Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Massachusetts legalises gay marriage

Massachusetts has become the first US state to issue marriage licences to same-sex couples. Full story

No doubt the god-botherers will try to reverse the decision but well done to the State! If only this would start a snowballing effect and other States (and countries!) followed suit...

Poor Bush is splitting blood and some people believe his bigotry will actually play against him at the election.

Isn't this your home State Clan? A toast to your folks!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It will be over turned and I think there will be an amendment to the constitution to make sure it never happens again.

Its a shit, but thats how its going to work. They've tried this in California before and it was over turned.

State law is over ruled by National law which is in turn over ruled by international law, thats how it works. So, what we need to do is sneek a bit about gay marriage into an international treaty which the US signs.
  • Options
    Nice to see my home state leading the fight to uphold basic civil liberties, but alas I suspect this political footbal is still very much in play.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    It will be over turned and I think there will be an amendment to the constitution to make sure it never happens again.
    Yup. I looked up the amendments process when I first heard this idea and thought it was unlikely to succeed (only 27 in 200 years!) but the evidence points to the idea that it wouldn't be too hard to get 38 states to agree to the amendment. :(

I guess it depends partly on how the 2004 elections affect the congress' political colours, but from what I know it shouldn't be hard to get 3/4 legislative approval if 3/4 of the states agree. I dunno much about it... but it doesn't look good.
  • Options
    circa 1970: The Republicans were saying how un-American it was to make admendments to a comstitution the fore-fathers had done such a fantastic job making sure all American had civil liberties.

2004: George W. Bush, President of the United States of America and Republican, calls for amendment to the constitution to make sure one group of people can not live as another would live.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I've got nothing wrong with gays, I just don't want my kids being brought up to know that there are men that chomp on each others cocks and fuck each other up the shit pipe. (Kids know what a cock and a shit pipe is before you tell them, and knowing there is such thing as gay wont help them will it now?) It's bad karma. It's bad for your soul. Lets all lull around in the goo.....
    What about your kids growing up knowing there are guys out there who care deeply about each other in a normal, loving way, just like Mummy and Daddy? It's not all about sex.
  • Options
    Well considering that most homosexuals are not prone to just jumping any random hetero regardless of whether they fancy him (or her as the case may be), perhaps the best response is simply to show tolerance and stick with your princess.

You don't base the totality of who you are on your sexual preference, so why define a homosexual purely on the basis of his or her's? Most of decent people like anyone else.

Just ask her bro to respect your preference as you respect his right to his own (so long as its someone other than you).
  • Options
    J, I know you have a right to say all this stuff and I respect your opinions but do you realise just how offensive you are being?

A lot of what you said doesn't seem entirely relevant to the debate, either, to be honest (the stuff about people solving problems with violence) and the comparison between Magic Mushrooms and gay relationships is illogical. Yes, before people were aware of the risk, Aids killed a lot of people. Yes, most of them were gay men. But now the world is changing. Straight people get Aids, too (and, for that matter, always have).

And who cares if your girlfriend's brother fancies you? I bet it bothers him more than you - there's nothing like fancying a straight person!

And what you said about people being gay - I do firmly believe that it's not a choice so there's no logic in your suggestion that "if 2 people want to be gay that's up to them" - and how precisely does it affect you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by
    I do not subscribe to the belief that homosexuality is involuntary.

And?

Whats your point, every action is a choice, what difference does it make to you if I fuck a man or woman in my bed?
  • Options
    And J, the restrictions of the sale of magic mushrooms cant have come as a surprise to anyone.

To be honest I thought it was taking the piss from the start, I've been surprised it took them this long to get round to making a ruling.

The two active drugs in mushrooms have been class A for years.

And, this ruling will NOT make the possession of fresh mushrooms illegal.

But, thats drasticly off topic.
  • Options
  • Options
    as when they interviewd tihs lesbian, all they want is the same legal rights as any other married couple, such a right to see them in hospital, not getting evicted if the person renting dies etc etc and most of all a chance to show how much they care for their other half

if people + churches find it relgiously wrong, they can get married in a civil service or find a church that does let them!
  • Options
    What always interests me is that it is Church groups which oppose moves like this.

Church groups which teach Christianity, the Christian teachings which are based on forgiveness.

Love thy neighbor comes to mind.

Even if God did hate 'fags' as some of the protesters put it so nicely. Would it not be better to let them do it, then you could be safe in the knowledge that they are going to hell.

Or is it your unease at the definte nature of hell or even its existance which makes you want to judge and condem them now?

Do you really think they are going to see the sign and think, "blimey, god hates fags? I never knew that, I better stop"
  • Options
    Originally posted by /i]
    I do not subscribe to the belief that homosexuality is involuntary.

There are many things I don't subscribe to either. Which! for example.

I don't see how that is relevant here though, just as I don't see how your comment is.

Marriage isn't involuntary either.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I'm trying to compare the natural origin of mushrooms to the "natural" origin of homosexuals.

Most homosexuals believe that their experience of love is 'natural'. Their attraction to the same sex feels just the same as the attraction between straight people and the opposite sex. There is nothing they can do to change how they love or how they feel.
    Originally posted by J
    I think I feel bitter because I had a gay sexual experience at a low point of my early childhood and because I was tempted into going back to a grown mans house when I was 15, and because a school teacher took advantage of me a year later. Gay men like young boys, I have experienced and overcome those feelings myself and feel a great deal better for it, I thought this would apply to others because my psychology is reasonably in tune with the way the body is made...

