Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

speed compared

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Can I suggest you find some links to support your opinion, rather than saying is is a well-known fact or that it is commonly known? I'm not saying you may not be right, just that they are not valid reasons for saying something is fact. There is a lot of mis-information out there. And in fact, all drugs are metabolised through the liver, so they all affect the liver in a negative way. Just how badly is dependent on how you use/abuse the substance.

Or just how badly is dependent on the substance itself.

I can't be arsed sifting through daft drug websites to find links to support what i've said.

Fact is, there's a reason why people who have money do coke, people who don't do speed.
  • Options
    It has little to do with the price, some people prefer cocaine because of the 'high' that is gives them and the feeling of smuggness that goes with it for some reason.

Others prefer amphetamine.

Personally I've always found cocaine a serious waste of money.

And as for the relative harm, amphetamine MAY be harder on the liver, but cocaine is far more likely to give you a heart attack. Each drug has relative risks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    It has little to do with the price, some people prefer cocaine because of the 'high' that is gives them and the feeling of smuggness that goes with it for some reason.

Others prefer amphetamine.

Personally I've always found cocaine a serious waste of money.

And as for the relative harm, amphetamine MAY be harder on the liver, but cocaine is far more likely to give you a heart attack. Each drug has relative risks.

Exactly, so there's no point in demonising one and favouring the other because you so-happen to prefer speed.
  • Options
    Yes, but there isnt a big rise in the number of amphetamine users and most amphet users believe it to be dangerous. Many cocaine users do not think cocaine comes with dangers.

And, I dont think anyone was suggesting that a user moves from one drug to another. Feel free to quote us if you think otherwise.
  • Options
    Yes, but there isnt a big rise in the number of amphetamine users and most amphet users believe it to be dangerous. Many cocaine users do not think cocaine comes with dangers.

Yes, but if amphet users are still using it, then knowing it's dangerous doesn't make them any more safe. Whatever drug you are taking, a set of risks comes with it. (some are listed in links below)

amphetamines

cocaine
  • Options
    Many cocaine users do not think cocaine comes with dangers.

the quote from my research that 100% backs this up is
    "the only problem with coke is its so fucking expensive"
  • Options
    Certainly, so many cocaine users are really pretty ignorant about the risks.
  • Options
    Certainly, so many cocaine users are really pretty ignorant about the risks.

I think anyone who does cocaine knows the risks, same way that anyone who does ecstasy knows the risks :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Spliffie
    I think anyone who does cocaine knows the risks, same way that anyone who does ecstasy knows the risks :rolleyes:

please tell me your being sarcastic, i've seen people sniff a gram of coke inside 10 mins in their first time of trying it, people taking 4 e's at one go and none of them gave a shit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    please tell me your being sarcastic, i've seen people sniff a gram of coke inside 10 mins in their first time of trying it, people taking 4 e's at one go and none of them gave a shit.

I used to run about sniffing grams of coke for fun, tanning shitloads of magic mushies, and i didn't give a fuck - that doesnt mean i didnt know the risks.
  • Options
    I used to run about sniffing grams of coke for fun, tanning shitloads of magic mushies, and i didn't give a fuck - that doesnt mean i didnt know the risks.

i know loads people that dont know the risks associated with drugs like coke and xtc, sure they might know the basics that people have died from them but they aren't automatically thinking that they might die from heart failure if they sniff this line of coke, the majority of drug users in reality don't know the risks.
  • Options
    Alot of the people who go out to the pubs and discos and take drugs don't come on the internet and talk about them, get to know the dangers risks etc etc, not everyone is on here you know.

Alot of people don't know the real risks with drug abuse. Many people though do know the risks but don't care, continue on and take that risk.
  • Options
    I would say most cocaine users dont know the full risks that go with cocaine, same as most MDMA users probably dont know the full risks that go with that.

Drugs education in this country is awful.

If your suggesting that all cocaine users know the risks your stupid.
  • Options
    I would say most cocaine users dont know the full risks that go with cocaine, same as most MDMA users probably dont know the full risks that go with that.

Drugs education in this country is awful.

If your suggesting that all cocaine users know the risks your stupid.

All the coke users I know are aware of the risks, and that's a pretty broad section of society from people 17/18 up to late 30's from all backgrounds. Similarly all the people i know who take pills know the score - it's pretty hard not to.

Any mentally competent person who does drugs knows the risks - we get it thrown at us throughout our lives through education, the media, the government...it's not possible to go through life not knowing drugs come with some heavy risks.

Poor education can't be totally blamed either. Drugs education might not be completely accurate, but the main risks are covered...although certainly your cirriculum would've been different to mine.

Oh yeah...how about learning some basic grammar before calling others stupid ;)
  • Options
    All the coke users I know are aware of the risks, and that's a pretty broad section of society from people 17/18 up to late 30's from all backgrounds. Similarly all the people i know who take pills know the score - it's pretty hard not to.

which is how many people?

