Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

we should eat less meat in west

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Certainly, I would say the growing amount of 'dead ocean' is quite concerning.

That and of course China, they're eating coal and other resources, it was better for the world when they were just starving rice farmers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Certainly, I would say the growing amount of 'dead ocean' is quite concerning.

That and of course China, they're eating coal and other resources, it was better for the world when they were just starving rice farmers.

but not necessarily so great for the starving rice farmers in question.
  • Options
    Well no, there is that.
  • Options
    Well no, there is that.

indeed :chin:
  • Options
    I think we should eat less meat. less poor quality, intensively farmed hormone filled meat that benefits neither man nor beast apart from filling a stomach for a short time.
    I dont eat very much meat because I ensure the meat I buy is organic and free range. If I cant afford that, I dont buy it at all. Id rather go without.
    If everyone went vegetarian, or ate a lot less meat, then there would actually be enough food in the world to feed everyone.
    In general, feeding plants to animals and eating the animals wastes energy, water, pesticides and land. An acre of prime land can produce 40,000 lbs. of potatoes, 30,000 lbs. of carrots, 50,000 lbs. of tomatoes, or 250 lbs. of beef.

More than 70% of the U.S. grain harvest is fed to farmed animals, that is 33% of the entire world’s harvest.
  • Options
    That comparison doesnt really work though because potatos dont give us the same dietary content as meat. And arable land is quite different in most cases from land used for meat.

I do in the main agree with you though, I dread to think of the conditions a lot of animals are kept in. I always try and buy meat from good sources.
  • Options
    Mmm, tasty meat.

Though i can see your point. Potatoes are a great filler, but provide very little actualy nourishment as the vitamin and mineral content is low. I'd probably be in great shape if I had more vegetables and less steak though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    This quote, from the Matrix, is remarkably accurate. How can humans as a species behave in a way that destroys our surrounding environment so completly. Especially now, when we've grown to such large numbers as to be destroying the planet, with no-where else to go.

well its cause we have technology which allowed us to have no real natural predators

and lots of animals overpopulate, its jsut they normally run out of food till they all day, or migrate soemwhere, and get eaten aong the way, you should of saw the thing on wilderbeast last nite, theres herds of hundreds of thousands, that completely dessimate an area, then have to cross the river, most get eaten or they riot and trample eachother to death, so a few are left on other side, then they go back, reprodce and over lfow the land again

remind you of anyone, other than the they get eaten part
  • Options
    That comparison doesnt really work though because potatos dont give us the same dietary content as meat. And arable land is quite different in most cases from land used for meat.

I do in the main agree with you though, I dread to think of the conditions a lot of animals are kept in. I always try and buy meat from good sources.
    no, but we dont actually NEED meat, although it is nutritious, almost anything you can get from meat, you can get from plant sources. Meat isnt a wonder food. Eating meat increases the risk of various health complaints including various bowel cancers, as our colon just isnt designed to cope with the amount of meat we do eat in the west.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Mmm, tasty meat.

Though i can see your point. Potatoes are a great filler, but provide very little actualy nourishment as the vitamin and mineral content is low. I'd probably be in great shape if I had more vegetables and less steak though.
    thats not true, potatoes are very nutritious, especially fresh organic potatos. Of course it depends on how theyre cooked.
    You wont get any goodness at all from a deep fried chip, but a jacket potato is a healthy and filling meal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    thats not true, potatoes are very nutritious, especially fresh organic potatos. Of course it depends on how theyre cooked.
    You wont get any goodness at all from a deep fried chip, but a jacket potato is a healthy and filling meal.

Got to get protein though. There are protein sources elsewhere, but not in the abundance needed. There aren't enough eggs for example to provide enough protein if we all because veggies.
  • Options
    its a myth that we need soooo much protein though.
    here is a link about protein in a vegetarian diet.

