Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

farmer in scotland gets around scottish fox hunting laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4083361.stm

he done it as 'pest control' as under scottish law you can get away with it as long as the dogs dont kill the fox, and the fox is shot, so someone thought he was hunting and got him arrested and cleared

so in scotland if you flush out the foxes with 2 hounds, you can shoot them

strangely 30% more foxes have been killed since scotland implemented the ban, and i thought hunting with hounds only was the best way, and what about the job losses :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    you can still hunt and kill foxes here in england and wales ...but not with dogs.
    animals against animals was to horrible but ...machines bullets and poisons are ok in this fucking mad world.
    what chance does the fox have against poison?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    you can still hunt and kill foxes here in england and wales ...but not with dogs.
    animals against animals was to horrible but ...machines bullets and poisons are ok in this fucking mad world.
    what chance does the fox have against poison?

it inst about that, its that usinbg hounds to hunt is the cruelist way, so strangely using dogs to flush them out and then shooting them works better

and all the pro hunt people in scotland were like "oh fox numbers will increase loads" wen theyre obviously wrong
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    it inst about that, its that usinbg hounds to hunt is the cruelist way, so strangely using dogs to flush them out and then shooting them works better

and all the pro hunt people in scotland were like "oh fox numbers will increase loads" wen theyre obviously wrong
    at the end of the day ...foxes are still being hunted and killed ...so what was the point of all this again? because the city people wanted it to be cleaner or something ...
  • Options
    at the end of the day ...foxes are still being hunted and killed ...so what was the point of all this again? because the city people wanted it to be cleaner or something ...

a cleaner kil yes, hurting a fox and chasing it todeath is the cruelty

it was more of a social event than a pest control method, so it was cruel and uneffective
  • Options

it was more of a social event than a pest control method, so it was cruel and uneffective
    but we can still chase them to our hearts content and blow chunks off them ...so what was the point again?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

Yes, now we must use poisons and snares - both lovely deaths.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    i can just see the foxes cursing those igrant fucking city dwellers ...realy.
  • Options
    How many foxes were saved for how many dogs being put down?
  • Options
    Originally posted by minimi38
    no foxes were saved. they have not become a protected speicies. we can still hunt and kill and skin them ...if you shoot at one and only take half it's head away ...it will of course be grateful for the ban on hunting with dogs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by minimi38
    People who are so readily prepared to put healthy dogs down when they no longer have a use for them are clearly heartless cruel bastards who should not be allowed to own animals.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    People who are so readily prepared to put healthy dogs down when they no longer have a use for them are clearly heartless cruel bastards who should not be allowed to own animals.

You mean like the RSPCA?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive

Completely humane.

As anyone who lives in the country and has lost cats to them will tell you :yes:
  • Options
    wrong mate. these are working dogs not pets.
    they have never lived in a house with people and it would be impossible to get them to. they are not house trained and cuddly.
  • Options
    Isn't it then extremely cynical, pointless and barbaric to mass-breed dogs with the sole purporse of using them for the huntsmen's amusement and entertainment, only to kill them when they reach 5-6 years of age because they cannot run as fast as before?

And incidentally, this makes all comparisons with the RSPCA pointless Kermit. I'm not aware of the RSPCA breeding dogs on purpose for fun purposes only to put them down a bit later.
  • Options
    Isn't it then extremely cynical, pointless and barbaric to mass-breed dogs with the sole purporse of using them for the huntsmen's amusement and entertainment, only to kill them when they reach 5-6 years of age because they cannot run as fast as before?

And incidentally, this makes all comparisons with the RSPCA pointless Kermit. I'm not aware of the RSPCA breeding dogs on purpose for fun purposes only to put them down a bit later.
    working animals have always been bred and treated in this manner ...horses bulls etc. it's called life and death. reality. trouble today seems to be the comfy city dweller beleieves life should be all fluffy and gentle ...it isn't and shouldn't be.
  • Options
    racing dogs are bred for entertainment and money ...when they get past it they are put down. should we now ban this pointless sport?
  • Options
    working animals have always been bred and treated in this manner ...horses bulls etc. it's called life and death. reality. trouble today seems to be the comfy city dweller beleieves life should be all fluffy and gentle ...it isn't and shouldn't be.
    Only difference of course is that hunting dogs are not "working" animals- since hunting is not a job or a chore.

Hunting with dogs is a pastime, a nice little entertainment for the participants.

Arguably the single biggest load a bollocks about the pro-hunt lobby is their claims that they're doing it as "a service" or "for the good" of the countryside.

They do it because they fucking enjoy climbing on a horse, chasing a fox and seeing it torn to pieces. No more, no less.
  • Options
    racing dogs are bred for entertainment and money ...when they get past it they are put down. should we now ban this pointless sport?
    Perhaps we should. Or at least force the breeders to pay for retirement homes for the dogs.
  • Options
    Only difference of course is that hunting dogs are not "working" animals- since hunting is not a job or a chore.

