Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Have you ever cheated?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Miffy
    I don't agree at all. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. And it doesn't just happen. Nobody ever just suddenly found themselves snogging someone else whilst, strangely, mere moments before they were mulling over what to have for dinner, for example. No. What usually happens is that people play flirty little games and at multiple points decide to carry on with what they're doing and to hell with the consequences, even if it does go further than they know it should. People cross the line. That's what happens. Saying it just happens is an excuse people make to justify their own behaviour to themselves and make it seem less wrong.

ETA: Never have and never will. And yes, I DO know this for a fact.

agree. totally agree. it's called self-restraint. and i have some.

i used to be engaged. and then he moved a long way away to uni. i fell for someone else. big time. it would have been SO EASY to cheat then. the guy was up for it, and my ex never would have known. but i didn't. i had more respect for my ex, and for myself. i spent more time with the new guy, just as friends. to see if it was really something, or if i was just being stupid. when i got to the point when i knew it was something more, i left my ex before i even touched him. it's only fair. cause if i was feeling that way about someone else, i couldn't really have loved him anymore.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    I never said it was right to cheat... I explained how it's common to cheat not necessarily to hurt anyone on purpose but coz they couldnt help but have feelings for another person.

I know you didn't say it's right, but at the same time, there's a difference between having feelings for someone and acting on them.

You can't say for certain, that you'll defintely not cheat as you don't know what situation you may be put in say next week, next year or even in 5 years time.
    As I said before yes you'd like to think you won't cheat but you don't know what your future may hold.

Yes, I can. I've already been in the worst relationship situation I'll ever allow myself to be in, with my ex husband. I had opportunities to cheat and, in all honesty, I doubt anyone (except him) would have blamed me, but I didn't because I am in control of my own actions!
    Originally posted by briggi
    Miffy, I think it's said best as - To err is Human, To forgive is Divine. People make mistakes, and I'm sure no one here is boasting about the fact that they've cheated in the past. And I think there are sometimes situations that escalate, ending up with people doing things they never set out to do, and hurting people they'd do anything to protect. It happens, such is life...people grow up, perhaps feel the fall out from cheating themselves, and change their ways.

Yes, that's true. People do end up doing things they didn't set out to do at the outset, but they still decide to do them. Nobody holds a gun to thier heads. Yes, I do believe that some people grow up and change. But there again, many don't.
    So there has never been a point in your life were you couldn't help but fall for someone, that was just something that you planned?!

There have been times when I've "fallen" for other people when I was with my ex husband, but I ignored it and it went away. I didn't flirt with them and I didn't get into compromising situations with them. The one person who it turned out I developed REAL feelings for and not just a crush, I didn't touch with a bargepole for three years until we were BOTH free and single.
    Originally posted by Kaffrin
    agree. totally agree. it's called self-restraint. and i have some.

Yes, it's also called self control, self discipline, decency, scruples, morals and integrity! Not very fashionable words are they? They went out with the "If it feels good, do it" generation. Nice to know there are still some of us relics left though.
    i used to be engaged. and then he moved a long way away to uni. i fell for someone else. big time. it would have been SO EASY to cheat then. the guy was up for it, and my ex never would have known. but i didn't. i had more respect for my ex, and for myself. i spent more time with the new guy, just as friends. to see if it was really something, or if i was just being stupid. when i got to the point when i knew it was something more, i left my ex before i even touched him. it's only fair. cause if i was feeling that way about someone else, i couldn't really have loved him anymore.

And that's the way a decent person does it. There's that word again. Sounds like it's from a 40's black and white, doesn't it.
  • Options
    I'm very impressed with most of you - you all have morals and respect and stuff! 2 years ago I slept with my Uni hall mate whilst she was living with her boyfriend and I had a girlfriend in a different city. It was such a turn on knowing it was wrong and that he may come back at any minute :naughty: and the guy is a fucking wanker so I didn't give a second thought to hurting him. I never told my girlfriend (now ex-girlfriend) and I'm pretty sure she's not told her boyfriend as I've not had some psycho phone me up and shout and cry down the phone. I have no regrets but I am less likely to do the same thing now as I have grown up a little and <B>started</B> to develop morals...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Koenigsegg
    It was such a turn on knowing it was wrong and that he may come back at any minute :naughty:

At least you're honest and don't try to make excuses for it. That's something I guess. Thing is, how old are you? I mean, it's one thing when you're 15, 16, even 18....but it's another altogether if you're still doing it, a serial adulterer when you're like, 40, leaving a string of abandoned wives and damaged,confused children in your wake.

