Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why is racism seen to be so bad?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes - but if you are a black man or a chinese man and your whole life is effected by peoples prejudice then something is seriously wrong. Schools should not allow kids to bully anyone - for their race, their religion, their ability.

Workplaces should not be allowed to descriminate.

Everyone has their own prejudices (I don't think that highly of fat people) but it is plainly wrong to deny those people equal rights in the life because they offend you in some way - specially when that offence is caused by somethng like colour. It's plain daft and wrong!
  • Options
    Jokes are all about context and intent. Me telling an offensive joke, taking the piss out of a minority down the pub with my mates is very different from Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson telling the same joke on stage.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Jokes are all about context and intent. Me telling an offensive joke, taking the piss out of a minority down the pub with my mates is very different from Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson telling the same joke on stage.
    i've been to the embassy club and seen bernhard manning ...the place is packed with asian proffesionals and west indians ...roaring with laughter.
    i do suspect that jim davidson is a genuine racist but when you see manning drinking with a couple of black guys in a very warm and fun way ...i think he has redeeming features. it's show bizz to him. ...i could be wrong but my eyes rarely tell me lies.
    of course racism is deplorable but please don't tell me that humour has to be controlled and censored.
    the chinese cockle pickers jokes that were doing the rounds WERE funny ...most people have the common sense to keep these things in context.
    as for the welsh ...i'm married into a very welsh family and living in the heart of the welsh farming comunity.
    there are some very racist welsh people here ...mostly a hatred of the english ...i just take the piss.
  • Options
    I'm not saying that humour should be censored. Just that meanings change with context.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I'm not saying that humour should be censored. Just that meanings change with context.
    exactly blagsta ...so whats all the fuss about?
  • Options
    Something becomes offensive when it offends you. Simple. So one group of Asians may find bernard manning funny, another Asian might not.

I for one would never presume I could approach a black man - whether I knew him or not - and call him '******'.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Schools should not allow kids to bully anyone - for their race, their religion, their ability.

kids who get bullied, if they were to suddenly change into a complete no minority, the bullies wuld find something to pick on still!
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Something becomes offensive when it offends you. Simple. So one group of Asians may find bernard manning funny, another Asian might not.

I for one would never presume I could approach a black man - whether I knew him or not - and call him '******'.
    i don't think that would be considered humour ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i don't think that would be considered humour ...

Some people do. People will aim that word towards me and then laugh to their mates. Do you think that should be allowed? Sorry if I'm being "daft".
  • Options
    Re: Why is racism seen to be so bad?
    Originally posted by Russ T Bitz
    This is one thing I don't quite understand, and I'm hoping someone can explain this to me.

Racism on any level and against any race is deplorable, that's never been a doubt. But then again so is sexism, ageism, homophobia etc but they are not regarded as 'nasty' as racism. Why?

It's as if you can be called sexist, people may frown but it's usually forgotten quite soon. But if you are labelled racist....wow, now that's something terrible.

Why is racism considered to be so much worse than any other form of discrimination?

Thought I'd go back to the original question...

so...

'Racism on any level and against any race is deplorable, that's never been a doubt.' Yes true. (anyone disagree?)

'But then again so is sexism, ageism, homophobia etc' yes indeed (anyone disagree?)

'but they are not regarded as 'nasty' as racism. Why?' - well...to some they are believed to be as nasty as racism, to others they are seen as worse, to others they are all nonexistant, to some they are the realities of every day life - but yes, in general, racism is dealt with more harshly and more effort is put into preventing racism in more places than is put into preventing sexism etc. One reason for this may be that racism was possibly the last of these 'discriminations to fall' What came first, the suffaragette movement or the end of slavery? Was society ever able to 'accept' homosexuality while still being racist? Did we start to understand the equality of the elderly before we understood the equality of black men?

'It's as if you can be called sexist, people may frown but it's usually forgotten quite soon. But if you are labelled racist....wow, now that's something terrible.
    I guess we have often argued on these boards about levels of racism and what is acceptable (is it ok for a blackman to call his friend a 'N****r' but not for a white man?). With sexism I guess there are also percieved different levels. So the oft heard comment that 'a woman's place is in the home' is accepted as just the ramblings of some ancient geezer stuck in a time warp, or a bit of a laugh, while the actions of a boss who sacks a female member of staff because she refuses to sleep with him is rightly stamped upon. Similarly a friend calling someone a darkie in the pub is ignored but a man stuffing a petrol bomb through the letterbox of a black family because they don't like his colour has to be stopped and punnished. What if, though, the friend who calls the black man darkie is part of a gang who terrorises black and asian people in his neighbourhood because he doesn't like their colour. Or the man telling us where women should be is regularly sticking his hand up his secretaries skirt? Where should we start to draw the line, should we stamp it out at source or just wait til the really bad things happen?