By the way, im not saying that everyone should become vegetarian. Im a meat eater myself, but I was a vegetarian for many years. It is perfectly healthy to not eat meat. Eating meat is a choice, its not necessary for a healthy lifestyle, in fact it can increase health problems. Most meat eaters in the west arent going to be eating decent healthy cuts of meat. Most meat consumed is likely to be heavily processed, mechanically reclaimed, intensively farmed meat products. Any health benefits to eating that is going to be negligable.
  • Options
    its a myth that we need soooo much protein though.
    here is a link about protein in a vegetarian diet.

By the way, im not saying that everyone should become vegetarian. Im a meat eater myself, but I was a vegetarian for many years. It is perfectly healthy to not eat meat. Eating meat is a choice, its not necessary for a healthy lifestyle, in fact it can increase health problems. Most meat eaters in the west arent going to be eating decent healthy cuts of meat. Most meat consumed is likely to be heavily processed, mechanically reclaimed, intensively farmed meat products. Any health benefits to eating that is going to be negligable.

I love meat, but try to eat the good stuff. If I eat pie, i get steak pie, not minced beef. If I eat sausage, it's from a butcher, and a named animal. If I get mince, it's steak mince, best quality.

I think vegetables are mank, I should really try to find a way of cooking them that means they taste like something other than dodgy and salty water.
  • Options
    I think youre trying to justify your dislike of vegetables by saying that its healthier to eat a lot of meat.
    Youre eating only meat because its the only thing you like. If you think its healthy to eat like that then youre kidding yourself.
    Its your life though, Its definitely better if you eat good cuts, and preferably organic/free range for maximum health and environmental benefits.
    damage limitation and all that :)
  • Options
    I think youre trying to justify your dislike of vegetables by saying that its healthier to eat a lot of meat.
    Youre eating only meat because its the only thing you like. If you think its healthy to eat like that then youre kidding yourself.
    Its your life though, Its definitely better if you eat good cuts, and preferably organic/free range for maximum health and environmental benefits.
    damage limitation and all that :)

Actually, if you look at earlier posts you'll see that i said I'd probably be in great shape if I ate more vegetables.

I love meat, it doesn't mean my diet is particularly good for me, I just do enough excercise to keep the weight of. I may not be in great shape, but I'm in good shape. It's never going to be healthy to eat just meat. Any suggestions on tasty vegetable things? or things that can contain veggies that don't taste crap. Like some kind of stir fry maybe?

I dislike free range on the basis that you don't really know what they've been eating though.
  • Options
    theyre only likely to have been either eating the food that the farmers feed them, same as any farm animal, or stuff that theyve found, that would be part of their natural diet in the wild.
    Its not as if with factory farmed meat, you get a full list of the animals diet before slaughter.
  • Options
    theyre only likely to have been either eating the food that the farmers feed them, same as any farm animal, or stuff that theyve found, that would be part of their natural diet in the wild.
    Its not as if with factory farmed meat, you get a full list of the animals diet before slaughter.

Which is kind of minging quite frankly. You ever driven past one of those battery places? They smell abhorent.
  • Options
    at least with organic, you know the food they are fed on is organic too.
  • Options
    We may not need meat, but it's meat eating which gave us intelligence all those millions of years ago! :cool:
    ting meat increases the risk of various health complaints including various bowel cancers, as our colon just isnt designed to cope with the amount of meat we do eat in the west

Humans are omnivorous though. It's our natural state to eat meat and plant based foods. Is there any evidence as to how people in the West eat more meat than elsewhere (to my knowlegde there is no culture that is completely vegetarian)!
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    Humans are omnivorous though. It's our natural state to eat meat and plant based foods. Is there any evidence as to how people in the West eat more meat than elsewhere (to my knowlegde there is no culture that is completely vegetarian)!

Raising meat is an expensive business, it would be implicate that the west can afford to raise, and therefore eat more meat than third world countries. Also culturally, having more meat on the table is a sign of wealth.

There's a link to the story that we'll run out of water if we continue on our current trend at the beginning of the thread, that probably has some suggestions/evidence for the West eating more meat than elsewhere.