Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Upper class......Lower class

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Why would you never do that ?

I like to leave my table clean after me so I place all the used napkins on the tables and pass the plates to waitresses/waiters.........manners in my opinion.

I agree with this, me and my girlfriend have both been waiters (resses) and know it ain't nice so we always try and help sort the table out, its good manners in my opinion.......

Would people say class is more about where you are born and brought up or about where you are now?
  • Options
    I'd be classed as middle class, live in suburbia, went to a local comp/primary school e.t.c. mr average.

Where I work however is mainly an upper class rural area, yes there are a few council estates but there are also a lot of posh estates. The rich people and the farmers are the people I get the most grief off. They are the people most willing to break the rules because they think that having a fast car or having money means they can get away with it.
    Things like dropping litter, parking on double yellows e.t.c. The "lower" class residents are more respectful of authority and are more likely to listen to a request from a police officer.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    I agree with this, me and my girlfriend have both been waiters (resses) and know it ain't nice so we always try and help sort the table out, its good manners in my opinion.......

Would people say class is more about where you are born and brought up or about where you are now?

Over there I have a feeling that you associate it with upbringing and heritage, though if you look at it, it's where you are.
    I mean, your dad may be a builder, but if you are a lawyer, then you aren't working class, due to the fact that you are not a waiter.

Btw, the thing with the plates... Most decent people do that.
  • Options
    But if being working class is about the values you have, the way you behave etc then if you were brought up working class then you may well retain the working class outlook despite leading a middle class life in terms of occupation and income....
  • Options
    Well what are the beliefs of the classes then?

If you ask me, it's all about professional/educational status. Not money, nor manners.

Then again, as I said, it's nothing we pay great interest in here, and my encounters with the division has only been through British books, movies, and this site.
  • Options
    There was an article about this in the paper today, one of Uks bad points is the obsession with class I would say.....
  • Options
    Definitely.
    That, and bad teeth :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Definitely.
    That, and bad teeth :p
    why does everyone think we have bad teeth? this will be another thread. but i can't be bothered.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Braineater
    Nobody is proud to be working class.

I am..
  • Options
    Originally posted by xicoperez
    I am..
    don't know about proud but deffinately glad.
  • Options
    I am of the opinion, that no one should be ashamed. Pride, cn be discussed.