Hunting with dogs is a pastime, a nice little entertainment for the participants.

Arguably the single biggest load a bollocks about the pro-hunt lobby is their claims that they're doing it as "a service" or "for the good" of the countryside.

They do it because they fucking enjoy climbing on a horse, chasing a fox and seeing it torn to pieces. No more, no less.
    what about racing dogs ...it's entertainment and money and nothing more?
    the truth is ...no one realy gives a fuck about the fox ...it's simple class politics.
    just saw your above reply ...retirement homes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    we can't even provide decent retirement for many of our people and now you want retirement homes for fucking animals!!!!
    peoples priorities are completely out the window.
  • Options
    Well in that case perhaps we should not do dog racing...

The bottom line is: whereas there has always been a relationship in history between men and working animals, breeding and using them for fun is simply not acceptable.

Dogs and foxes are not ours to kill for fucking pleasure.

And while we're at it, the countryside and its contents don't belong to farmers, residents, huntsmen or any other folk. The countryside does not belong to anyone. I keep getting the impression the pro-hunt lobby would have us believe that "they are the countryside". They're not. The countryside has no owner, other than the nation of Great Britain itself.
  • Options
    So who owns the land they hunt on? HM's govt? Hah!
  • Options
    And while we're at it, the countryside and its contents don't belong to farmers, residents, huntsmen or any other folk. The countryside does not belong to anyone. I keep getting the impression the pro-hunt lobby would have us believe that "they are the countryside". They're not. The countryside has no owner, other than the nation of Great Britain itself.

Who manages it though?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The Countryside Agency, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs and all relevant conservation government bodies.

Perhaps some people have other perceptions but to me the countryside means this
    or this

but certainly not this
  • Options
    The Countryside Agency, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs and all relevant conservation government bodies.

or this

but certainly not this
    so people in the cities and towns don't own and control any property?
    with all respect aladdin ...people like ME ...are looking after and changing and maintaining the countryside.
    the government don't give a toss about the place.
    it's business as usual i'm afraid ...meaning economics run the countryside just like they run your big city ...the way to make money out here is from the land and animals ...i know thats alien to you city people but how the fuck do you think we survive out here ...cos the government agencies and towns folk tell us what we can and cannot do?
  • Options

or this

but certainly not this
    just checked your links which show ...man made boundaries and fences ...man made bulidings ...man as the dominant creature ...but we now have CITY MAN ...who presumes the countryside gets along without us ...or if we are involved at all it is only detrimental ...you haven't got a fucking clue!
  • Options
    or this

The countryside is more than just a pretty view.
    I've grown up working on farms and estates and without them there would be no countryside - and they're managed by the people who have to earn a living from them.

As said before this ban hasn't done the foxed any favours. There are plenty of other ways to kill a fox - most of them even more unpleasant.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    just checked your links which show ...man made boundaries and fences ...man made bulidings ...man as the dominant creature ...but we now have CITY MAN ...who presumes the countryside gets along without us ...or if we are involved at all it is only detrimental ...you haven't got a fucking clue!
    If you think that hunting with dogs has anything to do with "managing" the countryside, I fear it is you who hasn't got much of a clue.
  • Options
    This is another of those debates that goes on and on…

I fail to see why people care about it so much. I know I couldn’t give a toss. I don’t live in the countryside and I have to say I don’t have this urge that some people have in the city to force their own values on countryside folk.

And sure fox hunting isn’t very nice but how many of those that oppose it eat eggs? Most eggs sold in this country are not free range sadly... What about meat? The vast majority of meat is from animals who suffered extremely poor conditions. Only a very small number of people eat organic meat from grass-fed animals treated humanely.

Anyway fox hunting had nothing to do with the animals. If most fox hunters were Labour voters the government would have never put this through...Although I wouldn't put it past them. They want to ban smoking in public places, ban smacking, ban religious jokes, ban fast food ads and if the animal rights wackos have their way horse racing, dog racing, kosher meat and halal meat will also be banned...What ever happened to minding your own business and not interfering in other people's affairs?
  • Options
    If you think that hunting with dogs has anything to do with "managing" the countryside, I fear it is you who hasn't got much of a clue.
    it pays wages in the a countryside desperately short of jobs.
    as does breeding all manner of creatures for all manner of purposes.
    some dog men ...in fact most dog men...won't only loose their job but their home as well.
    you wear leather and eat meat no doubt ...all produced in thecountryside that you seem to think should just be a pretty place!
    the countryside is about blood and toil.
  • Options

this makes no sense at all!
    you seem to think the countryside is some tourist retreat full stop.