Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Burn

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was making a cup of tea and got boiling water all down one finger, i've held it under cold water for 5 minutes and by then my finger was starting to hurt cause it was too cold.

anyone got any tips on what to do now, i only had it on my finger for a short period of time so it isn't very serious but its stinging a lot

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Run it under cold water again.

Or wrap some ice/frozen peas/anything frozen in a tea towel or kitchen paper and hold it.
  • Options
    Yeah, keep it cold.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Or wrap some ice/frozen peas/anything frozen in a tea towel or kitchen paper and hold it.

:no:

Do that and it will become cold dependant.
    Don't go any cold than running tap water. As xsazx is offline said, wrap it with something to keep the air from it if it is painful. else your best just leaving it and makign sure it remains clean.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Cold dependant?!?

Never heard anything about that. Running water is best, but if that's not a practical option then something wrapped and frozen is usually deemed to be a suitable substitute.
  • Options
    sudocrem/germolines good for burns.
  • Options
    I burnt my finger on my straighteners the other day and my mum (whos been a nurse for 25yrs) said to never put anything on a burn except for cold water.
  • Options
    I burnt my finger on my straighteners the other day and my mum (whos been a nurse for 25yrs) said to never put anything on a burn except for cold water.

I'm sure I read that somewhere as well. You're not meant to put any creams or lotions on it.
  • Options
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Never heard anything about that. Running water is best, but if that's not a practical option then something wrapped and frozen is usually deemed to be a suitable substitute.

You shouldn't frozen stuff on a burn. Most advice clearly says that.
    Nothing colder than 'cool' water, other wise you can do more damage.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    In my first aid training we were advised that with any burn you need to hold under cold water for at least 20minutes.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, i just kept running it under cold water and i've only got a tiny wee blister now so nothing too bad