Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Christmas....what a joke.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just browsing through this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3244944.stm

How many of you are athiest, or agnostic? I'd say that quite a lot of you are (judging by some of the threads that I've read).

Yet how many of you celebrate christmas, or buy presents at christmas, or have chistmas lunchs and parties etc?

We see it around us every day, and every year. Thoughout the year people go on about how they never step in a church, and how they don't believe in God, yet when christmas times comes, its the only word that comes out of there mouths.

Loads of my mates have said that they don't believe in god, but that doesn't stop them jumping on the bandwagon at christmas time.

WHY??? I don't get it. I don't see them celebrating Yom Kipur or Divali or Eid-Ul-Fitr or anything else.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Christmas....what a joke.
    Originally posted by crescendo
    I was just browsing through this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3244944.stm

How many of you are athiest, or agnostic? I'd say that quite a lot of you are (judging by some of the threads that I've read).

Yet how many of you celebrate christmas, or buy presents at christmas, or have chistmas lunchs and parties etc?

We see it around us every day, and every year. Thoughout the year people go on about how they never step in a church, and how they don't believe in God, yet when christmas times comes, its the only word that comes out of there mouths.

Loads of my mates have said that they don't believe in god, but that doesn't stop them jumping on the bandwagon at christmas time.

WHY??? I don't get it. I don't see them celebrating Yom Kipur or Divali or Eid-Ul-Fitr or anything else.
    because we all been conned by big religion who have big investment in big biozz.
    if you look who owns your local shopping centres you will find ...the banks the council and ...the church!
    religion is a racket and a con ...which i know from my study of the bible ...god agrees with me ...if he's still alive and well.
  • Options
    I can understand your point. However, I do believe that christmas has become more than just a religions festival. Not to mention that it is not just a christian religion. Pagans, I think, celebrated it before as it is around the time the day gets longer (something I feel worth celebrating as I hate how dark it gets during the winter where I live).

I celebrate it because my parents do so it's kinda hard for me to say "hey, I don't feel comfortable during this season. I'll be in my room while you eat and open your gift, okay?". My mom would snap. :D Although I dislike how capitalist this season has become.

I guess I wont find out how hooked I am to christmas until I move out though. I sometimes tell myself I am not going to celebrate christmas with gifts and such.. but still... I don't know. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    because it has evolved from a religious celebration into a cultural celebration.
  • Options
    Also, every year several households on my street post christmas cards though our letterbox.

Even neighbours that we don't speak to.

Now we obviously have to give them a card back, otherwise it'll be rude right?

Or I could just knock on their door and say that theres no need to give us christmas cards every year, but that would sound kinda rude as well wouldn't it?

U see where I'm coming from?

Just think how much card, paper, wrapping paper, and money is being wasted every single year for no reason whatsoever.
  • Options
    probably because its a time to give each other gifts, show them you appreciate them etc.

to be honest not a lot of people celebrate it as a religious thing

not a lot of people have nativity scenes and dont go around preaching about "christs birth"

so i say why the hell not?!
  • Options
    jees, lighten up, its christmas, if it cheers people up why mock it? im not saying that the 'meaning' of it hasnt gone, but why be so grr about it? its nice to give and recieve presents.
    its nice to get cards off of people you barely know as its reconginition that they think about you, if only in december.

well, thats my opinion anyways
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    because it has evolved from a religious celebration into a cultural celebration.

Ill go with that too tbh.
  • Options
    When in Rome, do as the Romans do?

I'm Pagan, so I'm giving my presents on the 21st of December for Yule instead. But as for the 25th, my Mum said it'd mean a lot to her if I came for Christmas dinner :( So I gotta.

But personally I don't believe you should be allowed Christmas day off work unless your a practicing Christian... or you could argue your celebrating capitalism ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    if it cheers people up why mock it?

Actually, there are more suicides at Christmas than any other time of the year. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    Actually, there are more suicides at Christmas than any other time of the year. :p

true, but there not gonna call xmas off for that!! its because its a time when everyone is with other people (family, freinds etc) so a lot of people tend to feel more alone at these times
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

I'm Pagan

Whats a Pagan?
  • Options
    but christmas is supposed to be a nice end to the year, all the celebrations and what not; its like finishing off with things and moving towards the next eventful year.
    Its not about religion; it never has been. Not for me anyway. For me, I see christmas as a time to spoil myself and those around for all the shit we've had to go through within the year, and all the great fun we've had also; its like starting a fresh. celebrating the good stuff, and celebrating what you all have to look forward to in the coming year.
    But as I say, for me; the presents are about giving something back to my family and friends to say thank you for putting up with me, im sorry, and lets move foward. The celebrations are celebrations; not about 'christ' or 'god' or anything like that; they're celebrations of reality and all it has in store for us.
  • Options
    I was told Jesus wasn't even born on the 25th of December and thats why I don't get why we celebrate his birth then if he wasn't born then.
    but christmas is supposed to be a nice end to the year, all the celebrations and what not; its like finishing off with things and moving towards the next eventful year.

