Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wiring a light

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In my new bedroom there was a fitted light which was ugly so i took it down and bought a pendant fitting from B&Q so I coukd just put up a shade.

When i went to wire it up I noticed that there was a connector block already there so I just connected the live and neutral wires from the new fitting to the old connector block. The only problem I had was that the wires were coloured RED, BROWN and YELLOW/GREEN. The house is over 20 years old and I didn't think there would be a difference in colurs but since there was I guessed and connected BROWN/BROWN, RED/BLUE.

There was no earth wire connected from the old fitting and I didn't connect the earth this time either.

Could someone tell me if what I've done is right?

Comments

• Options
    I'm pretty sure you don't use an earth wire just to get the light bulb to turn on and off, might be a wire for the casing if it's metallic.
  • Options
    It's possible you could have wired them the wrong way around, because old neutral (black) is now blue in the new standard wiring, and red phase cabling is now the brown stuff. But I'm not sure because you have a brown cable in the house. hmm.

What's more worrying though is the lack of earthing cable in the house. The light fixture is fitted with an earth cable because it needs one. Without connecting it any slight issue is going to leave you with a live fitting, which will be especially problematic if you have fitted the phase and neutral the wrong way around.

Personally, I'd suggest getting a sparky in to check out both your fitting and the electrics in general.
  • Options
    I'm also pretty sure that the rules with lecky have changed and that you can't prat about with it yourself anymore.
  • Options
    I'm also pretty sure that the rules with lecky have changed and that you can't prat about with it yourself anymore.
    Only in England and Wales, I'm sure.

I will get someone to check it out, just wanted to give it a try for myself.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    It's possible you could have wired them the wrong way around, because old neutral (black) is now blue in the new standard wiring, and red phase cabling is now the brown stuff. But I'm not sure because you have a brown cable in the house. hmm.

What's more worrying though is the lack of earthing cable in the house. The light fixture is fitted with an earth cable because it needs one. Without connecting it any slight issue is going to leave you with a live fitting, which will be especially problematic if you have fitted the phase and neutral the wrong way around.

Personally, I'd suggest getting a sparky in to check out both your fitting and the electrics in general.
    That's what confused me too, otherwise I would have been fine.

The old fitting was brass and it didn't have an earth connected at all and I wasn't sure if I needed one. The fitting I bought didn't have an earth wire, just a hollow, plastic earth (green and yellow) cover.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote: »
    Only in England and Wales, I'm sure.

I will get someone to check it out, just wanted to give it a try for myself.

The part p stuff may only be England and Wales. Either way in a bedroom you should still be allowed to do a straight swap for existing stuff.

Worth getting it checked out still.
  • Options
    You can work with existing wiring quite legally but if you do any re-wiring or put in any new wires yourself you must have the wiring checked by a qualified and certified electrician.

My other half is a spark but does industrial so he legally can't meddle with the electrics in our own home without getting a certified electrician to check he's done it correctly.

I'll ask him to look at your query when he gets home :)
  • Options
    Cheers BumbleBee :) I should be ashamed, I work in the lighting department but obviously it's easier in there than in a house.
  • Options
    Pre March 2004 the UK standard for '2 core and earth' cable used in single phase (i.e. normal household) installation was:

Live=Red
    Neutral=Black
    Earth=Green and Yellow (see note)
    Note: the earth feed is normally bare copper in mains installation cable, the Green and Yellow applies to the coloured sleeving which needs to be fitted where the earth is connected to a fitting or appliance.

Post March 2004 the UK standard was changed to:
    Live=Brown
    Neutral=Blue
    Earth=Green and Yellow (no change)
    You may recognise that this new colour coding is the same as used for appliance flexes in the UK for many years.

I've just been doing some research on your earthing problem, however all i've been able to find so far is that if the appliance or fitting HAS an earth wire, then it HAS to be earthed, otherwise if you touch it whilst switched on you'll fry. The only way around it is to contact an electrician who will do the necessary.
  • Options
    Saz - The neutral was actually to the left! I think it must be the same for all lights.

WhoWhere - (welcome back btw) So am I to understand that the brown wire should have been connected to the neutral and the red to the live?
  • Options
    Saz - The neutral was actually to the left! I think it must be the same for all lights.

I'm confused as to how there is a "left" and a "right" when you are talking about a circular fitting. :confused:
  • Options
    Well, I was looking at it straight ahead as I come in the room. I just assumed it would be something like that. I was always told that the neutral was always in the middle for those who are colourblind :confused:
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    WhoWhere - (welcome back btw) So am I to understand that the brown wire should have been connected to the neutral and the red to the live?

Yep. I think that's right. Be very careful though. You never know with old wiring. Get an electrician in (or someone who knows) if in doubt.
  • Options

The brown wire on the fitting will be live, so connect that to the red wire in the ceiling.
    The blue wire on the fitting is neutral so should be connected to the black wire in the ceiling.

Either way though, the presence of an Earth wire on the fitting, but not in the ceiling means you're gonna need a sparky anyway.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The brown wire on the fitting will be live, so connect that to the red wire in the ceiling.
    The blue wire on the fitting is neutral so should be connected to the black wire in the ceiling.

Either way though, the presence of an Earth wire on the fitting, but not in the ceiling means you're gonna need a sparky anyway.
    Although i wouldn't reccomend it to somebody with little or no knowledge of electrics, fitting earth wires is quite simple for those who have worked with electrics before. Not a suggestion for you Jazza, just pointing the idea out :)
  • Options
    I haven't, I dont think Jazza has either :P
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    and who ever asked what we're on about see wiring a plug diagram

Yes, thankyou. I'm not stupid, I know how to wire a plug. The reason I asked was because he's not been talking about plug or socket wiring, he's talking about a light fitting. Going on the basis of a rule that depends on a wire being "to the left" or "to the right" is fairly risky if you are dealing with something that's above your head and where the wires could pretty much be dangling down in any way they choose.
  • Options
    Aye no bother like. :)