and impaling them with placards mounted on wooden stakes, amongst other things) kind of leads one to believe that they simply want to continue hunting because they love it, not because it might bring any benefits to the ecosystem or anything else.

They don't do it as "a service". They do it because they love doing it. And because of that, one has to be skeptical when they argue that the hunt is just an indispensable way of controlling the fox population and managing the countryside.

And the whole - 'the countryside belongs to the whole of the UK thing' - could you expand a little more on it please?
    Simple: everyone is entitled to an opinion on what's right or what's wrong. I've had it with the constant smearing and insults at "city folk"; at the image of 'us and them' the pro-hunt people are pushing; at the "the countryside is OURS, its wildlife belong to us to do as we please with it, and you city folk have no right to stop us, and better stay out of our countryside altogether because you're not welcome here" message some people have been spreading.
  • Options
    six cans of carlsberg special

ack sure why not live the life of a millionaire.
  • Options
    ack sure why not live the life of a millionaire.
    that has never appealed to me ...i'm a string vest big boots kinda bloke who likes getting dirty.
    people who live the life of riley rarely seem happy in my experience ...i moght buy some expensive tyres for my one and a half grand 4x4 though ...
  • Options
    and here is the truth of the matter ...it has nowt to do with the fox ...just that you cannot comprehend blood sports.
    so what if they enjoy it?
    It means that they can hardly be seen as an impartial source when they argue that fox hunting is the right thing to do.

Why should I trust their word that because they live there they know better than us, when they're clearly not speaking from a balanced and reasoaned position but simply protecting their precious hobby?
  • Options
    It means that they can hardly be seen as an impartial source when they argue that fox hunting is the right thing to do.

Why should I trust their word that because they live there they know better than us, when they're clearly not speaking from a balanced and reasoaned position but simply protecting their precious hobby?
    trouble is ...after coming under attack for the last few years some of the well healed who are quite often remarkably thick ...do come out with bullshit to try and fend off their attackers.
    they do the bloodsports crowd no favours at all.
    cock fighting is illegal but still goes on. cockerels are equiped for fighting to the death with big fuck off hooks like razors on their legs ...went to one some years back and bet money ...lost it.
    it didn't appeal to me and neither does fox hunting but ...it does to many people.