Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

british citizenship

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i seem to recall he used these powers in 1975 to dissolve Gough Whitlam's deadlocked government and put Fraser in temporary control until a General Election.
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    it's the army, you do what you're told to do... you have zero say in the matter, you know this before you join unless you're a complete idiot.

you are a faceless killer, told to step up and take a bullet for your country by a guy in a suit sat at home safe and sound.

if you don't want to get shot, don't join the army.

Got to agree, its pointless joining the army if you cant go to war if needed to.
    Bit silly signing up in the first place. your there to do a job and if you cant go to war then dont join the army........end off.
  • Options
    I can see his point though. I had planned to join the army but decided not to (though for totally different reasons). He's willing to go into the balkans as a peace-keeper, defend the nation from whoever you like, invade a country as pre-emptive if it's necessary, but not wanting to go into Iraq because he thinks the war is illegal. He's liable for war crimes, and not only that it's the boys on the front line who have the nightmares and the flashbacks from what they've been told to do.
  • Options
    Before my uncle became an Australian, he was a Petty Officer in the Royal Navy. I believe the Royal Australian Navy promised him a Chief Petty Officer position if he transferred, so he transferred, they didn't give him the position, so he took a dual citizenship and went to Australia. He then spent a few years in the Sydney Police, mostly spent dealing with someone who became a mate, a local criminal and thug called Spiderman, and then moved to the Diplomatic Service, where he was Head of Security at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, Moscow (when the tanks rolled town the road to overthrow Gorbachev - he was left a bullet-proof vest and a .45 on his desk) and Beijing. He's just retired as Head of Security for the Foreign Office building in Canberra. I believe he's entitled to a full UK pension and Australian pension due to his National Service, in addition to a military pension and additional pension from money paid in during his Police and Diplomatic Service years... Is my information on his pensions accurate?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    i seem to recall he used these powers in 1975 to dissolve George Whitlam's deadlocked government and put Fraser in temporary control until a General Election.

Ahh, the consitutional crisis of '75.... and it was Gough Whitlam.

This was done because the government was running out of money because the upper house blocked a bill to approve the budget going through. They offered to pass the bill under the condition that the lower house was dissolved, which Whitlam ignored. Pretty extraordinary circumstances. Again, Wikipedia has more...
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    I believe he's entitled to a full UK pension and Australian pension due to his National Service, in addition to a military pension and additional pension from money paid in during his Police and Diplomatic Service years... Is my information on his pensions accurate?

Probably correct. My parents have a friend who was in the British navy, then in the court services in Australia, and he recieves a pension from both.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Probably correct. My parents have a friend who was in the British navy, then in the court services in Australia, and he recieves a pension from both.

Aren't military pensions after a certain number of years of service given as if you've been doing the job all your life? True half-pay?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I can see his point though. I had planned to join the army but decided not to (though for totally different reasons). He's willing to go into the balkans as a peace-keeper, defend the nation from whoever you like, invade a country as pre-emptive if it's necessary, but not wanting to go into Iraq because he thinks the war is illegal. He's liable for war crimes, and not only that it's the boys on the front line who have the nightmares and the flashbacks from what they've been told to do.
    Exactly, thank you. He probably went to the army to do good, and he was just commanded to do wrong. Some people prefer being people than tools, so he said no.