Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

ISLAM on TV in next month [129]

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So far this year there's been a few programmes.

Quite alot of Islam related TV in the next month.

Sun 25 Apr CH4 "The Children of Abraham" 8-9pm Part 1 of 3
Jews, Christians, Muslims.

Wed 28 Apr CH4 "Shari'ah TV" 00:10-01:10am Part 1 of 5
Questions asked by non-Muslims and Muslims to a panel of scholars.

Thu 29 Apr BBC1 "Question Time" 10:35-11:35pm
Special Guest: Highly articulate Shaykh Hamza Yusuf Hanson, the
American Revert Scholar.

More detailed info on these programmes plus a Channel4 link to
"Shari'ah TV" website in the first URL below:

These are updated weekly:

Islam on TV:
http://www.therevival.co.uk/articles/Islam_on_tv.htm
http://uk.geocities.com/plimfix/tvguide1.html

Religion/Spirituality on TV and Radio including Islam:
http://www.culham.info/tvr/listnext.html

Please inform if you know any other URLs so programmes aren't missed.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, maybe it's about time Muslims were portrayed in a more positive light, perhaps it will enlighten those who believe them to all be 'wife-beaters' and 'suicide bombers'.

I'd be interested in learning about Hinduism and eastern Philosophy too.

How come some people call Muslims 'Moslems'?
    Originally posted by J
    It would be better for someone to pop down and tell us which one to listen too. All this shit is confusing the hell out of me, it's completely fucked my brain up. Way to make a man insane.
    I'm a philosopher and always will be hopefully, although these seeds haven't done me any favours for my once sound judgement and fix on reality.
    Given that most Muslims (Aisha seems to be a rare exception) are touchy about scatalogical language, and would regard any message board that permits such to be 'haram', you could be waiting a while. I would have liked to recommend TheSite to the folk on YMUK.org (not to mention a teen news forum I moderate), as the discussion on here about the Middle East is more balanced than on many boards, but that's not going to happen, obviously. Of course, I have no right to lay down rules of conduct, and usually earn myself a lot of grief (and the occasional ban) for objecting to censorship, but it's a shame that inter-faith dialogue should be stymied because of a lack of linguistic imagination.

NB: I haven't been around much lately. Do we have an aspiring troll ready to chip in about Muslims not being so 'touchy' about the killing of innocents?
    Originally posted by J

It's all philosophy if you ask me, the only difference is someone decided to use the thought of an unseen being to scare you into doing stuff, or to make you feel guilty if you don't.

I agree, that's what religion, doctrine and the promise of a good afterlife is all about. You could criticise Christianity with that too... a spiritual oxymoron so to speak. Yet it inspires... and anything that inspires can't be so bad...

But yeah, can't say I'm an expert on Islam, I only really know anything on paganism/the occult and Christianity.
    I would be more tempted to watch these programs if the general Muslim population voiced more vocal protest against the work of Islamic terrorists.

If Westerners can march on the streets of London protesting against our country's involvement in the Iraq war, why does the Muslim community not hold a mass protest against those in it's ranks who hijack Islamic teaching to spread terror and destruction (as, for instance, the Basque population protest against the work of ETA in their name)?

It's all very well for the Muslim community to complain that they are not getting a fair press in the West but a more vocal condemnation of their own religious extremists would help to rebuild the trust between the societies. Their rather weak response and protestations thus far does not give me any inclination to seek out any 'attractive' side to the Islamic faith. It's a shame really.
    Nice to see that a discussion has followed, for once, but is anyone else bored by this troll?
    More of a spammer than a troll, but yes, I agree it is quite tiresome...
    Originally posted by Teagan
    I would be more tempted to watch these programs if the general Muslim population voiced more vocal protest against the work of Islamic terrorists.

I think it was on London Tonight the other day where Muslims were marching with banners about not supporting terrorism, so there you go.
    Originally posted by dantheman
    I think it was on London Tonight the other day where Muslims were marching with banners about not supporting terrorism, so there you go.

Hmmmm ... not much good to those living outside the London area.
    Most marches take place in London.
    And fwiw, all my Muslim friends and colleagues condemn terrorism.
    How about Christians also condemning Bush and Blair's fundamentalist Christian state sponsored terrorism?
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Most marches take place in London.
    And fwiw, all my Muslim friends and colleagues condemn terrorism.
    How about Christians also condemning Bush and Blair's fundamentalist Christian state sponsored terrorism?

They do .... the Archbishop of Canterbury, for example, has been very vocal ...
    Sunday 2 May

CH4 "The Children of Abraham" 8-9 pm Part 2 of 3

BBC1 A Muslim in the Family 11:30 pm-12:00 am
    Converting to Islam isn't an obvious choice or an easy one in the current climate, either for converts or their families. So, why have 14,000 Brits taken that leap of faith?
    Originally posted by Teagan

If Westerners can march on the streets of London protesting against our country's involvement in the Iraq war, why does the Muslim community not hold a mass protest against those in it's ranks who hijack Islamic teaching to spread terror and destruction (as, for instance, the Basque population protest against the work of ETA in their name)?

It's all very well for the Muslim community to complain that they are not getting a fair press in the West but a more vocal condemnation of their own religious extremists would help to rebuild the trust between the societies. Their rather weak response and protestations thus far does not give me any inclination to seek out any 'attractive' side to the Islamic faith. It's a shame really.