'Why is racism considered to be so much worse than any other form of discrimination? Still the unanswered question? All I can say is though I view myself as being open and unprejudiced and 'colour blind' there have been times when I have seen a black man running toward me and I have been scared...and for a second I have known that I am more scared because he is black. I have to remind myself that I am allowing myself to make pre-judgements because of someones colour. The difference between myself and a true racist is that I KNOW I am wrong to feel this way.
  • Options
    Well perhaps I'm hopelessly wrong but in my opinion some forms of discrimination (regarding jokes and snide remarks) are worse than others. As far as I'm concerned there should be a zero tolerance policy regarding racism and homophobia.

With regard to sexism, well I confess to having cracked the old woman joke (as well as the old man joke). Is it sexist? Is it really that bad if I tell a joke reportedly about how bad women are at parking, or how bad men are at hygiene/multi-tasking/describing the length of their knobs? Fuck, I don't think so. We're all know it's a bollocks generalisation nobody with half a brain cell believes. There are some gender-related jokes that can be offensive but god save us all if we reach the point where cracking an innocent joke is considered unacceptable.
  • Options
    So that kind of confirms the questioners bieliefs...Generally speaking Racism is worse than sexism? Perhaps because sexism has been fought against for much longer and much more successfully than racism. There is something (a fear) about the colour of skin that far more widespread than sexism...
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Some people do. People will aim that word towards me and then laugh to their mates. Do you think that should be allowed? Sorry if I'm being "daft".
    that to me doc aint humour ...just plain nastiness or pettiness or even bullying. they should be whacked round the head with a baseball bat.
    even better for these kind of people ...someone the same colour as you ...about six feet four standing with you ..."excuse me what was all that stuff you were saying lads"? ...then the big guy picks them up by the throat and demands they repeat it ...some people need a lesson in manners.

byny ...the black guy running towards you ...shows how fear can be instilled by the media i think ...but like you say ...you know it's wrong and correct yourse f.
  • Options
    Jokes are jokes. We are humans, and we like to laugh at someone elses expense. We always have and we always will.
    The point is, to know when to stop. There is a time and a place for everything.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*

i have seen nasty horrible jokes about dys;exics, epileptics, hearing/sight impairent etc, i think these are sick however know of some who would laugh these off, to me discrimation against disabled person is 10x worse than racism, it is plain evil.
    i have a friend who is dyslexic and i realy take the piss ...i even write letters to him starting at the end and finnishing at the begining and worse1 he laughs his fucking head off and we are very close.
    i have a duaghter who is epileptic ...it doesn't stop the jokes and the piss takes ...it actualy makes it easier to live with.
    have you ever spent time with a group of disabled people? the jokes are relentless and hard hitting. it actualy makes life easier.
    can you comprehend that?
    most jokes about disabled people eminate from the disabled themselves and filter down to the able bodied.
    to be honest i think political correctness and some perverse idea about how to make the world a nicer place has fucking seriously damaged a lot of you peoples perceptions of reality!
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I also heard about warwick university banning all flags from halls of residence, this happened during the world cup in 2002. Stupid also.

I was living off-campus at the time, so I can't be sure, but I had friends living on campus and I'm sure I'd have heard if Warwick Accomodation had issued such an edict. There certainly was no such ban this year for the Rugby World cup, and one of my hallmates has a Union Flag as the main feature in his room and there's never been a problem there.
  • Options
    Thank-you: I stand corrected -- but not surprised. Warwick veterans often refer to Warwick's Hospitality Services department as "Hostility Services". ;) Warwick is a very money-driven university, so it's unsurprising that they'd be over-protective of one of their biggest (student) cash sources: international students.

At least they didn't try the same trick again this year. :D
  • Options
    Believe it or not, I was chatting to Turtle last night, and your name came up...
    Good to see you back, now I hope you'll stay :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Russ T Bitz
    I'm just hoping someone can tell me why it seems that a racist is considered a worse person than a sexist, or a homophobe.

I guess it ain't going to happen!!
    It's because the other isms are based on differences that can't be glossed over (no pun intended). There are significant differences between men and women that will always get in the way of true equality. Ditto for age. Standing room only on the bus? I don't think the octogenarian lady is going to take offence if I give up my seat to her.

Racism, however, is predicated on a 'difference' which makes no difference (the findings of dodgy pseudo-scientists notwithstanding), so it's rightly seen as an ignorant prejudice.

Does that help?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    It's because the other isms are based on differences that can't be glossed over (no pun intended). There are significant differences between men and women that will always get in the way of true equality. Ditto for age. Standing room only on the bus? I don't think the octogenarian lady is going to take offence if I give up my seat to her.

Racism, however, is predicated on a 'difference' which makes no difference (the findings of dodgy pseudo-scientists notwithstanding), so it's rightly seen as an ignorant prejudice.

Does that help?
    That makes sense.
    Im not 100% convinced about the significant differences between men and women that get in the way of true equality. Apart from the obvious reproductive differences, I think any other differences that occur between the genders, also occur just as much IN each gender. ie, youll get weak and strong in men and youll get weak and strong in women. You get a lot of men who are more nurturing and caring than their wives, and whos to say it wouldnt be like that for more people if culture and societal expectations hadnt played such a huge part. Its not a good reason to discriminate, although I do agree that your statement probably answers the OP.