Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's responsible for society's breakdown?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Originally posted by Spliffie
    Because I can accept what human nature is, and get on with it.

The answer to your question, I would say no. People manipulate, scheme and bully for power and status, and sometimes for personal survival.
    Speak for yourself please. Dont try and speak for everyone.
    Theres no such thing as human nature, we are so varied.
    Some people do the things you say, but a lot of people dont, therefore you cant say one is human nature and the other isnt.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Speak for yourself please. Dont try and speak for everyone.
    Theres no such thing as human nature, we are so varied.
    Some people do the things you say, but a lot of people dont, therefore you cant say one is human nature and the other isnt.

It is a generalisation, I assumed you would presume so.

Think about why you would do "good deeds". Why would you be considerate, why would you help someone out...perhaps because it makes you feel better :p

I will concede human nature is varied and the human pysche complicated, but most of the people I know and have met are selfish by nature...as far as i'm concerned, it's instrinsic nature for all organisms...you do what you have to do survive and achieve status.
  • Options
    It is a generalisation, I assumed you would presume so.

It was an inaccurate generalisation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    It was an inaccurate generalisation.

If it's an inaccurate generalisation, why are going on about the need for compassionate, selfless rolemodels?

You half-agreed with me earlier. Talk about arguing for arguing's sake lol.
  • Options
    If it's an inaccurate generalisation, why are going on about the need for compassionate, selfless rolemodels?

You half-agreed with me earlier. Talk about arguing for arguing's sake lol.

Half-agreement is not agreement.

It being an inaccurate generalisation doesn't negate the need for a role model, such as the one previously described.
  • Options
    Half-agreement is not agreement.

It being an inaccurate generalisation doesn't negate the need for a role model, such as the one previously described.

Half agreement is still some kind of agreement.

But the whole point of such a role model would surely be to counter greed etc? If greed, selfishness and manipulation isn't endemic in our society, then there isn't a great need for such a role model. Straight forward logic.
  • Options
    Half agreement is still some kind of agreement.

But the whole point of such a role model would surely be to counter greed etc? If greed, selfishness and manipulation isn't endemic in our society, then there isn't a great need for such a role model. Straight forward logic.

I didn't say there was no example of greed or selfishness in society I just don't agree they are as rife as you suggest.

There will always been the need for a role model, otherwise how are standards maintained?
  • Options
    I didn't say there was no example of greed or selfishness in society I just don't agree they are as rife as you suggest.

There will always been the need for a role model, otherwise how are standards maintained?

Forest Gump standards have never in place for them to be maintained :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forest Gump standards have never in place for them to be maintained :rolleyes:

No, which would suggest we'd need a role model to reach them. Wouldn't it?
  • Options
    No, which would suggest we'd need a role model to reach them. Wouldn't it?

You're beyond belief. As I've said fuck knows how many times before, Forest Gump is a far-fetched, completely fictional story about a man with learning difficulties. As likeable as he is, you're not going to get society to try and emulate him.

People don't follow fictional characters, not outside of a mental instituation anyway.

Anyway, only the weak need role-models.
  • Options
    You're beyond belief. As I've said fuck knows how many times before, Forest Gump is a far-fetched, completely fictional story about a man with learning difficulties. As likeable as he is, you're not going to get society to try and emulate him.

People don't follow fictional characters, not outside of a mental instituation anyway.

Anyway, only the weak need role-models.

Why do only weak people need role-models? You suggest that anyone who has a role-model is instantly weak. If I wanted to follow the example of Mahatma Ghandi I'd been weak. It's a ridiculous statement to make.
  • Options
    care to explain why giving respect to another person and wishing to emulate their goodness is a weakness?
  • Options
    you ask all the people in the world who their role model is, and you will recieve a wide spectrum of weak, powerful, strong and powerless people who all have role models.
  • Options
    What the fuck do you need a role-model for? I've got my own values and personality, I don't need to "shape" myself around someone else.
  • Options
    What the fuck do you need a role-model for? I've got my own values and personality, I don't need to "shape" myself around someone else.

Having a role model doesn't mean you copy everything about that person. I for one have more than just one role model.

In terms of sport I have Paula Radcliffe on the basis she's a long distance runner with asthma

I respect Mahatma Ghandi for his approach to war and the way he protests about it (adopted by Martin Luther King as well)

I respect my best friend because of how hard she works, and if I worked half as hard I'd get a 2:1.

etc etc
  • Options
    Having a role model doesn't mean you copy everything about that person. I for one have more than just one role model.

