Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

News/self harm,

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    Interesting article. And to be honest if you're that wary of triggering pictures, well don't look at them.

Well I don't normally find pictures like that triggering, and indeed I didn't actually today, but there was no way I could have avoided looking at it when I had customers thrusting it on my till all day. It wasn't exactly a small, easy to miss picture! I agree in general that if you find things like that triggering then you shouldn't look, but that isn't always possible!
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    i agree with you, even if they are using graphic images, what about when they show the pictures of people hurt in war, or poverty stricken kids? that could trigger memories of such things for some people.

taboos like that should be broken, by whichever means. as long as the article wasnt promoting it, which it wasnt, i dont really see the damage. but then again i've never self harmed

totally agree.

life is triggering. you learn to deal with it, or you implode.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    I never read it, do you think it'll be online somewhere,

i posted the fucking thing. it is the first reply you had to this stupid thread :mad:

edited to say sorry for it being harsh but the link is in this thread :|
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    i posted the fucking thing. it is the first reply you had to this stupid thread :mad:

edited to say sorry for it being harsh but the link is in this thread :|

Sorry, i am talking about the one from the daily mail, the one u posted was the indepenenant,
  • Options
    I saw the report on newsround today-thought it was well reported-considering its a kids news show and shouldn't need to be too detailed. I heard it reported on main news and on various radio stations too throughout the day-do you think its good that this is being highlighted then-or not?

I mean they can't show graphic pix on the radio so they can't be attacked for that. As a non self harmer I see it as good as maybe some parents or friends may see the report and think hmm. Probably not but hey?!
  • Options
    I thought the articles and the fact it's being highlighted is good.. but the fucking thing is they keep saying it leads to suicide..:mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    I thought the articles and the fact it's being highlighted is good.. but the fucking thing is they keep saying it leads to suicide..:mad:
    well no offence, but a quick slip with that knife can lead to suicide.

i think it's quite hard for people to understand the reasons why people self harm if it's not to kill themselves, like to some people it may not seem logical or whatnot

hellfire, you keep changing your arguement about what you find wrong with this...
  • Options
    Noticed when they was saying a few facts they said "people that self harm are 100x more likely to commit suicide" how the fuck did they work that one out i wonder?!

What i mean is how did they work it out to being 100x more likely surely they have guessed that figure?
  • Options
    People who self-harm are (usually) severely depressed.

The suicidal are ususally severely depressed.

It doesn't take a genius to work it out:)
  • Options
    can i be controversial? well, i will be anyway.

frankly this news coverage pissed me off. at least the ones i've been watching have. to suggest that one group of mentally ill people should be fast tracked through the system, while other groups still have to deal with the waiting lists and second rate care is shocking.

i'm not deny that people who self harm need help, of couse they do. but so does everyone else.

sometimes i get the feeling that there are a few 'in' mental health conditions (self harm/depression/eating disorders/addictions), and while they get all the press attention, everyone else sits in a corner and is forgotten.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

sometimes i get the feeling that there are a few 'in' mental health conditions (self harm/depression/eating disorders/addictions), and while they get all the press attention, everyone else sits in a corner and is forgotten.
    agree 100% i mean, everyone should get treatment but as it's in the spotlight a lot more than some other conditions, people seem to think its more important
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i'm not deny that people who self harm need help, of couse they do. but so does everyone else.

i agree completely but i think that the point is that people who self harm havent been actually getting the treatment as they dont see it as a "real" illness unlike alot of other mental illnesses. they are just trying to get it recognised as a problem so that the treatment can be improved.

i do see your point though and i understand why people think like that.
    Originally posted by Kaffrin

i get this impression too and it disturbs me actually.
  • Options
    Like anorexia was in the early 1990s, self-harm is a mental condition that is seriously in vogue at the minute.

Personally I don't think SH is that serious, certainly not as serious as many personality disorders that are just forgotten about, but because it looks drastic it gets the pres coverage.

It's better than the mocking that used to surround it, but the balance is still totally wrong.