Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I am an Upper Class boy. Are you?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: I am an Upper Class boy. Are you?
    Originally posted by byny

What do you think of people who listen to both bach and Britney and see the value in both!
    i don't think he'll be able to get his little head round that ...
  • Options
    morrocan roll
    did it ever dawn on you that people in a council house get just as annoyed by the endless bass beats coming from some dicks car as those in a private house

As the endless bass beats coming from same dicks car outside the family home in the not m/c area in question, I'd ask why no parental disapproval of their offsprings noise, a) don't care or b) scared of their offspring

Anyway it's not a feature (thank god) in my own area

Driving around with torture noise levels of disagreeable shite music they're a) tone-deaf b) soon to be stone-deaf

That's moronic and it's not what I do so I look in the mirror with a clear conscience
  • Options
    you ain't got a conscience
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I am an Upper Class boy. Are you?
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    No he didn't make a mistake.

He wrote criterias for what defines someone from the lower class.
    While you (British people) would connect class with financial status and/or job, he thinks it depends on behavior.

So ultimately he says that a factory worker with a minimum wage can be upper class if behaving according to his view of how an upper class person should be.

Ahhhh I see *blush* my appologies
  • Options
    ladymuck, where is this crime free, noise free paradise you live in, this veritable garden of earthly delights? Tellytubby land?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Fuck off ladymuck

Sound argument as always there Blagsta.
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    Sound argument as always there Blagsta.

Valuable contribution from you there.

Well done. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ladymuck, where is this crime free, noise free paradise you live in, this veritable garden of earthly delights? Tellytubby land?

Crime tails off greatly past the North Circular, I don't know much about S. London, I went through it a while back, Bromley looks quite nice:)
  • Options
    It's obvious everyone has a different view on lower class/working class and middle class etc. boundries. Some people obviously see lower class as people who are basically chavs and/or living in council housing whilst some other people regard the boundry to be much higher: like if your earning 50k a year!

I think that is what all this argueing is about - not that anyone is trying to be insulting but people are seeing the class boundries in completely different places!

If there are some set rules for classification can someone give me a link please? :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Crime tails off greatly past the North Circular

Yes of course dear, whatever you say. :rolleyes:

its the mad aunt syndrome again
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Yes of course dear, whatever you say. :rolleyes:

its the mad aunt syndrome again

Jesus... this is the politics & debates board... Not the school yard arguement boards...

Why do perfectly sensible debates that could be quite engaging always end up with slagging matches between people?

We're all adults... right?
  • Options
    crime comparison across north circular road

Blagsta, you're running on empty and you know it

(not that I expect you'd know where the north circular road is - if you get mobbed by Roma gypsies at traffic lights you're probably on it)
  • Options
    That proves nothing about "the north circular" and you know it.
    Its comparing 2 boroughs, well woohoo. :rolleyes:

And you had to get a racist comment in didn't you?
  • Options
    And anyway, no one is saying that inner city areas don't have more problems than suburbia.
    What I am saying however, is that your assertion that the suburbs are some kind of crime free utopia and the inner city is some kind of Dante's Inferno is completely ridiculous.

And why this fixation on the magical properties of the north circular? Been reading Iain Sinclair or something?
  • Options
    Looking at Lambeth

Lambeth is quite a bit worse than Haringey in respect of violent crime so my general assertion holds, the suburbs are quite a bit more peacable than inner city areas.

(This Borough-wide comparison gives a slightly false impression as all Boroughs, Enfield, Barnet have pockets of high-crime which bump up the figures)
  • Options
    And? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    and nothing, you queried my assertion about crime above the north circular
  • Options
    Who gives a fuck?

What are you trying to say?

Why were you disappointed the other day that the government doesn't offer crime breakdown by race?

What's your fucking obsession with 'Roma gypsies'?

Are you sure you're posting on the right board? I can think of another where you'd feel rather more at home...
  • Options
    Who gives a fuck?

Find another thread then
    What are you trying to say?

I'm not trying to say anything
    Why were you disappointed the other day that the government doesn't offer crime breakdown by race?

