Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

we should eat less meat in west

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
according to this report

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3559542.stm

is it not the west's fault that our countries get more regular rainfall and better soil than those in africa etc

surely the big problem isnt production of food, but distribution! noonoe ever addresses this do they

people in poor countries should grow food to keep them fed first, then cash crops afterwards with the surplus land, not the other way round

Comments

• Options
    Re: we should eat less meat in west
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo

people in poor countries should grow food to keep them fed first, then cash crops afterwards with the surplus land, not the other way round

Perhaps, but they need the money to run hospitals and schools. Following corrupted government policy.

If I remember the report correctly it was concerned about the trend toward more meat, rather than we get more rain here than there.
  • Options
    i know they talk about meat, bt i seriously dont see more eat being eaten these days, in fact i tend to see opposite, cause like the 'meat' in junk food could hardly be called meat anyway

the thing about water and soil in my opinion is what i thinkis why we also have had regular food supplies for the past few hundred years

the problem is distribution of resources not lack of them
  • Options
    i know they talk about meat, bt i seriously dont see more eat being eaten these days, in fact i tend to see opposite, cause like the 'meat' in junk food could hardly be called meat anyway

the thing about water and soil in my opinion is what i thinkis why we also have had regular food supplies for the past few hundred years

the problem is distribution of resources not lack of them

Actually, in the history of things (which i will gloss over because it will take ages to go through it all) meat is expensive, and until recently ie, last 50, 100, 200 years was a treat that was only had on a sunday, or a couple of times a week. Potatoes, bread, meat dripping and vegetables were more likely to be on a persons plate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    /tangent

I'm more concerned about the ammount of fish we eat. This seems to be of a much greater level of importance.

Why? potential mercury levels in tuna? Or that we're fishing an abundant species like cod to extinction?
  • Options
    the fishing factor and the fact most species of fish are on verge of extinction yet fishing towns are like "itll kill our town" when if they continue itll make them lose their trade permently
  • Options
    the fishing factor and the fact most species of fish are on verge of extinction yet fishing towns are like "itll kill our town" when if they continue itll make them lose their trade permently

Between a rock and a hard place
  • Options
    not really in my opinion fishing quotas should be cut to all countries, and the waters should be enforced to stop poachers
  • Options
    not really in my opinion fishing quotas should be cut to all countries, and the waters should be enforced to stop poachers

How do you patrol international waters? Who's responsibility is it?
  • Options
    well how does the EU impose its current quota then :confused:
  • Options

I don't know, do they count the fish that is poached?

Watch out, cynic alert, bed time after the fast show.
  • Options

It controls landing. If they fish too many, they ahve to be slung back to sea. Where they die.

Fishermen are self-interested, self-serving vermin anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It controls landing. If they fish too many, they ahve to be slung back to sea. Where they die.

Well that makes loads of sense.
  • Options
    grass-fed-beef-ny-strip-lg.jpg

yum
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Well that makes loads of sense.

It does. There's no financial incentive for "accidentally" catching too many fish.
  • Options
    For those of you interested in the grim condition of the fish stocks you should read Cod, it is an excellent book.

Fish is the last wild food we eat and I dont think it will last, most of our fish will be farmed in 15 years.

As for meat, my concern over it is the amount of methane and other gases that they give out. Cows are amoung the biggest poluters of the world.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    For those of you interested in the grim condition of the fish stocks you should read Cod, it is an excellent book.

Fish is the last wild food we eat and I dont think it will last, most of our fish will be farmed in 15 years.

As for meat, my concern over it is the amount of methane and other gases that they give out. Cows are amoung the biggest poluters of the world.

Don't be absurd! The only reason cows are great poluters, if any, is that humans have removed the trees that absorb the impact. Anyway, a single volcanic explosion is more poluting that anything else on the planet, sometimes collectivly for several decades.
  • Options
    Cows produce massive amounts of gas and their rotting extrement produces even more.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well you can do that from the cow pats but you cant exactly put a bag over their arse.
  • Options
  • Options
    Re: we should eat less meat in west

They used to, until Western corporations and trade rules forced them to do otherwise.
  • Options
    Cows produce massive amounts of gas and their rotting extrement produces even more.

Yes, i agree, but it's not like it's a problem that needs to be addressed. Cow's and their wild relatives will be shitting whether we want them to or not. What do you suggest? Extinction?
  • Options
    Its not really comparable with wild animals though is it, its not like you get herds of 10,000 cows in the wild.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well they do flood the fields with extrement to fertilise it.
  • Options
    Its not really comparable with wild animals though is it, its not like you get herds of 10,000 cows in the wild.

There used to be. Before people came along and screwed the ecosystem.

Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure.

This quote, from the Matrix, is remarkably accurate. How can humans as a species behave in a way that destroys our surrounding environment so completly. Especially now, when we've grown to such large numbers as to be destroying the planet, with no-where else to go.
  • Options
    But industrial farming of animals has led to there being far more than there would be in the wild.

Denmark has 10's of millions of pigs for example, very unlikely in the wild.
  • Options
    But industrial farming of animals has led to there being far more than there would be in the wild.

Denmark has 10's of millions of pigs for example, very unlikely in the wild.

but pigs, proportionally, are going to poop less than larger animals that would still exist in great abundance if it weren't for humans

It's not like the pigs are around for very long anyway is it?
  • Options
    I wasnt suggesting that they are the main cause for 'global warming' (a situation which is really far from totally proven).

I was just saying that having billions of cows and sheep farting cant be good for the enviroment.
  • Options
    I wasnt suggesting that they are the main cause for 'global warming' (a situation which is really far from totally proven).

I was just saying that having billions of cows and sheep farting cant be good for the enviroment.

lol, no I suppose not, humans are fairly shitty though