Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Aren't driving tests stupid?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Like someone else said, its the best system we have at the moment.

I happily admit I failed my first two driving tests through my own faults. First I stalled 3 times in a row and got a major. Second one I drove into a bush :thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I'm yet to meet someone who failed their driving test because of their own errors.

*raises hand*

Although we haven't actually met.

I didn't use my mirror correctly and I made a mistake reversing into a junction. Shit happens and because I knew what I did wrong, we worked on it and I passed a few weeks later...
  • Options
    I'm yet to meet someone who failed their driving test because of their own errors.

*Raises hand* Me too. I failed a total of five times due to bad luck/nerves/not being a very good driver. I've given up for the time being, I cant see myself learning if I stay in this area either, the public transports pretty good.

One of my friends has just started to learn and I'm not telling many of my driving stories as they may just put him off a bit.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    He was being sarcastic............ :rolleyes: :lol:

Uh... no he wasn't. He was pointing out that the general trend when talking about driving tests was that it's always someone else's fault when you fail, and never your own - despite the fact that there is noone else in control of the car except you.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I think that examiners could be a bit more lenient though, surely they know when a learner is a good driver but makes the odd mistake.

I failed for driving on the hard shoulder on a sliproad for about 6 seconds.
  • Options
    I passed first time with 2 minors after 15 lessons -- however, most of my friends insist i'm a shite driver - most of the time i'd be inclined to agree!
  • Options
    Spoke to my mate, they remember it fairly vividly now actually (they stress a lot).

Basically, it was a bend in a major road, with a sideroad they were on joining it. A car had stopped on the major road, looking down the sideroad as if they were going to go down it, so my mate slowed down, checked to see what they were doing, but they weren't carrying on the main road so they just went on. It was a green citroen C2 apparently :confused:

More chilled out now, just was annoyed because yea, you fail your test because you make stupid mistakes, but in this case it was obviously just poor judgement on the examiners part. Yes, they have been driving longer than most, but they do make mistakes, and whilst it's the best system we have, it's damned annoying when you are on the receiving end of a mistake.

The two minors were for:
    - undue hesitation
    - not signalling early enough (but tbf my friend said they didn't hear the examiner... lol on the fence about that one)

One major, for lack of observation, that fails your whole test, when you saw the car, took an appropriate response (slowed down), then thought what they were doing, then acted proactively in pulling out, I don't see what they did wrong. They say if they do it again they're just gonna wait and see what the other guy does, though he had stopped in the middle of a main road, so why would anyone assume he was carrying on?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

One major, for lack of observation, that fails your whole test, when you saw the car, took an appropriate response (slowed down), then thought what they were doing, then acted proactively in pulling out, I don't see what they did wrong. They say if they do it again they're just gonna wait and see what the other guy does, though he had stopped in the middle of a main road, so why would anyone assume he was carrying on?

I'd have assumed that the other car was turning. But without some kind of indication from the other chap, he would have had right of way and your friend would have been better off waiting, yes.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote: »
    I think that examiners could be a bit more lenient though, surely they know when a learner is a good driver but makes the odd mistake.

I failed for driving on the hard shoulder on a sliproad for about 6 seconds.

Ahh, but if that's the only time they have seen you join a major road, then how do they know that you don't always do that?
  • Options
    If the other guy was still on the main road then it's his right of way and you shouldn't pull out, however much you think he's going into the side road. You'd get marked down for observation for doing that because you either haven't looked properly, or not responded suitably to what you see.

In general driving you would have pulled out and there would have been no problem, but they don't want new drivers trying to make assumptions about what other cars are doing.
  • Options
    Uh... no he wasn't. He was pointing out that the general trend when talking about driving tests was that it's always someone else's fault when you fail, and never your own - despite the fact that there is noone else in control of the car except you.

:rolleyes:

You've both just said the same thing :rolleyes:

Everyone says they failed because the examiner was a twat/the van driver was a twat/the old lady was a twat, and they never say they failed because they ballsed up.
  • Options
    Then again, if the other car was stopped, and you stopped and waited when it wasn't carrying on, the examiner could mark you down for undue hesitation. But it's swings and roundabouts really, you win some you lose some, I'm very confident my mate will pass the test next time.
  • Options
    You've both just said the same thing :rolleyes:

Everyone says they failed because the examiner was a twat/the van driver was a twat/the old lady was a twat, and they never say they failed because they ballsed up.

Exactly. It's never their fault. I've heard some peachy excuses in my time, other than "Oh, I fucked up on <insert driving thing here>".

So, yes, you've just, as Kermit pointed out, excactly echoed what I commented on. :rolleyes: - right back at you.
  • Options

I wouldn't say 'everyone' says that. Me and my friends were talking after I failed my 1st driving test and everyone admitted they'd failed because they'd done something wrong, however small it was.

On a side note, I only got 1 minor (on my second test) and I'm a complete travesty at driving. I had two brilliant examiners though, especially the second one. I pulled off from the test centre, tried to change to 2nd and missed and ended up out of gear and revving the engine. I changed back down to 1st safely and started again but I was in a right flap, he told me not to worry and that he could see that I was nervous. I didn't even get a minor because the rest of my drive was good. Some examiners might have given a minor for gears/control if they were harsh, and if you'd shown bad control of the car on other parts of the test. It all depends on whether you give the examiner a good drive, and if the examiner is nice or nasty! Best not to do anything wrong and they can't fail you then even if they wanted to
  • Options
    Wasn't there someone and before the test had started, the examiner said maybe they weren't ready for the rest.... talk about making your mind up beforehand!
  • Options
    I failed because I think I went through a red light.
  • Options
    True.

I was quite annoyed because I got the head examiner. He had just started back after being in a crash and my examiner told me that he had been very nervous since coming back which made me more nervous because I thought I'd fail.

Didn't help that he looked like the demon headmaster and sounded like a cryptkeeper
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Someone I know just failed, with 2 minors and 1 major. The major was for lack of observation, because apparently at a junction they didn't look. But they did, the examiner was just a bit shit and was too busy being shit. :mad:

I'm really annoyed, because this is the third time they've failed, and each time it's stupiddddd things they fail on, that should be a minor. I reckon the examiners just have a quota tbh, because my friend is actually a really good driver, compared to other people I know who have passed especially.

I know there will be those who say 'if they failed then they're not good enough for the roads', but the examiner said to them:

"It's a tricky junction to see anyway, but you didn't even glance at any of the oncoming cars, you just kept going" which was just simply not true, because they can tell me the cars that were coming to the junction and where they were going! How do you know that without looking?

This friend is You, is'nt it.
  • Options
    This friend is You, is'nt it.

Actually no :D I can't drive!

I've decided though, now I've got the summer and going to get a f/t job, to do something worthwhile - get my bloody bike licence! :D

And sell the 500, cos that doesn't work. Any takers? I reckon if you knew what a carb was, you could fix it, but I don't :(. I've been told they might need stripping, or it might be the fuel line. *shrug*

It worked well to start off with...