I'd like to have known as I needed it for purposes of argument
    What's your fucking obsession with 'Roma gypsies'?

i'm bored with telling them to fuck off, maybe I should leaern Roma to make it more interesting
    Are you sure you're posting on the right board? I can think of another where you'd feel rather more at home...

yes, are you?
  • Options
    Where are all these Roma gypsies you see all over the place but nobody else has (other than perhaps the Daily Express)?

Oh, hold on... The North Circular!

:D
  • Options
    Where are all these Roma gypsies you see all over the place but nobody else has (other than perhaps the Daily Express)?

'but nobody else has'- must be a lot of blind people in London

You can see or not see whatever you please
  • Options
    I've seen Roma in this country. Just as I've seen people of almost every other race and nationality.

I've even seen a few of them begging at traffic lights- just as I've seen people of every other race and nationality, including white 'native' British people, doing the same.

What I haven't seen yet is the legions of aggressive 'Roma gypsies' harrassing or robbing people at every corner or traffic light, as you appear to indicate to have seen.

Lucky me eh?
  • Options
    At a certain time a whole troupe come 'off work', it's like a small factory shift leaving. They're insensible to changing lights and are are source of hooting and irritation (some have lost limbs maybe on account of thier antics) . there've been thefts reported in the local rag, I was on other side and couldn't see a car for the wall of them hassling, what was going on there, I couldn't say.

It had stopped but they are one-trick ponies it would seem

Have they come to UK to be unwanted human wind-screen wipers?
  • Options
    and nothing, you queried my assertion about crime above the north circular

And you've not backed it up. All you've done is post crime stats in 2 boroughs. How this proves the magical properties of the north circular, I don't know. :confused:
  • Options
    At a certain time a whole troupe come 'off work', it's like a small factory shift leaving. They're insensible to changing lights and are are source of hooting and irritation (some have lost limbs maybe on account of thier antics) . there've been thefts reported in the local rag, I was on other side and couldn't see a car for the wall of them hassling, what was going on there, I couldn't say.

It had stopped but they are one-trick ponies it would seem

Have they come to UK to be unwanted human wind-screen wipers?

Have you sought professional help about this obession?
  • Options
    Thank everybody for comments. Especially people who agree with some my ideas. Truth be told I was awaiting more negative reaction.
    Short answers for some questions.
    You are contradicting yourself with that state, being that you yourself refer to yourself as upper class.
    Though I have to say that I agree with some of your points.
    No, there are not contradictions. I define Upper Class as a set of individual qualities, not as belonging to some group.
    Originally posted by lukesh
    I must be lower class then.
    Be Upper class. Nobody forbids you from growing. Classical music is hard for newbies but when you start listening you’ll understand it more and more and will realise what a wonderful thing you missed.
    I'm sure all those blokes say to each other 'me and you, mate is working class coz we don't own no means of production, know wot I mean'

bizarre
    Blagsta uses that stupid Marxist definition of working class. Bureaucrats don’t own means of production, are they working class? A friend of mine is certainly working class, he is a construction worker, but he owns means of production, lots of them. His laser only costs $4.000.
    I think you misunderstood him. He didn't say that the lower class as you know it in England is like that.
    But rather that lower class people, cand be defined by those criterias, rather than the ones you usually adhere to.
    You understand me correctly Jacq.
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

…I prefer a bottle of 9.99 Vodka to a 4.99 bottle of wine :rolleyes:

You are trying to say you are an alcoholic?
    Just kidding!
    Originally posted by byny
    These are just snobbery and show a complete lack of understanding aout diversity in entertainment...

What do you think of people who listen to both bach and Britney and see the value in both!
    I never said listening to Britney defines lower class. My original words: People who never listened to Bach and Mozart but have nerve to judge whether Britney or Ice Cubes is ‘sweeta’
    It seems you confuse diversity and ignorance.
  • Options
    You really are quite a confused little boy aren't you?

You call yourself an anarchist, yet dismiss that your relationship to the means of production defines class.

Go back to your books and try again.