I agree with you there
    Its not about religion; it never has been. Not for me anyway. For me, I see christmas as a time to spoil myself and those around for all the shit we've had to go through within the year, and all the great fun we've had also; its like starting a fresh. celebrating the good stuff, and celebrating what you all have to look forward to in the coming year.

and I agree with you there too
    But as I say, for me; the presents are about giving something back to my family and friends to say thank you for putting up with me, im sorry, and lets move foward. The celebrations are celebrations; not about 'christ' or 'god' or anything like that; they're celebrations of reality and all it has in store for us.

and there lol
  • Options
    :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    I was told Jesus wasn't even born on the 25th of December and thats why I don't get why we celebrate his birth then if he wasn't born then.

We celebrate Christmas on the 25th of Dec (rather than in June, which is when astronomers think that Jesus was born - bright star in the east, etc) because when Constantine decided to unify Rome under a single religion (which would be Christianity), the transition was made easier by still having the pagan festivals but giving them Christian meanings - hence Yule (which is dec the 21st, as earlier pointed out), was given a fixed date on the 25th - still a winter celebration, but different meaning. There are loads of incidences of transmogrification in Christianity. Easter falls around the same time as the Spring Equinox too :)
  • Options
    I (being highly ignorant to the educational teachings of religion at school) thought it was something to do with 'Jesus' being resurected :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    I (being highly ignorant to the educational teachings of religion at school) thought it was something to do with 'Jesus' being resurected :confused:

What, easter? Yes, that's what it's about. But it (strangely enough) falls at the same time as the spring equinox, which was already a celebration - the current version of the bible wasn't actually written until 4 decades after Jesus' death, so it's perfectly possible that they made up the timings of it - i'm not getting into a debate about IF it happened. I'm just talking about the timings. It's already been fairly certainly proven that he wasn't born in winter.
  • Options
    oh god (pardun the pun) im just too confused. I dont celebrate it for the religious reasons anyway so im not really fussed anymore about why its here and how it came about. but hey - merry christmas everyone!
  • Options
    I am in agreement with you again lol
    We celebrate Christmas on the 25th of Dec (rather than in June, which is when astronomers think that Jesus was born - bright star in the east, etc) because when Constantine decided to unify Rome under a single religion (which would be Christianity), the transition was made easier by still having the pagan festivals but giving them Christian meanings - hence Yule (which is dec the 21st, as earlier pointed out), was given a fixed date on the 25th - still a winter celebration, but different meaning. There are loads of incidences of transmogrification in Christianity. Easter falls around the same time as the Spring Equinox too

and that went right over my head like. lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    We celebrate Christmas on the 25th of Dec (rather than in June, which is when astronomers think that Jesus was born - bright star in the east, etc) because when Constantine decided to unify Rome under a single religion (which would be Christianity), the transition was made easier by still having the pagan festivals but giving them Christian meanings - hence Yule (which is dec the 21st, as earlier pointed out), was given a fixed date on the 25th - still a winter celebration, but different meaning. There are loads of incidences of transmogrification in Christianity. Easter falls around the same time as the Spring Equinox too :)

Oooh. I did always wonder. You clever girlie :)
  • Options
    Whats a Pagan?

The term pagan, looking at paganism today is used to describe a person who follows a polytheistic path of spirituality (i.e. has more than one god) and who reveres nature.

To put it very very loosely. But we celebrate Yule on December 21st.
  • Options
    I just find the whole thing pretty funny, and so do millions of others. People celebrating even though they have nothing to do with the religion, don't believe in god, and have never stepped in a church.

People getting themselves into debt, rushing though town to buy presents, cards, christmas decorations, turkeys, puddings, the list goes on......

We know its the end of the year, but thats what New Years is celebrated for.

As for giving presents and thinking of people, what are birthdays for? Or why can't people give presents on New years day, or Divali, or Eid-ul-fitr, or Yom Kipur, or any other religious festival from any other religion?

Christmas is a Christian festival, point simple, point blank.
  • Options
    People getting themselves into debt, rushing though town to buy presents, cards, christmas decorations, turkeys, puddings, the list goes on......
    Can you imagine how a child would feel if santa brought him no presents ? Im sure he would feel very unloved especially when he went to school and told his friends santa didnt come to him and all his friends had a visit from santa.
    I dont get into debt to buy for my Daughter but i can see why some parents do, they want their child to have a good christmas. To see your childs face light up on christmas morining is fabulous, if there were no pressies then I think it would be a sad time for them.