In some Muslim countries demonstrations are illegal.
    Welcome back Aisha, not seen you around for a while. How's it hanging.
    For Moonrat:
    Muslims, or the Muslim People-Plural
    Moslem/Muslim-Singular

i think thats right.
    Anyone signed on now might be interested in this, going out on Radio 4 (repeat) now:

The Reith Lectures: Climate of Fear

It's important to listen to it live, even though you'll miss the beginning few minutes, because I don't think the question and answer section at the end is included on the web broadcast, and there are some very interesting, provocative questions this week regarding Israel and such (the Q & A starts at about 10:45pm).
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    In some Muslim countries demonstrations are illegal.

I was thinking more of Muslims in the West ...
    Tues midnite

0:00-01:00 Sharia TV - Channel 4

Last in the documentary series examining the implications of being born British and Muslim. In this episode, a studio audience from a variety of different faiths challenge the experts on how Islam views and engages with other religions. Presented by So Rahman.
    Panorama BBC1 10.15-10.55pm Sun

http://www.bbc.co.uk/panorama

Covering Up.
    Investigation into Muslim identity in Britain and how many feel threatened by the public majority in the wake of the actions of worldwide Muslim fundamentalists. Four young British Muslim women explain why, despite misunderstandings, stares and insults, they choose to dress in the traditional way.
    Can't we ban the troll?

Rather than joing a debate we seem to just get a series of adverts... it's getting a little boring now...
    watched prog for a while - got bored

Felt sorry for indoctrinated young women
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Felt sorry for indoctrinated young women

Hello Mrs Pot.

You know that's almost as funny as your "If I was racist" comment... I love irony.
    So then people answer me this one, when Robert Kilroy Silk (sacked KKK whatever he is called in the playground these days!)
    was sacked for generalising and 'implying' racism he was the LOWEST OF THE LOW! or SCUM or DIRT ETC! but when muslims get together and put 'whites' down (yeah i have replayed it on that sky recorder thing! very good if you wanna watch things over an over, such as music anyway...why when the womam said "protect us from wh....them" presenter says "who is them?" woman = "the people who dislike muslims" Why are they respected and persecuted? :confused:

Gotta be VERY clever to recognise that, or just be able to see the flaws in everyone not just whites who people think are racist!

Also why when Muslims are here, "we should respect and follow their dress, making allowances" but if we wore a bikini or strappy top or even shorts or skirt...we would be stoned! When my mate went to India to work in an hospital she was warned that she could be in much trouble if showing flesh!..... Pot Kettle Black?
    Uno, there's nothing wrong with disliking people that dislike you. Which is why it isn't wrong of her to come with such a statement, as she didn't say "white", "causcasian" or anything like that.

Dos, we pride ourselves about being free and democratic in this part of the world, and that is why we don't enforce people wearing something they don't want to. If we did, we wouldn't be able to claim being better than the countries you're talking about.
    Asking for protection from people who dislike muslims is not racism...

If she had asked from protection from "whites" that would have been different because she would have implied that all whites were a threat.

You are right in your general principle that not all racists are white, though. Doesn make you racism right though, does it? You cannot complain about anti-white racism all the time you support anti-muslim/a.n. other racism.
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Uno, there's nothing wrong with disliking people that dislike you. Which is why it isn't wrong of her to come with such a statement, as she didn't say "white", "causcasian" or anything like that.

A few muslim lunatics started a war against Western Christian Civalisation, they hated, we dislkied them for that! they can generalise but we cant? Where is the fairness in that?

She started to say white but corrected herself, but we started to say muslims but changed our wording we would end up like Kilroy! Double Standards anyone?
    DEVIL, if you're suggesting that anyone here is supportive of the fundemental muslims, who have made it their goal to erase westen culture, then I see no reason to discuss this with you.
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    A few muslim lunatics started a war against Western Christian Civalisation, they hated, we dislkied them for that! they can generalise but we cant? Where is the fairness in that?

Woah! Look at what you said, it was a "few" muslim fanatics who "started" the war, yet you seem to think that this means that you should distrust all muslims...

You should also consider more about the "westerners" involvement in this whole farce. Unless you think that the attack on WTC was the start of it all...

Perhaps you also need to look at western religious fundamentalists (lunatics?) and the one who is currently the head of state...
    She started to say white but corrected herself, but we started to say muslims but changed our wording we would end up like Kilroy! Double Standards anyone?

You don't know what she was going to say - it could also have been "the whites who hate us..." Again you are making assumptions based on little information.

Oh, and Kilroy's comments were racist.
    Also why when Muslims are here, "we should respect and follow their dress, making allowances" but if we wore a bikini or strappy top or even shorts or skirt...we would be stoned! When my mate went to India to work in an hospital she was warned that she could be in much trouble if showing flesh!..... Pot Kettle Black?

This is such a bullshit non-argument, its pathetic.
    A few muslim lunatics started a war against Western Christian Civalisation,

That could be seen the other way round as well.
    India isn't even a Muslim country so that comment doesn't make much sense.
    Isn't the staus of 'twat' universal anyway? You get 'em everywhere...