Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

ISLAM on TV in next month [129]

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    India isn't even a Muslim country so that comment doesn't make much sense.

Islam is the second biggest religon in India with over one hundred million followers. Almost as many Muslims live in India as in Egypt and Iran combined. True, India is not a an Islamic state but don't think that they are some tiny minority ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Teagan
    Islam is the second biggest religon in India with over one hundred million followers. Almost as many Muslims live in India as in Egypt and Iran combined. True, India is not a an Islamic state but don't think that they are some tiny minority ...

Exactly, but then i wouldnt know what iam talking about so just leave the argument already :rolleyes:

Britain is not an islamic country, but is becoming that way, does not mean its not followed here!
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    Exactly, but then i wouldnt know what iam talking about so just leave the argument already :rolleyes:

I wasn't addressing you - I was adressing PussyKatty. And what are you on? This is an open discussion board so I can add my ten pence worth whether you like it or not. Already.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Britain is not an islamic country, but is becoming that way, does not mean its not followed here!

And you wonder why people think UKIP are a racist party............
  • Options

LOL! :D

How is Britain becoming Islamic? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Teagan
    Islam is the second biggest religon in India with over one hundred million followers.

From a population of...? Somewhere near 1bn isn't it?

That would hardly give Devil licence to refer to it as a "muslim state" would it?
    Almost as many Muslims live in India as in Egypt and Iran combined.

A meaningless statistic.

You could also argue that as many, if not more, christians live in the US as in whole of Western Europe.

The constituent populations are not equitable, so comparisons are irrelevant. Unless of course you want to look at the percentage of their populations who are part of a specific religion...?
  • Options
    Britain is not an islamic country, but is becoming that way,

Please explain, in what way is the UK "becoming" an islamic country?
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I'm not normaly one to use such language, but everyone else seems to be doing it these days so I thought I'd join in.
    Oh, I don't have a problem with the language. Just bemoaning the fact that much as I would like to see a Muslim viewpoint expressed on this board (even by a supporter of al-Muhajiroun), it's unlikely to happen. One gets closer to the truth if all opinions are available.
  • Options
    this thread seems to be a bit all over the place....

erm...what would you like an Muslim opinion about?

and i don't see how Britain is becoming a Muslim country in any way. you're always going to have some fanatics for every religion...i wish people would stop believing that ALL Muslims are fundementalists.

i'm a Muslim, i believe in my religion but i'm in no way at all extremist!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    LOL! :D

How is Britain becoming Islamic? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Maybe it seems that way because Christianity is in decline (blatantly) and possibly Islam is on the increase? Doesn't make the UK Islamic though, but perhaps a lot of Muslims who come here may appear more hardcore in practice that a lot of native Christian brits?

Doesn't bother me, maybe if we're faced with people from different religions and backgrounds in our own country when we're young, we'll learn to tolerate it more and generations may be less xenophobix in the future.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Naz
    this thread seems to be a bit all over the place....

erm...what would you like an Muslim opinion about?
    If I'm being completely candid, despite what I said about al-Muhajiroun (although I'll take them in a pinch, though I can't see them not seeing this board as totally haram), I would really welcome a POV that helps to dispell the lazy prejudices encouraged by the right wing idealogues. Cheesy as it might sound, I challenge the more outrageous claims about Islam taking over the world and stuff, but I'd rather see more moderate Muslims doing it, and they just seem to be be keeping their heads down. For example, on an otherwise great site called Trackpads, a poster called Snowden misses no opportunity to lambast Muslims over their 'true intentions', but is reticent about taking the opportunity to discuss the matter further on YMonline. She has 'Muslim friends' who want to protect her from 'the Jihad', but don't seem to have a problem with her views about Mohammed ('brigand' is the least offensive epithet). Right now, she has a clear run, so if you know any Muslims online with military experience (it's a military-related site), their input there would be welcome.

And Naz, don't take this the wrong way but, being as how I don't see many Muslims around here, I checked out some of your posts, and... again, don't take this wrong but... you're not exactly a... typical Muslim, are you? Given the strictures and tabboos of even the less extremist Muslim community... er, how's that working out for you? :nervous:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    And Naz, don't take this the wrong way but, being as how I don't see many Muslims around here, I checked out some of your posts, and... again, don't take this wrong but... you're not exactly a... typical Muslim, are you? Given the strictures and tabboos of even the less extremist Muslim community... er, how's that working out for you? :nervous:

:) no offence taken, no i'm not a 'typical' muslim, but i still believe in my religion and respect it. to be honest, there are so many variations on all religions now, i doubt you could find a 'typical' muslim...people change things to suit themselves too much.

and i understand what you're saying about muslims who aren't extremists speaking out. i feel i fit into that category. thing is, i personally feel people are just too quick to judge and i think i can't be bothered with people like that. cos i kno the truth.
  • Options
    Woah a bit obsessive. I don't like people trying to force their religious views on me that's why I always close the door to Jehovas Witnesses and the likes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Eeyun
    Woah a bit obsessive. I don't like people trying to force their religious views on me that's why I always close the door to Jehovas Witnesses and the likes.

errmm....how was that obsessive? i would never try to force my views on others and thats not what i'm doing at all. :confused:
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't mean you mate.

I was on about that Aisha person.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    From a population of...? Somewhere near 1bn isn't it?

That would hardly give Devil licence to refer to it as a "muslim state" would it?

A meaningless statistic.

You could also argue that as many, if not more, christians live in the US as in whole of Western Europe.

The constituent populations are not equitable, so comparisons are irrelevant. Unless of course you want to look at the percentage of their populations who are part of a specific religion...?

Um ... I was in no way supporting Devil. I was pointing out to Pussykatty, for her interest, that India is not just a nation of Hindus as people often assume ... and that after Hindus (but before Sikhs, Buddhists, Christians etc) that there are a shed load of Muslims. I agree, India is not a Muslim state at all but there are many of them. Sorry for any confusion.