Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

News/self harm,

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't know if anyone has seen this but on the Independant news paper on the front cover has a picture and main page about teenagers selfharming with a massive picture of a wrist with cuts in,

now yes people should be aware but should they be using such graphic images... seriously, sorry if this is wrong forum..

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
  • Options
    If someone wants to self harm then surely thats their choice.

Not that im promoting it but i think if people use self harm TEMPORARILY to overcome something then go ahead, the problem starts when they get severe or long term.
  • Options
    True but i suppose it is raising the awareness so people know that it does happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    I think what Hellfire is trying to get at is the fact they put a graphic picture of SH on a public paper. It could be triggering for those who suffer.

probably, yes. however, iti s a really interesting story imo which is why i put the link up.
  • Options
    it's shock tactics. makes for a good news story, apparently.

how many pictures of graphically anorexic people do you see in the news? i'll answer that for you: lots. it's horribly triggering for people, but they still do it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    it's shock tactics. makes for a good news story, apparently.

how many pictures of graphically anorexic people do you see in the news? i'll answer that for you: lots. it's horribly triggering for people, but they still do it.

yeah Kaffrin, I agree but it's fucking sick what they're doing.. it's so horrible.. and WRONG
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it should be brought out into the open, discussed and debated. Maybe then people will realise how endemic it is becoming, and just how prevailent depression amongst young people is.
  • Options
    yeah it should brought to the attention of people but with GRAPHIC images... I don't think so:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    yeah it should brought to the attention of people but with GRAPHIC images... I don't think so:(

scare tactics.
  • Options
    and it's fucking sick using them... yes people should be inform.. the article was good but the pictures :no:
  • Options
    I think it's inconsequential how it's brought to light, just so long as it is.

I suppose I'm not too aware of self-harm, in that I know it goes on a lot but I've never been confronted by it. I found that article pretty shocking and a very harrowing read, not only because of the astonishing figures quoted but also the methods they talk of. I mean "drinking acid, removing genitalia" - Seriously? People do this? I'm so glad I read this because I was obviously pig-ignorant about it before (and there I was thinking I was fairly clued-up) and now I know at least a teeny bit more. It's frightening though, it's all very well slapping figures in an article and asking a few professors for opinions...but what are they going to do about it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it should be brought out into the open, discussed and debated. Maybe then people will realise how endemic it is becoming, and just how prevailent depression amongst young people is.
    i agree with you, even if they are using graphic images, what about when they show the pictures of people hurt in war, or poverty stricken kids? that could trigger memories of such things for some people.

taboos like that should be broken, by whichever means. as long as the article wasnt promoting it, which it wasnt, i dont really see the damage. but then again i've never self harmed
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    i agree with you, even if they are using graphic images, what about when they show the pictures of people hurt in war, or poverty stricken kids? that could trigger memories of such things for some people.

taboos like that should be broken, by whichever means. as long as the article wasnt promoting it, which it wasnt, i dont really see the damage. but then again i've never self harmed

i have self harmed and i agree completely with what you have said.
  • Options
    hmm yeah so do I, that point about all the other suffering they show on the news is all too true so why should this case be any different
  • Options
    I do agree with you partly that we should be informed but in my opinion the graphic images are not needed, but it's only an opinion..
  • Options
    yeah but i've never heard you complain about the graphic images they use in poverty striken or war ravaged countries etc... so why should this be any different.

The simple fact is shocking = lots of sales hence they will do it and i will admit that yeah i'm sure it does affect people but in the end it is a good thing to start openly talking about Self Harm and stop it being so taboo to discuss
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    i have self harmed and i agree completely with what you have said.

same here
  • Options
    I do agree with you partly that we should be informed but in my opinion the graphic images are not needed, but it's only an opinion..

Don't view them then. Once you see them, turn away if you think they could trigger self harm.
  • Options
    That is what I did..
  • Options
    That is what I did..

I really fail to see why it bother you so much. Self harmers have contributed to this thread saying it is a good thing and they don't mind. Perhaps there are some people who will be triggered by it but there are people who will br triggered to drink alcohol by seeing it in a shop - do we ban alcohol sales. Similarly someone might see a stroyline in Neighbours where some poor man gets knocked over and it might remind them of when they saw someone get knocked over. My point really is that most things in the world can remind people of unpleasant experiences.

You can't not do or say or print something because of the slight possibility it might have a detrimental effect on someone.
  • Options
    i actually think that this article was quite a good one highlighting the fact that self harm is very common but very much taboo. it is good to know that people are going to start getting the help they deserve and this article is an eye opener to those who do not know alot about the subject as Briggi said earlier.

yes, there are pictures. if it was a report on alcoholism there would be a picture of a bottle of vodka or someone completely rat-arsed on the streets. the picture is also highlighting the fact that it is serious and using scare tactics in order to make people more aware, rather than dismiss it.

i have not read the actual article/seen the picture but i presume it is similar to the online one.
  • Options
    omg i work on the tills at whsmiths and i was working this morning. the first copy of this i sold i was almost sick. i coudln't believe how graphic it was.
    i suppose for me it was weird becasue i knew that everyone i work with would see it and i didn't particularly want them to, although in general i think awareness needs to be raised.
    the article was good, i just got a shock from the picture! It could have been very triggering.
  • Options
    I do get what you mean and the article was good, well written but I just didn't like the scare tatics they used, my own personal opinion..
  • Options
    Oh, quit bleating.

If you're suseptible to triggering you'll be cutting regularly anyway, so what the hell does it matter?

Excuse me whilst I'm less than bothered.

The article, like all mainn pres releases, was unutterable bollocks, by the way. The next person to say self-harm and suicide are the same thing will get a beating from me.
  • Options
    I agree with you there, They did a report on newsround where they said that and I was like.. WTF... thats bullshit
  • Options
    You watch Newsround?

K :yeees:

Tne article was the usual bumph about how horrible and vile the act is, and how these people must be in terrible agnoy. Well, duh. The only decent article I've seen recently was in the Daily Mail about two months ago, and that was decent because it was written by a cutter who is on the NUS.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    You watch Newsround?

K :yeees:

Tne article was the usual bumph about how horrible and vile the act is, and how these people must be in terrible agnoy. Well, duh. The only decent article I've seen recently was in the Daily Mail about two months ago, and that was decent because it was written by a cutter who is on the NUS.

I never read it, do you think it'll be online somewhere,

the problem with reporters writing is they don't know all the facts unless they been there themselfs..

and yes i do watch it:blush:
  • Options
    the problem with reporters writing is they don't know all the facts unless they been there themselfs..

I think that is very true- it looks a lot worse than it really is, I think. People who haven't done it don't get it.

and yes i do watch it:blush:

If you ahve satellite TV at least watch BBC News 24 instead:p
  • Options
    Interesting article. And to be honest if you're that wary of triggering pictures, well don't look at them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I think that is very true- it looks a lot worse than it really is, I think. People who haven't done it don't get it.

Well one thing I agree with you on,

If you ahve satellite TV at least watch BBC News 24 instead:p

and I don't have it:( satelite that is