In terms of sport I have Paula Radcliffe on the basis she's a long distance runner with asthma

I respect Mahatma Ghandi for his approach to war and the way he protests about it (adopted by Martin Luther King as well)

I respect my best friend because of how hard she works, and if I worked half as hard I'd get a 2:1.

etc etc

lol, sweet.

Martin Luther King was an intellectual thief, and engaged in a few activities i'm sure you wouldn't be so approving of...but that's a different matter.

If having role-models makes you happy, then that's good for you, ranting about other people needing them is pure tosh.
  • Options
    lol, sweet.

Martin Luther King was an intellectual thief, and engaged in a few activities i'm sure you wouldn't be so approving of...but that's a different matter.

If having role-models makes you happy, then that's good for you, ranting about other people needing them is pure tosh.

I know what Martin Luther got up to, and I am perfectly aware that everyone else is the same, everyone makes mistakes.

Nelson Mandela was a terrorist, doesn't mean he can't be respected for his stance on black rights, and current opinion on the AIDs crisis.

Other people have them, I think you are rare in your abject denial of your personal need for a role model.
  • Options
    I know what Martin Luther got up to, and I am perfectly aware that everyone else is the same, everyone makes mistakes.

Nelson Mandela was a terrorist, doesn't mean he can't be respected for his stance on black rights, and current opinion on the AIDs crisis.

Other people have them, I think you are rare in your abject denial of your personal need for a role model.

Not really, none of my pals have role-models, i tend to find the ones who have role-models are either holier-than-thou types obsessed with leading a virtuous life of abstience or people very insecure about themselves.
  • Options
    We have very different experiences then.
  • Options
    We have very different experiences then.

I think we're very different people ;)
  • Options
    I think we're very different people ;)

indeed
  • Options
    just because someone doesn't specify that Mr X is their role model, doesn't mean they don't have one. it's someone you greatly respect and wish to emulate in some cases, but that doesnt mean you have to change your personality.
  • Options
    50 years ago all of village life revolved around the church. Weddings, Christenings, Funerals, Fetes and regulars Sunday worship brought communities together.

Nowadays villages have become dormitory settlements. People barely know or talk to their neighbours. How many of you know all the people in your street?

Yes, working patterns have changed, so people living in a village mostly commute to work elsewhere instead of working in the same area, no longer seeing their neighbours at work. However if we all went to church together it would help us to get to know each other.

In the older close-knit communities everyone would have looked out for everyone else. If a kid stole from a shop, the shopkeeper could simply tell the parents. Now, he wouldn't know where to look.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    50 years ago all of village life revolved around the church. Weddings, Christenings, Funerals, Fetes and regulars Sunday worship brought communities together.

Nowadays villages have become dormitory settlements. People barely know or talk to their neighbours. How many of you know all the people in your street?

Yes, working patterns have changed, so people living in a village mostly commute to work elsewhere instead of working in the same area, no longer seeing their neighbours at work. However if we all went to church together it would help us to get to know each other.

In the older close-knit communities everyone would have looked out for everyone else. If a kid stole from a shop, the shopkeeper could simply tell the parents. Now, he wouldn't know where to look.

The church, or whatever depending upon the religion, can provide a necessary centre for community. Whether having faith itself is necessary is a different argument, but certainly if most members of a set neighbourhood got together once a week, would there be better community spirit in general?
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Actually, it's all the fault of the feminist revolution ;)

Obviously, man-hating lesbian dungarees wearers refusing to shave their pits! They are the cause of all our troubles.
  • Options
    It hardly matters. I know what i want in life, following the example of forest gump isn't going to help. People by nature are selfish, arrogant and greedy - it's how the world works.

Then why do people become nurses, firemen or police officers?

I'm not in the police for the money, and people will tell you I'm not in it for a power trip (I'm a CSO, I have hardly any power).
    I do it because I like helping people out with stuff and I can hopefully be relied on in an emergency.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Not entirely true. If you believe in the antichrist (someone who will decieve you into thinking he's the christ) and you don't believe in the real christ then I think I'm right in saying you go to hell.

That is, as i understand it, the christian view, and could probably be applied to other faiths.

In christianity redemption is not earned through good works but through faith, therefore you must believe in and follow christ.

For Judaism you have to have been kosher, Islam probably has similar pre-requistits.