Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

british citizenship

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i don't really consider this debate or politics, just a general query, which is why i've located it here.

when one becomes an australian citizen, one has to agree to abide by the laws of the land, and most interestingly, defend australia should the need arise. does this occur with british citizenship? if there's a call to arms to defend the nation, would all new british citizens be obligated to fight for britain? and does this apply to the rest of us, because we haven't actually agreed to be british citizens, it has just been imposed on us at birth?

Comments

• Options
    If you become a resident citizen of any country it is the same.

I have an Aussie passport, and don't have to do any of that, but then I was born Aussie.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If you become a resident citizen of any country it is the same.

I have an Aussie passport, and don't have to do any of that, but then I was born Aussie.

are we actually obligated to go to war if the government wish us to? as british citizens by birth?
  • Options
    No, it's not illegal, anymore, to be a conscientious objector, I don't think.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    are we actually obligated to go to war if the government wish us to? as british citizens by birth?

If you live in that country, then yes. All it would take is an Act of Parliament.

It's no different in Oz.
  • Options
    er, nevermind then
  • Options
    If you live in that country, then yes. All it would take is an Act of Parliament.

It's no different in Oz.

i think its illegal not to vote in oz tho
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I read in a paper the other day about one of our soldiers who is in prison for 3 years because he didn't want to go to Iraq to fight against the Iraqis when he was asked...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    i think its illegal not to vote in oz tho

yep, it is.

although they ahve a "none of the above" option, and the voting system is STV rather than FPTP.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    I read in a paper the other day about one of our soldiers who is in prison for 3 years because he didn't want to go to Iraq to fight against the Iraqis when he was asked...

Military law is different- if you are in the military, and you don't do as you're told, then you get jailed for it.

If he was a civilian it'd have been different.
  • Options

It's no different in Oz.

but surely you have the right to be a conchy?
    isn't that protected by geneva?
  • Options

See I read that if you go through the correct channels they can't imprison you for doing that, not without this act of parliament that Kermit's mentioned at any rate.
  • Options
    yep, it is.

although they ahve a "none of the above" option, and the voting system is STV rather than FPTP.

id rather something like this came in in britain, of course it would never happen, the government choosing a system against the one that elected them
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    id rather something like this came in in britain, of course it would never happen, the government choosing a system against the one that elected them

which is the dilemma for the liberal democrats - they need to change the system to get elected, but they need to get elected to change the system...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    See I read that if you go through the correct channels they can't imprison you for doing that, not without this act of parliament that Kermit's mentioned at any rate.
    It probably works different here. I just thought it was relevant.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    although they ahve a "none of the above" option

Since when? I must have missed that box the last time I voted....
  • Options
    In oz-land I think LadyJade
  • Options
    In oz-land I think LadyJade

I know that Fiend, I can still vote in oz land as well as the uk....
    I have only ever heard of a donkey vote, where you spoil your paper by ticking none or all of the boxes and invalidating it. I think it is one of the major flaws of the Australian system, making it compulsory to vote but not giving you the choice to not make a choice. Unless the law has changed, in which case I would be pleased.
  • Options
    I didn't know you were also part austrailian. Are you allowed to vote in both countries at the same time?
  • Options
    Don't see why not, I'm a citizen of both countries...Although I think if I haven't lived in Australia by the time my overseas voter registration is due for renewal I may have trouble voting there again...
  • Options
    oh, do you think that compulsory voting is a good idea then?
  • Options

if he wasn't prepared to go to war then why did he join the army? what did he think it was for?!

they don't sit around baking cakes all day.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I do because I think people take their voting obligations more seriously and are less likely to opt out through sheer laziness or ignorance. But as I said, I think you should have the option to say, actually, I think you are all *insert choice insult here* and I don't want to vote for any of you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    if he wasn't prepared to go to war then why did he join the army? what did he think it was for?!

they don't sit around baking cakes all day.

:rolleyes:

It wasn't that he didn't want to fight, but had an objection to the reasons he was going. Which is fair enough. People can vote conservative but think that a particular policy is wank.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    I do because I think people take their voting obligations more seriously and are less likely to opt out through sheer laziness or ignorance. But as I said, I think you should have the option to say, actually, I think you are all *insert choice insult here* and I don't want to vote for any of you.

That'd be nice, apparently in voting the spoiled papers have to be seen by the candidates to agree that they've been spoiled and no vote is counted.
  • Options
    Perfect opportunity to write something incredibly witty and insulting to your least favoured candidate then, if you are that way inclined...
  • Options
    Would love to. but am also inclined to actually vote.
  • Options
    Lady Jade, does the governor general still have the power to dissolve the government and call a general election in Australia?
  • Options
    It wasn't that he didn't want to fight, but had an objection to the reasons he was going. Which is fair enough. People can vote conservative but think that a particular policy is wank.

it's the army, you do what you're told to do... you have zero say in the matter, you know this before you join unless you're a complete idiot.

you are a faceless killer, told to step up and take a bullet for your country by a guy in a suit sat at home safe and sound.

if you don't want to get shot, don't join the army.
  • Options
    on the theme of conscription, we won't have any trouble next time there's a world war. think of all the office workers who have been on team building weekends. we've got a vast sea of humanity who can all build bridges, construct small rafts and operate a paintball gun. as long as we keep control of the Dulux factory we'll be laughing...
  • Options
    Technically dr_carter, I believe the answer is yes, this is part of his reserve powers, although this is a grey area of the constitution, and he would only have the ability to use these powers if there was a complete breakdown of the palimentary system. Wikipedia knows more than I do.