I am sorry that you had a bad experience with homosexuals when you were younger but I object to the statement that gay men are all after 'young boys'. Most are not like that at all. Many old straight men chase young girls so what's the comparison? You had a bad experience. Perhaps you gave out the wrong signals for whatever reason and perhaps the reaction you display is down to you having a deep-rooted feeling of guilt because you actually wanted a same-sex experience? Does that sound harsh? Well, no more than some of the sweeping assumptions you have made.
    Originally posted by J
    How can a gay man be attracted to another man who's 60 years old with a shriveled middle, I find that very hard to imagine.

How do you explain the attraction for straight couples for each other when they both have sagging bellies and tits? What makes them so much more attractive than gay men of the same age? You're being illogical and blinkered.
    Originally posted by J
    I've fucked my life up in spectacular style and now want to be able to turn around and maybe prevent the same from happening to others.

Oh spare us the violin strings. Grow up and move on. Sort out your own psychological scars before trying to impart your irrational thoughts on others. Only then will you be able to help.
  • Options
    Gays should be able to have the same rights as common-law marrieds, but no more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Gays should be able to have the same rights as common-law marrieds, but no more.

I do not believe that they are asking for anything more, just equality in the law - especially for things like pensions, inheritance etc.
  • Options

Why should they be treated any differently Kermit?

Granted Churches may not want to allow the services there, but why not allow them to have the same rights as hetrosexuals.

Why the difference?
  • Options

Which means the right to marry?
  • Options
    Why should they be treated any differently Kermit?

Because I believe marriage is about a man and a woman getting together for procreation and to create a stable family unit- there is no place for homosexuality in marriage.

I see homosexual relationships in the same way as I see common law relationships- about security, but not about marriage.

It's difficult to explain because the terminology is always so vague, but I believe that gays should have the same protection with regards to next-of-kinship and other protection as do unmarried common-law couples, but I believe that the family is the most important social foundation and should have more benefits, and I believe that marriage is the basis of the family.

Of course there are people who marry for other reasons, but most people marry to have a family with their partner. That is how it should remain.
  • Options
    I can see your point, but thats quite a focused view of marraige.

Not everyone gets married just to have kids, most people do it because they want to publicly show their feelings for each other.

It has far more to do with the couple themselves than about future kids.
  • Options
    I can see your point, but thats quite a focused view of marraige.

Not everyone gets married just to have kids, most people do it because they want to publicly show their feelings for each other.

It has far more to do with the couple themselves than about future kids.

I think most people do do it in order to create a family, but as neither of us can prove the argument it doesn't really matter. There's no point it turning into "I say X, you say Y, I say X LOUDER..."

Whilst I have every sympathy with homosexuals who want to marry, I don't think that the point of marriage rests anywhere except with a family. It should be between a man and a woman like it always has been; gays should be afforded protection, but no more protection that any other unmarried couple.
  • Options
    Because I believe marriage is about a man and a woman getting together for procreation and to create a stable family unit- there is no place for homosexuality in marriage.

So much seems to rest on the interpretation of the word 'marriage'. As 'marriage' has traditionally involved some religious ceremony in the past, it seems that as most people in this country are not religious, there is no requirement to hold onto it as the domain of straight couples only.
  • Options
    I believe that gays should have the same protection with regards to next-of-kinship and other protection as do unmarried common-law couples,

That's not very much though, is it?

In health terms your next of kin would be a parent, sibling or child rather than common-law relationship. If I'm not mistaken it's that way with the law generally, isn't it?
  • Options
    Of course there are people who marry for other reasons, but most people marry to have a family with their partner. That is how it should remain.
    There are gay couples who have children.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    That's not very much though, is it?

In health terms your next of kin would be a parent, sibling or child rather than common-law relationship. If I'm not mistaken it's that way with the law generally, isn't it?

As far as I am aware after seven years a relationship is considered "marriage", but I'm unsure, tbh.

The protection without the tax benefits is what I think.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    There are gay couples who have children.

But they didn't come from the gay couple, did they?

Apropos of nothing, I don't think gays should be allowed to adopt or have surrogates either...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Teagan
    As 'marriage' has traditionally involved some religious ceremony in the past, it seems that as most people in this country are not religious, there is no requirement to hold onto it as the domain of straight couples only.

It's more than about religion, it's about the whole basis of marriage as an institution.

I just feel that gays shouldn't be allowed to "marry"; more than anything it's an argument about semantics rather than anything else, but it is what I feel. Any argument is based on personal opinion rather than any "proof"; I just interpret marriage as being about the family not about equal rights. Otehrs may not, but they are wrong:p
  • Options
    Apropos of nothing, I don't think gays should be allowed to adopt or have surrogates either...
    Thought you might say that!
  • Options
    Why do you think that Kermit?
  • Options
    Surely it is a good thing that gay couples can have their relationship legally recognised to the same extent that hetrosexual couples do? I think it is very sad that this is even an issue and that some groups (and presidents) feel that stopping it happening is worthy of their time. With all the problems in the world how is two men or two women gaining next of kin status etc so important. Well done Massachusetts.