Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Christmas....what a joke.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    By this time we are all stuffed so we will crash out on the sofa and watch telly, but you know what to see my Daughters face on Christmas morning is the best and I dont care what anyone else does as long as she has a good time.
    So I assume when your daughters grown up, you'll stop all of these celebrations?
    Just wondering, what are you celebrating exactly on Christmas day? Surely every celebration has a reason behind it....
    Are you celebrating the birth of Christ, or something else...?
    Oh yeah then New Year is for the adults, again as I say always has been and always will be......in my area anyhow.
    Now please....... I'm sure millions of children will be heartbroken if they found out that new years day is only for adults. Has celebrating new years day got an 18 certificate or something???

Btw, how was your Eid-Ul-Fitr? Had a good time?

You do realise that Eid-Ul-Fitr is also a time for getting together with the family, having dinner, giving presents to little ones and poor people etc that is celebrated by the muslim community don't you....

Anyway, what did you do on Eid-Ul-Fitr then??? ....... It was only last week.......
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    because it has evolved from a religious celebration into a cultural celebration.

:yes:

The Santa/St Nicholas and other christian things are just part of the ethos surrounding the 'celebration'. i think its come completely detached from the ethical meaning of it all, for the majority of the population anyway
  • Options
    Originally posted by crescendo
    You do realise that Eid-Ul-Fitr is also a time for getting together with the family, having dinner, giving presents to little ones and poor people etc that is celebrated by the muslim community don't you....

Excuse me Im not a muslim :rolleyes: So dont come here preaching muslim stuff, the thread is about Christmas NOT Eid-Ul-Fitr.
    Sorry if you want to bring other stuff into it then do so, but I aint debating that here.
  • Options
    Btw, how was your Eid-Ul-Fitr? Had a good time?

britain is a predominantly christian country. therefore, as a nation, we celebrate christmas and easter.

i'm sure in predominantly muslim countries, the masses celebrate eid-ul-fitr. but we're not in a predominantly muslim country.
  • Options
    Im not religous but I celebrate Christmas on my own terms.
  • Options
    Excuse me Im not a muslim :rolleyes: So dont come here preaching muslim stuff, the thread is about Christmas NOT Eid-Ul-Fitr.
    Ok, so your not a muslim, and you don't celebrate Eid-Ul-Fitr. Fair enough, that makes sense.

But if your not a Christian, and you celebrate Christmas (to the extent that most British people do) ...... now that DOESN'T make sense.... :rolleyes:
  • Options

But if your not a Christian, and you celebrate Christmas (to the extent that most British people do) ...... now that DOESN'T make sense.... :rolleyes:

Where did i say I wasnt a Christian ? I said I dont go to church, so please dont make assumptions about me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    britain is a predominantly christian country. therefore, as a nation, we celebrate christmas and easter.
    I can just see the Hindus and Sikhs and Christians that live in Pakistan (a predominantly Muslim country) celebrating Eid, and decorating their houses, exchanging presents, and having Eid lunch on Eid-Ul-Fitr... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Where did i say I wasnt a Christian ? I said I dont go to church, so please dont make assumptions about me.
    If you're Christian then what the hell are you arguing for? This doesn't concern you then.
    You're a Christian, and you celebrate Christmas, and rightly so.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Chav
    Pagan
    pay-gan; There is much debate as to the proper definition of this word. My definition is "a Nature-oriented religion". Pagan is derived from the latin "pagani", meaning country. When Christianity gained popularity by converting people in the cities, those still in the country who still held their Nature-oriented beliefs were called "pagans". Unfortunately, over time these pagans who had once had respect in the community were now considered "evil" and were forced to take their beliefs underground where they have survived to this day.

Pagan
    A person who follows non christian or other socially established faiths. They are usually of an earth based faith or religion. This includes family's taught practices that might including witch craft, psychic gifts and the like.

Why aren't definitions of pagans constant?
    How come you chose to be one?

Tom

How would you define a Buddhist? A Hindu? A Sikh? I personally think that any religion or spiritual path would be hard to define to somebody who hasn't heard of it before.

You could argue that the word 'pagan' comes from the Latin term 'paganus' which means 'country dweller' and it generally does mean a person who reveres nature and who also follows a polytheistic religion.

Now if you look at the really old churches you could see carvings of what is thought to have been the 'green man', a representation of one of the gods of the celts (although obviously he would have had a name such as Cernnunos or Herne depending on the deity) in an attempt to try and covert the pagans there. But this is only hearsay, I dun have a link for it :(

Mmm... here's a link that describes paganism in general better better.

Paganism

What made me become pagan?

I grew up as a Christian and attended church in an attempt to try and win my father's love, however it didn't work. Anyway, at the age of 16 I actually looked deeper in to the Bible and found that it didn't work for me in the least, I felt fake attending church but kept at it for fear of being damned to hell. However, I have always had a fastination with the supernatural, divination and the occult since I was about thirteen. I'd been using the pendulum for simple dowsing and at seventeen I started tarot. I've always loved nature too and at the age of seventeen a good friend of mine died.

Man, that bollocksed me up especially as I'd had problems and illnesses too and I had a breakdown type thing of sorts, my body just shut off and I ended up in hospital. Through lots of therapy I got over issues such as my sexuality, my religion and slowly learnt to accept myself and left the unit all fine, recovered and whatnot.

So I spent the next two years just being me, adoring nature and marijuana and the fact that I no longer felt bound to a god that I no longer believed existed. I have always felt closer to nature and animals more than humans anyway, but what friends I had were scared to me.

And one day I just picked up a book called Druidcraft and it inspired me... I'm a very hard person to inspire but it took me. No real commitment, you don't have to prove anything and you can do what you want as long as you don't intentionally harm anybody. It's a religion of poetry, not theology and it's all about acceptance, about worshipping nature and the gods/goddess/mother earth & father sky depending on your path.

It just feels very right to me personally, which is why I chose it and I'm still learning, settling in nicely.

On the topic of Christmas I do not celebrate. This year I will be giving my presents on the 21st of December for Yule so as to keep my mother happy about the togetherness of the occasion. I'll also be joining my collegues for a Christmas dinner next week and will go out with members of my household on Christmas day for dinner... I don't see that as hypocrisy though. There is tradition and then there is religion... besides, Christianity borrows a lot from paganism.

Mistletoe anyone? ;)
  • Options
    If you're Christian then what the hell are you arguing for? This doesn't concern you then.
    You're a Christian, and you celebrate Christmas, and rightly so.

If you start a thread in this forum then im sorry it does concern me and im entitled to give opinion as I see fit.
    If someone wants to celebrate Christmas who are you to tell them just because they are not a christian they are not entitled to?
    Everyone to their own I say, yes I suspect there will be many people celebrating at christmas and im sure there will be many who are not christians but at least they are having a good time showing peace and goodwill. Its one time in the year where most families have a big gathering and I dont care who celebrates it, what religion they are as long as they have a good time.
    shame you cant just let people enjoy it !!!
  • Options
    If someone wants to celebrate Christmas who are you to tell them just because they are not a christian they are not entitled to?
    I am someone who knows that Christmas is a Christian celebration which celebrates the birth of Christ.

Its not like I'm holding a gun up to someone telling them to stop celebrating. I'm only making a point, and many people agreed with my point.

I don't know what non-christians/athiests celebrate on the 25th of December, but it certainly can't be 'Christmas' can it..... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Actually I agree. I don't believe non-Christians should celebrate Christmas. They shouldn't even be entitled to a day off.