Christmas is a time for cheer and goodwill, giving and receiving so let people do what they want, they aint doing you no harm.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Can you imagine how a child would feel if santa brought him no presents? Im sure he would feel very unloved especially when he went to school and told his friends santa didnt come to him and all his friends had a visit from santa.
    U see thats the problem here, we're not just talking about kids.
    To see your childs face light up on christmas morining is fabulous, if there were no pressies then I think it would be a sad time for them.
    So the idea is to fool your kids by making them think that they are being brought up in a christian household?
    Christmas is a time for cheer and goodwill, giving and receiving so let people do what they want, they aint doing you no harm.
    So is divali, birthdays, eid, new years, yom kipur, baisakhi.........
  • Options
    Who is fooling their kids ? I aint, my Daughter knows about Christmas and why we celebrate. If you want to have a go at anybody here you need to be saying this stuff to teachers, they teach children at school so if you seriously think children dont know about why we celebrate christmas blame them.

I dont go to church so does that mean its wrong for me to celebrate Christmas ?

Wake up kiddo, Christmas is a time for the children and New Year is a time for the adults, always has been and always will be.

Thank you.
  • Options
    I dont go to church so does that mean its wrong for me to celebrate Christmas?
    Yes, if you don't go to church, and don't consider yourself a Christian, then it is 'strange' that you celebrate Christmas. There are dozens of other festivals. Why Christmas?
    Wake up kiddo, Christmas is a time for the children and New Year is a time for the adults, always has been and always will be.
    Did you just make that up?
    Christmas is a time for children is it? So what about all of the adult christians that celebrate christmas, or the adult athiests who funnily enough celebrate christmas? Don't you see them around you? I sure do.

I'm not a christian, and guess what ...... I don't celebrate christmas, and I don't buy any presents, or decorate my house, or have christmas lunch at christmas time, and I didn't do any of these thing when I was a kid. Did I miss out on anything???
  • Options

I'm not a christian, and guess what ...... I don't celebrate christmas, and I don't buy any presents, or decorate my house, or have christmas lunch at christmas time, and I didn't do any of these thing when I was a kid. Did I miss out on anything??? [/B]

Well you do what you do and leave me to do what I do. For the record YES you did miss out as a child imo, but hey if you think you didnt I will just have to take your word for it.
    I will continue to celebrate Christmas which starts Dec 1st when our Becks starts her advent calender. The next thing we do is put the tree and decorations up. Then I will take Becks Christmas shopping so she can buy her Dad, grandma and grandads a pressie.
    Then wait for santa to come round our street on Christmas Eve which he does every year and he waves to all the kids and gives them sweets. Then on christmas morning no doubt I will be woken at 6 am even though I probably didnt get to bed till 2am because I will have been preparing veg for all my visitors for Christmas Day dinner.
    Oh yes for me Christmas is a time for having a good time, we all have a family get together, we give and receive pressies then just after dinner we will all sit and listen to the Queens speech ho ho ho .
    By this time we are all stuffed so we will crash out on the sofa and watch telly, but you know what to see my Daughters face on Christmas morning is the best and I dont care what anyone else does as long as she has a good time.
    Oh yeah then New Year is for the adults, again as I say always has been and always will be......in my area anyhow.
  • Options
    Im not religious and i dont pretend to be at Christmas time. But, for me, Christmas is about spending time with your family, and exchanging gifts to show your appreciation to them.

And its a good excuse to perspone the diet... :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    Im not religious and i dont pretend to be at Christmas time. But, for me, Christmas is about spending time with your family, and exchanging gifts to show your appreciation to them.

And its a good excuse to perspone the diet... :D

Even though 80% of the people on the board are like this, it STILL isn't enough reason for crescendo.

How many non-Christians put up little pictures of Baby Jesus around the house and sing hymns? I don't know any. Nobody is faking anybody. But in a family that used to be Christian why not? It has changed its meaning, but it hasn't lost. I have Muslim and Hindu friends who celebrate Xmas, mainly becuase they arent't strict religious fanatics.

Isn't it just a time of happiness? ( and shush you with shitty families. It is SUPPOSED to be happy :p )
  • Options
    Pagan
    pay-gan; There is much debate as to the proper definition of this word. My definition is "a Nature-oriented religion". Pagan is derived from the latin "pagani", meaning country. When Christianity gained popularity by converting people in the cities, those still in the country who still held their Nature-oriented beliefs were called "pagans". Unfortunately, over time these pagans who had once had respect in the community were now considered "evil" and were forced to take their beliefs underground where they have survived to this day.

Pagan
    A person who follows non christian or other socially established faiths. They are usually of an earth based faith or religion. This includes family's taught practices that might including witch craft, psychic gifts and the like.

Why aren't definitions of pagans constant?
    How come you chose to be one?

Tom