Why not do a statistical power calculation and see if the number of people you know is sufficient to base your hypothesis on and make generalisable statements. I suspect it isn’t.

I am glad that your circle of friends/acquaintances are informed, but it is naive to think that all users are as well informed
  • Options
    No-one on earth knows the full risks of using MDMA, no where near enough research has been done.

And no-one can know the risk of cocaine to them, can you tell if your are geneticly more suseptable to a heart attack or stroke? Hmm I dont think you do do you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    which is how many people?

Why not do a statistical power calculation and see if the number of people you know is sufficient to base your hypothesis on and make generalisable statements. I suspect it isn’t.

I am glad that your circle of friends/acquaintances are informed, but it is naive to think that all users are as well informed

So you're honestly saying you've come across regular coke users who have no idea they're taking an addictive drug which is putting extra strain on their heart? I have to say, I have NEVER come across or even heard of any such person.

I'll repeat again - if you're gonna do drugs the burden of researching the effects and dangers is up to the individual. The dangers are advertised everywhere.
  • Options
    No-one on earth knows the full risks of using MDMA, no where near enough research has been done.

And no-one can know the risk of cocaine to them, can you tell if your are geneticly more suseptable to a heart attack or stroke? Hmm I dont think you do do you.

lol, you've lost the plot pal.

As for not knowing the full risks of mdma, what's the point you're trying to make? That every mdma user is taking it from a position of relative ignorance? When i say they "know the score", they know the basics what is known about mdma.

Well, maybe if you've got a history of heart problems in your family you might have something of an idea, no? And why single cocaine out? Do ecstasy, amphetamines etc not also place additional strain on your heart? Take cocaine and you're putting a big strain on your heart - if you've got genetic susceptibility then even more so - do coke users really need to be told that? It's like telling stoners smoking weed is bad for them:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'm only singling cocaine out because in terms of heart problems it is more likely to cause heart attacks and such than MDMA and amphetamine. This is because of its action on the blood and viens which I have explained. To suggest all users are aware of this action is crasy. But, well if you've never met a user who didnt know exactly what they were taking theres no telling you is there.
  • Options
    There is a big difference between P (Meth) and Speed, we have a huge problem with it over here, its known as P because its "pure" or sold to a point of a gram, genuinly taken by smoking it (in a glass pipe - or if the person is real broke using a lightbulb) or in rarer cases by injecting it. It raises heart rate, awakens a person, can rise with agro somewhat, apperance of being more mentally alert - gives more of a mental rush as apposed to speed which is more body rushes.. these don't last for very long so people tend to keep smoking it, however after the affects have subsided many users find they can't sleep for extended periods, and we all know lack of sleep causes hallucinations and agro... IMO 'P' just keeps you awake, I don't understand the buzz, but one affect its had on clubland is its stopped many people going out because they would rather stay home smoke it and get high.. many people out here use it with GHB/GBL as it takes the edge off and gives them similar body rushes to normal speed.

We have a huge problem with cladistine labs in NZ of people trying to cook up, to the extent that psudo-ephedrine based medicines (cold-flu remedies) now require people to give ID/address details prior to buying - as that is one of the manufactering products - we even have people out here robbing chemists for these products... its terrible!

I never really knew the UK having much of a 'P' problem, you guys are better off without it, its highly addictive (more so than speed or coke) and we know many people who have decended into crime to pay for their habits - my flatmates DJ gear was stolen at his last place by his mate!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Justin Sane

Now that sounds much more like the meth I was thinking of. Here... in a town of 18k, with the surrounding town of a few hundred population, you cannot go a week without reading about another lab bust. As sad as it is, it is a dozen times easier to get meth that it is to get decent weed in this town. I've tried to buy cold medicine and have gotten carded for it. Not only carded, but if you buy over 5 boxes they take down your name and address. I've no idea what actually goes into this stuff but I've heard many things... things I would never even consider using. Cold medicine, Heet... just odd seeming stuff. Though the most common way I've known about is snorting.
  • Options
    Much is made of the nasty chemicals which go into making meth, but nasty things are used to make MDMA and no-one makes a fuss over that.

The ingredients used to make a drug have NO relation to the end chemical, you can use all the nasty bases and acids around and still come off with a stable and PH neutral end chemical.

Meth is a lot more addictive, or so it would seem, the problem lies in its action on the seritonin receptor as well as the usual dopamine and neuroadrenaline which speed does. This can make the high more 'happy' rather than just the physical effect of amphetamine.

As to why its not taken off here, well no one really knows, it is about, only in very small amounts. It has a nasty reputation with most amphetamine users and I'm guessing the cooks who have been make amphet in the past dont want to switch.

All I can say is that I'd avoid it, its one of those drugs thats just too good.