Keep developing those morals, the world needs more people with them.
  • Options
    I think it always depends on the relationship you are already in as well.
    Miffy, you do seem to have more experience than me, so I can't argue with that as for me, I can't bare the thought of being in a serious relationship myself so maybe that's why I can't see it your way. Maybe one day I will - Maybe my mind will change about the way I think about relationships. Who knows --

I've never been put in a position were I'm in a serious relationship and been given the opportunity to cheat but I still stand by what I say and except that you can Never say 'Never'.

As many things in life, you can never plan or guaranntee what you may do in the future.
  • Options
    Miffy, you do seem to have more experience than me, so I can't argue with that as for me, I can't bare the thought of being in a serious relationship myself so maybe that's why I can't see it your way. Maybe one day I will - Maybe my mind will change about the way I think about relationships. Who knows --

You're 19! The last thing you should be worrying about is serious relationships, take it from me. One day the person will come along who will change your mind.
  • Options
    Thing is, how old are you? I mean, it's one thing when you're 15, 16, even 18....but it's another altogether if you're still doing it, a serial adulterer when you're like, 40, leaving a string of abandoned wives and damaged,confused children in your wake.

I was 19 at the time, actually it carried on past my 20th birthday because I recall I got a rather nice present from the girl! :naughty:
  • Options
    You're 19! The last thing you should be worrying about is serious relationships, take it from me. One day the person will come along who will change your mind.

Well at least we can agree on that :yes:
  • Options
    Sorry, but things don't just "happen". Sure you can develop "feelings" for somebody else, but fancying somebody doesn't mean that you have no choice but to fuck their brains out.

People need to take responsibility for their actions. Cheating isn't an accident, cheating is a definite action- it may not be intended at the outset, but there is intention there. the thought is "I have a girlfriend, but I want to screw this other girl, so sod my partner, I'm going to cheat". It is intended, unless you are date-raped or something.

People need to develop morals, even if the relationship is just a fling it's a bit off to start screwing somebody else without even letting your partner know. And yes, that is a tad hypocritical of me, but one lives and learns.

To err is indeed human, but if there was anything to a relationship at all then cheating wouldn't even enter the equation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Sorry, but things don't just "happen". Sure you can develop "feelings" for somebody else, but fancying somebody doesn't mean that you have no choice but to fuck their brains out.

People need to take responsibility for their actions. Cheating isn't an accident, cheating is a definite action- it may not be intended at the outset, but there is intention there. the thought is "I have a girlfriend, but I want to screw this other girl, so sod my partner, I'm going to cheat". It is intended, unless you are date-raped or something.

People need to develop morals, even if the relationship is just a fling it's a bit off to start screwing somebody else without even letting your partner know. And yes, that is a tad hypocritical of me, but one lives and learns.

To err is indeed human, but if there was anything to a relationship at all then cheating wouldn't even enter the equation.

:yes: Zactly.
  • Options
    Yup, I cheated on one of my boyfreinds. I was really bored in the rel anyway, so when one of my so called mates spiked my drink i didnt even think twice about pulling this other lad.
    I got what was coming to me tho, cos i lost my bf and had my dairy read. Really screwed my head up. but i deserved it.

Now when danny told me he cheated on me i was heart broken, i felt like i could have died. But he wouldnt come near me cos he said he felt so bad so i stupidly told himthat i had cheated too a while back (big hairy lie) so that i could have a hug.

Now i'm with lee, I wouldnt even dream about looking at another guy in that way, let alone cheating on him. It took me so long to get with him. I had to steal him away from his ex. for two months me and him were going out behind her back.

Ive chatted shit sorry. but blah...its all relative
  • Options
    Originally posted by briggi
    To err is Human, To forgive is Divine.

Sorry but I dont understand this phase would you mind explaining to me please.
  • Options
    Err, you've kind of got me there Zella! It's one of those platitudes I use cos I know what it means in my mind...I'll try and explain it though. Suppose it just means when people do things wrong we should always try to forgive them because all people make mistakes, being human! And that to forgive them shows a great understanding and compassion, I suppose...which is closer to being heavenly, or divine..or whatever word you'd choose.

Sorry that didn't make much sense, hard to explain! :eek2:
  • Options
    No, I got the forgive part. I always forgive people no matter what they do cos thats the way I was brought up. I ment the "To err is human" part.
  • Options
    Just means to make mistakes or errors is a human trait, we all do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    Sorry but I dont understand this phase would you mind explaining to me please.

I think it's like 'to error is human, to forgive is divine'.

So it's normal to make mistakes, and better to forgive people.

That kinda thing I think.
  • Options
    twice.. regret it .. nuff said.

cheated on by my 'gf'... just the once.. proper cut me up.. should have learnt my lesson.. !!
  • Options
    err means "to make a mistake".

The sentiment is that everyone makes mistakes, but it takes a really good person to forgive those mistakes.
  • Options
    Nope... I doubt I'd ever cheat.