Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Massachusetts legalises gay marriage

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Would you consider that racist if the same was said about people following Islam, Buddhism or Hinduism?

No.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Russ T Bitz
    I'd say the idiots are the ones who make such comments about the Bible without understanding how it is structured.

Blah blah blah.

You've obviously misunderstood the point. Which was - the Bible has been translated and mistranslated and generally fucked around with by people over hundreds and hundreds of years, that the only way to understand the original text is to totally understand the context and the history of the time it was originally written in and to read it in the original Hebrew or whatever language it was written in.
    To take the English translation of the King James Bible as the literal word of God is daft.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    No.

So then why do you dislike Christian fundamentalists? Every religion has it's bad apples (even the path I follow). I don't see how Christianity has such a hard time. I mean as far as 'political correctness' is concerned, you're racist/religiously intolerent if you call anybody who follows the Qu'ran an "idiot", but not if you call somebody who follows the Bible an "idiot"?

I know lots of nice Christians.
  • Options
    Fundamentalist Muslims are idiots too.
    I have no problem with people following any religion, but believing any book to be the literal word of God is foolish. Especially if they use it to justify bigoted opinons.

Luckily I don't know any fundies of any religion, even though I know some Muslims and Christians.

[edited for spelling]
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    I mean as far as 'political correctness' is concerned, you're racist/religiously intolerent if you call anybody who follows the Qu'ran an "idiot", but not if you call somebody who follows the Bible an "idiot"?

What on earth are you on about? :confused:
  • Options
    I mean that Christianity gets a lot of shit these days. For example you can take the piss outta it and apparently it's Ok, but if you slate Islam and especially Judaism it appears to be a problem. In my experience anyway.

For example, Marylin Manson... there would be an uproar if he was anti-Islam or sung songs about Judaism... wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    Most of the time anti-Islamic feeling is thinly disguised racism.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Blah blah blah.

You've obviously misunderstood the point. Which was - the Bible has been translated and mistranslated and generally fucked around with by people over hundreds and hundreds of years, that the only way to understand the original text is to totally understand the context and the history of the time it was originally written in and to read it in the original Hebrew or whatever language it was written in.
    To take the English translation of the King James Bible as the literal word of God is daft.

I see....so I assume you know little about the Dead Sea Scrolls then?
  • Options
    Whats that got to do with it?
  • Options
    I see....so I assume you know little about the Dead Sea Scrolls then?

Didn't think the Dead Sea Scrolls or the Nag Hammadi texts played any part in mainstream Christianity to be honest.
    Most of the time anti-Islamic feeling is thinly disguised racism.

Maybe... but then personally I'd expect somebody who usually seems to respect people's right to their own culture to be above insulting people because they follow a different religion to you.

Ah well, life's full of little surprises.
  • Options
    I haven't insulted anyone's religion. I'm just pointing out that believing metaphor as literal truth is a bit daft.
  • Options
    Such as?

read the list in 1 cor 6
    then try reading Matthew 5-7

my point is people appear to ignore the fact that in the Bible says that being angry is a sin, looking at someone lustfully is a sin. Paul goes on and on about greed, gossip, slander, drunkenness, idleness in the same sentences as homosexuality. YET, Christians tolerate and even participate in “sins” such as drunkenness, idolatry, idleness, gossip, and so on, yet do not tolerate homosexuality.

Any christian (or anyone for that matter) who says their life if pure and they haven't done these things is deceiving themselves. the whole point of the Bible is about the fact that humans are sinful and that Jesus died to cover sins (because the law failed to do this), making humans right before God as in the garden of Eden.

re Jesus and the law, read Matt 5:17

blagsta: I have a lot of time for what you have to say, your knowledge and experience, but i do get fed up with phrases such as "your a fucking idiot then" that litter your posts with quite a frequency.

this reminds me of being at school, which was probably as long ago as your were. Now I admit what some people say might make me think that, but why not try more constructive, let the "idiots" show themselves up.

Would you call someone who can't inject heroin safely an idiot? Maybe, but you would, I am sure, take the time to educate them on how to do it properly. EVEN IF you have to do it every time they come in for an exchange.

Perhaps you can show a little more of the tolerance you have towards friends, colleagues and others to those on the site.